Basics re switching to hydraulic

stowei
stowei Posts: 30
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
All our road/moutain/commuter bikes are either caliper, V or cable-disc and I do all our building and servicing myself. I've never tried hydraulics although I understand the principles because I service our motorbikes too.

Question: We fancy trying out a front hydraulic disc on one of the moutain bikes and since I will continue to want to do all the installation and servicing myself we wonder if there are any that people would steer us either towards or away from in terms of ease of set-up and servicing while I learn this extension of the craft?

The bike I intend to experiment with has a 160mm cable disc on the front currently with a 6-bolt rotor and a Rockshox Duke fork with a non-post type mount. While I'm at it I might as well increase the rotor-size if I can.

PS Since this is mainly an experiment at this stage I'll be looking for something used on eBay I hope.

PPS Absolute performance is not an issue - we've no descents of Everest planned.

So any thoughts on what would be easy to get hold of, good availability of installation and set-up info on the web, don't fall to pieces if you service them yourself, servicing kits easy to get hold of, not silly expensive?

Thanks

Ian
Ian

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    shimano deore you can get for around œ50, do you have disk hubs?

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by orangesrule</i>

shimano deore you can get for around œ50, do you have disk hubs?

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">read what he wrote.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hunter145
    hunter145 Posts: 79
    deore's are on wiggle at œ35 so they will be good, but if you don't have disk hubs then it will mean that you need a new hub.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hunter145</i>

deore's are on wiggle at œ35 so they will be good, but if you don't have disk hubs then it will mean that you need a new hub.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    FFS are you lot thick. READ <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The bike I intend to experiment with has a 160mm cable disc on the front currently with a 6-bolt rotor and a Rockshox Duke fork with a non-post type mount. While I'm at it I might as well increase the rotor-size if I can.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown