Custom Brakes

Norco_Will93
Norco_Will93 Posts: 48
edited June 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
This probaly sounds really newbie but with disc brakes if i got a shimano set with 185 mm rotor could i then get a 203 mm Avid rotor and use witht the shimano set??

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
http://www.southwestbiking.tk/

Norco 125 Custom Build + 90's Peugeot Road Bike

Comments

• joshleb
    joshleb Posts: 623
    Is that to go onto your GT?
    I think you maybe only allowed to put 160mm rotors on it, otherwise you risk bending frame and forks

<b><center>Got My Vans On But They Look Like Sneakers</center></b>
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Changing rotors, you need same thickness, same sweep (ie braking radial depth). You will also need an adaptor to increase the spacing so you can get the rotor in. Also make sure your forks are warrantied for 203mm rotors.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • i might to go on the gt and i was just wondering

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• is it better to buy a brake set all ready or build mine own?

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• Stinkyboy
    Stinkyboy Posts: 1,135
    you can but a 20+mm adaptor, and a 205mm disk no problems, but it'll save money/time and make you brakes look neater if you just get the 205mm's to begin with

HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
    HUDDERSFIELD DH SCENE
  • mongooseTE17
    mongooseTE17 Posts: 328
    Your forks will not take 205mm discs! Use 160mm front and rear.

My Elite!
  • mmm_pie
    mmm_pie Posts: 1,934
    Does your GT even have disc hubs?

Doesn't look like it does from your pinkbike pics.

not working :(
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    LOGO2.jpg
  • oh thats bum how much are disc hubs??

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• my frame has the mounts though, right?

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• lachoman
    lachoman Posts: 371
    Your frame and fork do have mounts. Disc hubs start relatively cheaply with shimano deore, but you will need your wheels rebuilt onto them, and probably new spokes if the hub isn't identical to your old one. Check CRC for hubs. As for brakes stick to 160mm front and rear for xc use, possibly 185 front if you insist, but make sure your forks are warranted for this.

<hr noshade size="1">You bend it, you mend it.
    <hr noshade size="1">You bend it, you mend it.
  • do crc do wheel builds??

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• mmm_pie
    Yes but merlin are slightly better www.merlincycles.co.uk

Both are very good though.

not working :(
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by haleybunny</i>

Sometimes it overheats. You have to make sure it's in a ventilated place all the time.
    LOGO2.jpg
  • thanks

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you get disks 185 on the front and 160 on the back is all you'll need

<div align="right">my msisle</div id="right"><div align="left">my msn: orange_boy125@hotmail.co.uk</div id="left">
  • JammyH
    JammyH Posts: 929
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

This probaly sounds really newbie but with disc brakes if i got a shimano set with 185 mm rotor could i then get a 203 mm Avid rotor and use witht the shimano set??

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
    Theres really no point in getting 203mm rotors for your HT. A mate of mine uses 185mm rotors on his DH/FR machine. You'll be fine.

As soon as you get those disk hubs anyway...

<font color="pink">James x</font id="pink">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DJIP</i>

Your bike reminds me of a Praying Mantis.
    I brake for Scholars, Priests and no apparent reason.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DJIP</i>

• mmm_pie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JammyH</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gtriderwil07</i>

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo
    Theres really no point in getting 203mm rotors for your HT. A mate of mine uses 185mm rotors on his DH/FR machine. You'll be fine.

As soon as you get those disk hubs anyway...

I'd disagree, I think an 8" is good for the front on a hardtail if it'd being used for DH or FR with long travel forks.

Obviously 8" is stupid for XC use though.

LOGO2.jpg
  • TSawyer
    TSawyer Posts: 721
    I have a 203mm on the front of my hardtail.

I want to have 160mm, 203 gets in the way

<center><font color="pink">I Love Horses</font id="pink"></center>
  • i do everything on my bike so might go for 185mm

The hardtail does it all

my site

the gt

fox bikes bebo