MPH brake on Giant XTC sticking

pauljdcooper
pauljdcooper Posts: 20
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Giant XTC, love the bike but the rear brake has started sticking, when i brake and release i can then push the lever 3mm further forward and the outerpad seems to stay against the disc. I have taken the wheel out, put cardboard between the pads then used a screwdriver to try to (gently) get it to move, no luck.
any ideas??

two wheels no rules
two wheels no rules

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    back the adjust off?

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • done that, that doesn't help either.
    anythings else?

two wheels no rules
    two wheels no rules
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I did read on a bike forum that Giant MPH3 calipers are known to spring the pad retaining spring. On the MPH3 calipers, the spring is part of the caliper rather than the pad, and once it's sprung it's a main-dealer repair.

Other than that (which isn't so good) you could try bleeding a little fluid from the system (mine gets very taught when the weather warms up!) by screwing the adjuster in a few turns with the caliper nipple open a little. This should give you a bit of adjustment. Then try re-shimming the caliper to be central again.

<h5><center><font color="black">My Album</font id="black"></h5></center>
  • Snapper
    Snapper Posts: 112
    There a really sturdy unit but most common things with MPH are due to them being over tighten on the adjuster. This can lock up the internal adjuster. It explains how they must be set in the instructions.

The other is water and dirt getting in the leaver. Simply drench the thing with GT85 even behind the rubber piston skirt.
  • will try these last two ideas now, cheers guys!

two wheels no rules
    two wheels no rules