adjusting tioga headset

IanG
IanG Posts: 3
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
afternoon all,

I've got myself a Claud Butler Cape Wrath, and done about 500 miles on it.

Lately the forks have had play in them, which I've narrowed down to the headset bearing.

Now, in the "old days" I'd get the spanners out and adjust the lock nut.

But the claud butler headset is threadless, with just an allen key on top and to the side.

Now reading here http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65 it seems all I have to do to tighten the bearing is tighten the central allen key on top. Easy.

So out comes the allen key, and I give it a nip up: no difference. Tighten it up a bit more: nothing. A bit more...to cut it short, I've tightened it as much as I think safe with an allen key, and it's not doing anything!

Can anyone offer some suggestions? Am I getting this wrong?

I could get out my 1/2" allen sockets and breaker bar, but fear this would just crack the frame.

thanks in advance

Ian

Comments

• mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Did you loosen the stem before tightening the top nut?

Also it needs to be real tight.

<i><font color="red">>>>> Torrent is acomin' >>>>></i></font id="red">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mmm_pie</i>
    Also it needs to be real tight.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No it doesn't. Say something like that again and I'll ban you. Tighten it too much and you'll crush the bearings.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    and/or rip the star nut out

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    You'd probably strip the thread in the bolt or the nut before you manage to rip the star nut out.
  • mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Err ok I'll say "fairly" tight next time...

<i><font color="red">>>>> Torrent is acomin' >>>>></i></font id="red">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    it only has to be 'pinched' up to preload the bearings.

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
  • joshleb
    joshleb Posts: 623
    You absolutely sure it was the headset which had play in it?

Sure your not mucking it up, when its the forks or something?

<b><center>Got My Vans On But They Look Like Sneakers</center></b>
  • IanG
    IanG Posts: 3
    cheers for the replies

so do I need to loosen the stem bolt (on the side) first then?

I'm pretty sure the play is in the headset and not the brakes - I've been lifting up the frame rather than using the front brake to test.

I don't think my judy forks have got play in them either, but will have another look.

cheers

Ian
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by IanG</i>

so do I need to loosen the stem bolt (on the side) first then?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> yes or tightening the top cap bolt will do nothing.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown