Rigid??!?!?

crud_munch
crud_munch Posts: 158
edited June 2007 in XC and Enduro
for general cross country use are rigid carbon fibre forks eg pace or suspension forks eg mx series better?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    personal preferance.

carbon rigid is lighter. and Sus is sus. if you are on smoth paths the sus is not required.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I couldn't live without my MX's... Rigids would beat the cr@p out of me on the descents. they may help on the climbs though.

I guess if your main priority is weight saving, then carbon forks will win hands down, but for the ability to keep your front wheel in contact with the floor on the fast sections and descents, then it's got to be worth the weight penalty...

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • Noodoo
    *damn your Ninja Posting Nick!*
    :)

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Totally agree with Noodoo - I switched to rigids for a ride a while ago and hated every moment of it! The ride was totally not enjoyable! [:(]

S-Works Hardtail:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=124988
  • ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    I really like riding rigid (yes, I get the innuendo!). Its a really great feeling knowing that its only half an inch of tyre squidge keeping you glued to the trails. I don't do long rides on them though, maybe only an hour or two at a time as any more and you end up with aching arms for a week. Its certainly not as fast on the downs and even uphills aren't as quick either as you have to be very careful about line choice.

So basically, on a second bike; yes. On your main ride; no.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Being TOTALLY biased. RIGID ALL THE TIME !!
    Had sus (Rock Shox, Marz and Manitou), went to rigid and never looked back. I've got sooo much more control now.

<hr noshade size="1"><center>Real men keep it RIGID !!</center>
    <center><font color="red"><font face="Comic Sans MS"><b>Part of the Left-handed CommunityTM</b></center></font id="red"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
    Real men keep it RIGID !!
  • Noodoo
    LOL

Bona Pine Cone

excellent.

• mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Rigid also gives you a more efficient transfer from pedals to wheels. Bit uncomfortable though.

<i><font color="red">>>>> Torrent is acomin' >>>>></i></font id="red">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RetroYetiRigid</i>
    Had sus (Rock Shox, Marz and Manitou), went to rigid and never looked back. I've got sooo much more control now.
    If only you'd tried Fox [;)]
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    My Breezer is currently rigid on slicks as its my commuter but it has a flex stem on it :D I think they should make them the world cup dh'ers use them on their bikes lol

2005 Azonic Propulsion
    1998 DMR Trailstar
    1992 Breezer Lightning Pro
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Red Lemon</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RetroYetiRigid</i>
    If only you'd tried Fox [;)]

Never a truer word spoken!

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><center><i>Originally posted by John</i>

It'll be like being tw<s></s>ated in the face by the 60s.</center>
    </font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • I have tried a mates bike with Fox. They were O.K. But not worth changing from rigid.

<center><font color="red"><font face="Comic Sans MS"><b>Part of the Left-handed CommunityTM</b></center></font id="red"></font id="Comic Sans MS">
  • Red Lemon
    Red Lemon Posts: 3,433
    You have to turn off lockout first....
  • I did and wasn't really convinced/impressed. They were F100RL's by the way.
    Also tried Pace. The only XC forks I've yet to try are Magura.

• Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    Pace rigids on my SS are lurvely, Rockshox on my GT I hated so got Maguras now and very impressed with them almost as good as fox forks IMHO. Also got manipoo which are as the name says on my rockhopper. love rigid but not for a full on bike great for training on though and nailing technique.
  • cyclone
    cyclone Posts: 181
    Rigid on a commuter or training bike are good idea but i wouldn't go rigid doing XC or AM

<hr noshade size="1">
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure!?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red"><b>My Spesh</font id="red"></b>
    <b>MB-HP</b>
    I used to be undecided but now I\'m not so sure!?

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • when i sold my first bike with front suspension( hardrbernard mathews! mx comps) i went out on my merida rigid. I went out for a ride did around 15 miles and come home with really sore wrists. Since then i have had sore wrists and have to wear wrist supports whilst out riding. Im sure they are getting better but are still not right, i cant stop riding all together so i haven't give them much of a break. I have been out on tarmac since on the merida but now im weary of riding it off road.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • just go for a fork with lockout so you get best of both worlds

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
    http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    yeah man, rigid forks, they're so cool, why not go single speed on a hard tail running 29 inch wheels?

that way, not only do you have an extremely uncomfortable bike, but its a silly nightmare to climb hills and you become massively limited to the number of components you can fit.

infact, why not go completely retro and fit solid tyres and 16 speed grip shifts!!

<center><font color="black">p7s</font id="black"> Roadie <font color="red">Stumpy</font id="red"> <font color="green">Reign</font id="green"></center>
    <center>shirpy shirpy sheepsteeth</center>
  • BJT
    BJT Posts: 351
    Why not got the whole hog and just ride a penny farthing unicycle with just one 52" iron wheel and no tyres.

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">These are our cars. They drive down our streets. <b>But the psycherlist is waiting...</b>

FlowersTrailsIndignantSheepMoreTrailsChilledSheepRamGateYetMoreTrails
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath

Support the MBA.
    Claim back your illegal bank charges - DO IT, IT WORKS!

</font id="size1">
  • wilson26
    wilson26 Posts: 46
    Suspension fork with lockout, best of both worlds, and you dont have to have 2 bikes!

*Will*

Make tea, not war!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=178097