Replacing brake levers on mechanical discs.

Norco_Will93
Norco_Will93 Posts: 48
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
My ooooooh! tektro v-brake levers are ugly and i was wondering can i use other companys mechanical disc brake levers???
I would like some strong but not huge levers

The hardtail does it all
http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, any V brake levers will work.
    Take a look on CRC and then see what you can afford and like.

ForBloodAnd Empire
    Nothing says "ouch" like a punctured gut
    Co factory rider for DUST TILL DAWN

Myspace
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    These look nice if you can afford them [:D]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • for that dangerboy i could get a cheap disc

The hardtail does it all

• rubber side up
    But for certain applications, v brakes are better than discs. for instance i've spent more on replacement rotors this year so far than a pair of those levers would set me back. rotors are incredibly exposed. doesn't take much to bend one.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • willipa
    willipa Posts: 130
    ^^Rims are also incredibly exposed, doesnt take much to bend, split or dent one.
  • what aspects of mountain biking are v's best for??

The hardtail does it all

• digdug
    digdug Posts: 90
    There cheaper to replace when they break than hydros.
    They are lighter if you are a weight shedding freak.
    As long as its dry they can be just as effective as low end hydro's, and especially mechanicals.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skamanfrank</i>

I remember when I discovered my first pube.
    I got all embarrassed and cut it off
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    </center>
    Add me
    And again
  • rubber side up
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willipa</i>

^^Rims are also incredibly exposed, doesnt take much to bend, split or dent one.

but if you bend/split or dent a rim your f*cked whether you have disc or rim brakes. also rims are designed to take abuse. discs aren't

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

what aspects of mountain biking are v's best for??

The hardtail does it all

They are easy to maintain, easy to setup, don't completely screw up if you bash the rim, aren't as affected by lubricants, lighter and theres a wider range of pad compounds for different uses.

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

Accelerating, because of the lower rotating weight.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>
  • rubber side up
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Drfabulous0</i>

Accelerating, because of the lower rotating weight.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>

The affect on rotational mass that discs have will be so tiny its not worth mentioning, as all the weight is at the hub. and rotors weigh next to nothing anyway [:)]

• okay thanks

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• willipa
    willipa Posts: 130
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by willipa</i>

but if you bend/split or dent a rim your f*cked whether you have disc or rim brakes. also rims are designed to take abuse. discs aren't

But with a bent rim and disk brakes you can still ride home with a brake working, if you damage your rim v brakes wont work.
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    it's woth noting that with less dishing on the wheels they may be stronger (for jumps etc)

<center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>