Wheels: Loose spokes.

rubber side up
rubber side up Posts: 2,150
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Any particular reason why i'm constantly getting loose spokes on the left side of my rear wheel??? Its a 24" combat/pro II wheel, and i'm using a magura hs33 brake, could that be the problem?

Will be getting it re tensioned in a few days, if it comes loose again, would it be worth sending it to a trials wheelbuilder? Not sure if they are generally built any better or not.. Any suggestions welcome [:)]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
</center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    wheels do that. every time you brake and put power down the wheel does not move at the same rate.

have a sit down with the person who looks after your wheels and ask them to explain. then get into their thoughts on thread lock.

personally a tweek every month or so is no issue.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rubber side up
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

wheels do that. every time you brake and put power down the wheel does not move at the same rate.

have a sit down with the person who looks after your wheels and ask them to explain. then get into their thoughts on thread lock.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    [?] Mail me!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Its not normally an issue, but when its a nightmare getting to the lbs, that makes it a bit more tricky [:D]

I can see i'll need to learn how to keep my own wheels in check.

Also, This has only started since switching to rim brakes. I remember i had the same problem on an old bike with rim brakes, but then i went to discs and never had that problem again. So is it the rim brakes causing the problem?

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • robb_o
    robb_o Posts: 332
    The spokes are always tighter on one side of the rear wheel, because of the dishing.

...if that's any help.

<hr noshade size="1"><h6><center><font color="blue">I like to go for a drive on a bicycle.
    </font id="blue"></center></h6>
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

[?] Mail me!

Its not normally an issue, but when its a nightmare getting to the lbs, that makes it a bit more tricky [:D]

I can see i'll need to learn how to keep my own wheels in check.

Also, This has only started since switching to rim brakes. I remember i had the same problem on an old bike with rim brakes, but then i went to discs and never had that problem again. So is it the rim brakes causing the problem?

Might be worth buying a cheapy wheel and practice spoke tensioning. I was force to learn quickly last weekend when my tyre started rubbing against the seat stay, bike was urgently needed too!
    Its not to hard to improve on a slight buckle, just remember to turn the spoke key the oposite way to what you'd think, I.E. Lefy loosey, righty tighty is wrong!

Nick, Thread lock? Is that a good idea, or are you just going to end up woth loads of snapped spokes rather then loose?

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • rubber side up
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by robb_o</i>

The spokes are always tighter on one side of the rear wheel, because of the dishing.

...if that's any help.

<hr noshade size="1"><h6><center><font color="blue">I like to go for a drive on a bicycle.
    </font id="blue"></center></h6>

Yeah, but theres loose, and being able to pull the wheel a considerable distance in either direction [;)]