forks and discs - upgrade help

stuperman
stuperman Posts: 4
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
i bought scott scale 70 to get back into biking after a long absence. im not overly happy with the rock shox dart 2's. im looking to upgrade to a more versatile freeride kind of fork like Z1's or something but noticed since i last looked at forks there seems to be axle's or spindles already with the ford. does this mean replacing the hub or wheel?? the rock shox argyle looks good, as does the marzzochi Z1.

I'm also loking for hyd disc brakes to replace the v-brakes that came with the 500 quid 07 bike (can you believe it!) they were the new thing when i was just leaving mounttain biking behind. along with magura hyd brakes which dont seem too pupular now... even their disc brakes. so much has changed. I'm looking at the hope mini mono.

your help in bringiing me up to date is much appreciated!

stuperman

sdarney
sdarney

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    right the frame you have is a good XC frame. as used by most of the scale range.

the two forks you mention are not suitable.

have a look at the RS tora range (lowish cost) next up groupe from the darts or the reba next up again and what i would go for. again there are a few in the groupe so have a look on RS's home page. Brakes take your pic. BUT chose the fork first and then get the brakes to fit as there are 2 different mountings out there. see the sticky above.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Some good advice from nick, I'd say stick the reba's on, very nice forks, IIRC the scale is suitable for around 100mm of travel so don't go above that or the handling will be unpleasant. As for brakes, i love my new mono mini's as does everyone who tries them, you don't need to worry too much about the compatibility between forks and brakes, as most of the time you use an adaptor anyway.

Definitely do the forks first though, v's are fine for the summer, then do the brakes, assuming the wheels are disc ready of course.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • stuperman
    stuperman Posts: 4
    cheers guys

I've always had RS, but i like the look of marzocchi's.and ive read good reviews about them. i see wot your saying about going more than 100mm the frame headtube doesnt really have the right geometry for much more. the v-brakes really dont have the stopping power on any downhill runs as you really need to grip with at least two fingers and even flat out wont stop quick enough.

the hubs are disc ready, luckily.
    sdarney