Aston Hill

Comments

• Will be working.. sorry...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Whyamihere</i>

<center>You'reonefreakyfu<u></u>ckingbas<u></u>tardPhil.</center><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <center><b>Forum Scariest Person 2007</b></center>
    quote "Whyamihere"
    You're one freaky fucking bastard Phil.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Is Aston Hill suitable for a relatively inexperienced XC biker with a Rockhopper Disc? I was hoping to head over there this afternoon to pay my œ5 and maybe have a couple of laps on the XC course. Am I going to give myself a hardtime achieving it or will it be a good warm-up to riding some of the 7 stanes in a months time?
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Steelo, I Rode Aston Hill about a month ago and I'd say you'll probably be fine if it's not too muddy and if you don't brake too hard on the chalky bits (you'll see...). As far as I could follow the signs on the route though I'd say that the XC course is just a way of linking all the DH routes together with some uphill singletrack. Personally I don't think it's worth five quid, but then I get the 7 Stanes for free. If you've never really done this kind of thing though you should go before you tackle the 7 Stanes, if only to see how poorly Hertfordshire compares with the Borders.
  • steelo
    Cheers for the advice, I have done some single track riding through woods, not too much downhill, or uphill climbs come to think of it. I will probably be sticking to the blue routes on the 7 stanes although i've been advised not to ride anything below red as the green and blue are more family-type routes! The Kona dark side looks awesome in the pictures but its probably a lot more technical and dangerous than it appears!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • davydesign
    davydesign Posts: 178
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steelo</i>

Cheers for the advice, I have done some single track riding through woods, not too much downhill, or uphill climbs come to think of it. I will probably be sticking to the blue routes on the 7 stanes although i've been advised not to ride anything below red as the green and blue are more family-type routes! The Kona dark side looks awesome in the pictures but its probably a lot more technical and dangerous than it appears!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would advise against going to aston hill if you arent that experienced riding off road. The main descent on the XC circuit is quite technical - equivalent to a red run. you may be better off riding the trails in the nearby Wendover Woods.

Have fun in Scotland, I'm jealous! [:p]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font face="Trebuchet MS">Handsome Ransom | Chillin' in the Chilterns
    Just ride til something breaks. Then replace it!</font id="Trebuchet MS"></center>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steelo</i>

I will probably be sticking to the blue routes on the 7 stanes although i've been advised not to ride anything below red as the green and blue are more family-type routes!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, Red and Black routes all the way I'd say, except it's a bit easier to follow the Blue route as far as you can on the climb up Glentress. Apart from that the Blue routes are very boring, and you'll pick up the skills on the Red routes in no time. Just remember that a massive jump is only a massive jump if you're going fast enough. Otherwise it's a little hill aint it?
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    I've been riding forever!! But, only MTB'ing since August.
    Aston Hill was the first *proper* place I rode at, and I loved it.
    I had no idea what I was letting myself in for, but, my riding buddy just told me, "Don't worry. You're more than capable." - if he said it was ok, I knew I was.
    I'd already studied MTB books/vids before I went, so knew all about how to handle the exposed roots/etc.

I'm now more used to the trails of S.Wales, so the (relatively) short circuit at AH would seem ultra short to me. But, I'd say go for it. You have to cut your teeth (not literally) somewhere.

Steelo: I'm in N.Watford (near Asda), and transport-less. If you want someone to ride with, give me a shout. I'll gladly go round with you (time/schedule permitting).
    But, you really want to avoid that place in the wet.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • steelo
    Just been out riding round wendover and coombe hill, the other side of the road to aston hill. Coombe hill has an excellent run down a chalk track, and the exposed roots in wendover really got my arse going when the front end slipped out on many occasions! I considered dropping in on aston hill on my way home but my legs had given up. The only thing I struggle with now is the climbs, just need stronger legs - or lighter body, i'm getting there slowly!
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09