Head Angles...

pimp_my_cheese
pimp_my_cheese Posts: 149
edited June 2007 in MTB general
General question...

Do you guys reckon that the Head Angle on this is too shallow? I run my forks pretty soft anyway, but I'm concerned that it might be putting a bit much stress on the headtube if I'm running this angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• roryf
    roryf Posts: 1,335
    Winding the forks down will reduce the head angle.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    What is the frame supposed to run at? looks like they are at 130/140mm.

Assuming the frame is designed for 100mm, i'd say 120mm _absolute_ maximum.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    looks fine to me. no need to be analy retentive about hese things.
    as long as it handles the way you want, who cares!?

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    and you are in warranty still.

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • Pkomor
    Pkomor Posts: 380
    its good up to 130 under warenty, and i used to run my pikes at 140 but they sag alot so they sat at about 125, ind it handled well.

[url=<center><h5><font color="red"><b><u>Blender . </u></b></font id="red"></h5></center>
  • Norco_Hucker
    Norco_Hucker Posts: 170
    Looks alright to me?!?!

GREEN MACHINE http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1225611/
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yeehaamcgee</i>

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    1999 marin wolfridge, Marzocchi Jr Ts, Saint cranks, D321 rims, Hope C2s, raceface bits and bobs, XT running gear. All vintage stuff! (apart from the saints)
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

all very well saying "it looks fine" but the manufacturers aren't going to take that if the head tube peels off.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • Looks a little steep to me. Keep it under 130mm just to be safe.

<center>
    <font face="Arial">Zoo Pitbull</font id="Arial">

<font face="Arial">Turner DHR</font id="Arial"></center>
    <center>
    <font>Zoo Pitbull</font>

<font>Turner DHR</font></center>
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pimp_my_cheese</i>

General question...

Do you guys reckon that the Head Angle on this is too shallow? I run my forks pretty soft anyway, but I'm concerned that it might be putting a bit much stress on the headtube if I'm running this angle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Depends if you want to go up hills or down them.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rubber side up</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by yeehaamcgee</i>

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    <hr noshade size="1">

all very well saying "it looks fine" but the manufacturers aren't going to take that if the head tube peels off.

I can't see that kind of headtube angle contributing much, if any, to the stress on the frame's headtube.
    If you hard a triple clamp fork, then I could see how there could be a bigger risk of ripping your headtube off.

But as it is, it looks fine. It's not exactly super-relaxed is it?

<hr noshade size="1">
    My trusty steed
    <hr noshade size="1">
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    Looks fine for trail riding and downhill. If you're into DJ, you should have less travel and more preload.
  • mbukfan
    mbukfan Posts: 3,052
    It's a bit slacker then I'd want but I think mine is a higher angle then most, I'm still on 80mm forks though.
    longer travel forks can put more stress on teh headtube partly by acting as a longer lever for the forces coming from the wheel.

<center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>
    <center>
    <font size="1"><font color="green">Only the truth hurts, but thats more than enough.</font id="green"> </font id="size1">
    <font size="2"> Andy</font id="size2">
    </center>