Rear Cassette Problem

edited May 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

hopefully this makes sense. I've got a problem with the smallest cog on my rear cassette. When peddling with a certain amount of pressure it clicks and feels as if the chain has jumped.

It's not constant it happens every five seconds or so when pedling. Is the cassette knackered or does it need to be tightened?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    How old is it? Probably too much wear on the cog or chain, if not both... If the same thing happens in any of the other sprockets it's time for a new chain, cassette and maybe chainrings.
  • Who me
    Who me Posts: 493
    Or just the upper limit needs adjusting on the gears.
  • haroexone
    haroexone Posts: 165
    or sometimes a stiff link will be fine on large cogs,but skip on small
    kester
    it's only a year old and i only use it once or twice a week. The chain's new and only been on for a couple of months.

It doesn't happen on the other cogs just the smallest one. I don't think it's the limit that needs adjusting as the chain doesn't come off.
  • Who me
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by post</i>

it's only a year old and i only use it once or twice a week. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Still needs maintenance
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Who me</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by post</i>

it's only a year old and i only use it once or twice a week. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Still needs maintenance
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Which is exactly why i'm on here asking for advice on the problem!
  • It is probably an oil problem dude.

try some wd-40 bro. that generally gets things lubrcated and running smooththly again.

anyway i'd better be off homeie.

Moscow!

when you have had a day of it just ride!
  • The Joe Show
    The Joe Show Posts: 9,413
    Check the chain for stiff links as these can cause jumping.

Also get behind the bike and look at the rear mech. Do the jockey wheels line up with the cog? If no, the rear mech needs adjusting.

Thirdly, compare the teeth on the smallest cogs to the others on the cassette. Do they appear more worn?

Lastly, when was the last time you degreased and lubricated the chain?

<hr noshade size="1"><b><center><font size="1"><font color="black">Twenty</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Carrera</font id="black">
    <font color="black">Nissan</font id="black">
    </font id="size1"></b> <font size="1">
    Myspazzzzz
    </font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="brown"><b>WDI</b></font id="brown"></font id="size1"></center><hr noshade size="1">
    Less gears, more beers.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EVIL KANEVIL RUSSIA</i>

POST YOU A HOMO TOO???????

NO, i think they should bring back electric shock treatment to cure homosexuals.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    *ignore him and he'll go away*

Check the cassette for hooked or damaged teeth. Then check the jockey wheels on the mech for damage. also, get a chain wear indicator and check the chain isnt knackered.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • My cousin is Roman of Chelsea...

DONT DARE IGNORE ME POST...YOU FRUDDY WOMBAT!!

• joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    ^^^
    any mods here?
    anyone thinks he should go?
    back to the matter at hand, sounds like a stiff link to me uncannily similar to whathappened to me.
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,047
    *WAVES*

<b><font size="1"><center><font color="red">When God created mountains he meant them for climbing, not to be used as glorified toboggan runs.</font id="red"></center>
    <center> <font color="blue">Riding for <i>Team Cake </i>in 2007</font id="blue"></center></font id="size1"></b>
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Come on guys. lets not give the lovely people at wmtb and c+ some evidence to backup statements [;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • Who me
    If it was a stiff link would it not also be a problem in other gears to although to a lesser degree maybe?
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I think your cassette is worn and wants replacing, do you use the smallest cog the most? If you do replace it and you say the chain is fairly new you should get away with flipping over the chain instead of replacing it with the cassette.

<center><font color="red"><b>My Scott</b></font id="red"></center>
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EVIL KANEVIL RUSSIA</i>

My cousin is Roman of Chelsea...

DONT DARE IGNORE ME POST...YOU FRUDDY WOMBAT!!

i wonder do i drop a line to a certain asset management company.

Mr Post please inform any of your work "friends" If a repeat of the above happens Your bosses might get to hear about it.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown