Bottom brackets and chain devices

grommet
grommet Posts: 636
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I need a new bottom bracket, the one i have is pritty badly gone now and im set on buying the same one again as its gone through about 16 months of abuse and has only been noticably loose for around a month.

Its a Truvativ Giga Pipe SL ISIS and my bb shell appears to measure 68mm. However, I also want to fit a chain device but do not have the mountings on my frame so I need to buy a bb mounted one. There are a few problems though; im not too sure on how to fit one and there doesnt seem to be any room for the chain device to mount on the bb.

Any advice on how to sort this would be great
Many Thanks

Comments

• ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    Buy a 73mm one. That leaves you with 2.5mm on each side. On the right you put the chain device or isgc mount adaptor for it, on the left a spacer or nothing(some truvativ bb's don't need a spacer, you just tighten it up and leave the gap)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11453

WD-40? GT-85?? I'd rather use the old AK-47!
  • grommet
    ok many thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a 68mm Emount one. it is for an E mount front mech or chaindevice.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • grommet
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nicklouse</i>

get a 68mm Emount one. it is for an E mount front mech or chaindevice.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    its for a chain device. but will the 73mm one work any way?

Thanks
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    if your frame has a 68mm shell, buy a 68mm bb.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • grommet
    yeah but will this work?
    ROCHA

Coimbra
    Portugal
    114 Posts
    Posted - 13/06/2007 : 23:00:16

Buy a 73mm one. That leaves you with 2.5mm on each side. On the right you put the chain device or isgc mount adaptor for it, on the left a spacer or nothing(some truvativ bb's don't need a spacer, you just tighten it up and leave the gap)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=11453
  • ROCHA
    That will work, but if there's an e-mount version of the bb you want you can get it and you're done.

• grommet
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ROCHA</i>

That will work, but if there's an e-mount version of the bb you want you can get it and you're done.

ok but if i do as you suggested will it work as well?

thanks
  • ROCHA
    Yes it will. The guy at my lbs allways fits 73mm into 68mm frames when installing chain guides 'cause it gets the job done just aswell and e-type ones are harder to find.

• grommet
    ok many thanks
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    *stays well clear of ROCHA's LBS*

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • grommet
    Are you sure this will work because at the age of 16 it takes absoultly ages to save up money if it messes up.

Thanks
  • ROCHA
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=4981

These can be used in either 68 or 73 bb frames. If you put them in a 68 frame you either use the spacer (supplied) or put the chain device hanger in its place. There's no reason why this can't be done in any 73mm bb. It's not like you need to be a rocket scientist to figure this out..

• grommet
    ok thanks for all the help!
  • ROCHA
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

*stays well clear of ROCHA's LBS*

Lots of people use the truvativ bb's the type that's on the crc link and have frames without ISCG tabs, so fitting a chain device the way I've said allows you to keep the same bb. This way you save money. It would be far more profitable to my lbs to sell a new bb for no reason or even a frame with ISCG, but budget leads to this practical solution. There's nothing wrong with my lbs... apart from prices, ocasionally[:)]

• skyliner
    skyliner Posts: 613
    The Truvativ BBs come in 68, 68E, 73 shell type fit, in 108, 110, 113, or 118mm axle widths. So if you buy a BB with the correct axle width for your chainset, you'd only have to choose between the aforementioned, or the 73E model.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.