import duty

hamboman
hamboman Posts: 512
edited May 2007 in MTB general
A friend of mine is heading to the US in a couple of months for work and while he's there he wants to buy a new frame - a santa cruz chama. it's much cheaper there cos of the exchange rate.

problem is, he doesn't want to pay import duty. How likely is it he'll be busted if he just shoves it in his bag and doesn't declare it? Anyone done this?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lets put it this way. if he can afford to pay the taxesm then he may as well not even bother buying it.

If he does get stopped and cant afford that import then the frame stays with customs.

dont forget that what is in his bag is no secrect as the X-ray sees all.

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    My Pictures.
    Pinkbike Album.
    <center><font size="1">
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

<font color="brown"> Sheldon Brown</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">Park Tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">Spoke Calculator</font id="black">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    [?] Mail me!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JinjaNinja
    JinjaNinja Posts: 1,033
    Isn't there a time limit on how long you've owned the item for. If he's going for a few months he might get lucky and fall inside the limit.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NeillyB</i>
    I used some blueberry flavoured one we got from the free clinic once
    NEVER AGAIN
    My penis was blue for 3 days
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></font id="green"></font id="size1">
    <font color="brown"><center>Join us HERE!</center></font id="brown">
    logo.jpg
  • hamboman
    good point, i'll tell him. he can afford it he just doesn't want to cough up more of the hard earned to Gordon!

Personally I dont think it's worth the risk.
  • Silver Bullet
    Silver Bullet Posts: 1,064
    how much is he going to have to pay on duty for it?

'06 Scott Voltage YZ2

<center>Myspazz</center>
  • Kimbo
    Kimbo Posts: 8
    I have a friend who purchased an Intense from the US when he was there on business. After he purchased the bike he rode it a couple of times so it was no longer new (i.e. used) and this apparently was sufficient for him to avoid import duty when he returned to the UK a couple of weeks later. Not sure what actually would have happened if he got stopped but he didn't, so he saved a bundle.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Also, has he thought of taking an old bike out and a new one back?

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • JinjaNinja
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ride_whenever</i>

Also, has he thought of taking an old bike out and a new one back?

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Its not like they check what you take with you 2 months ago, Its the fact you've got a bike frame and nothing else bike related in your bag.

"umm, its my lucky traveling frame" dosen't always cut it!

Of he took an old one out, bought the frame and built it up, then he may get away with it.

However theres a good chance they won't stop him at all if it hasn't got the price tag on it.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1"><font color="green"><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NeillyB</i>
    NEVER AGAIN
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></font id="green"></font id="size1">
    logo.jpg
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    Take a cheap argos special out there, throw the frame away, and then bring the new frame back, with some parts attached, but some not. if they ask, tell them you dismantled it to get it in the bag [;)]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
  • hamboman
    ruddy good idea, my flatmate has a rusted up old appollo. Not sure if the new frame's gonna fit the forks though!!!

seems like a bit of a kerfuffle too, just to escape 40 quid tax!!
  • JinjaNinja
    If its only œ40 then just hope they don't stop and ask you. Even if they do surely the saving on the frame would be more then œ40 IE- still cost effective.

NEVER AGAIN
    logo.jpg
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I lived in the US for years and always travel back to see family.

Everytime i return from there I end up buying an extra case to bring stuff back in. I have brought back 2 x Technics 1210's turntables before (one in each case), laptops, digital cameras, tons of clothes, snowboards etc.. without problems.

As long as you don't leave any price tags on the items, post instruction manuals back to your UK address whilst in the U.S so you dont have to carry them with you then it can't be proven that you didn't take it out with you.

Sure they scan your bags when you enter the airplane, and chances are if you also have something metal in bags you checked in they will get searched by baggage officers before going on the plane without you knowing (you'll just get a slip put in your luggage) but this is not linked to customs and excise.

I considered buying a Santa Cruz frame from the U.S and bringing it back and I would probably will do when i travel there at the end of this month. I just wont include anything in my baggage that shows I've bought it there, put some grease on it so it looks a bit used and dirty, if i get stopped in customs ill say i took it out with me and was riding it over there.

There's no point bringing out a crappy frame with you in the first place because you cant prove that anyway.
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • I baught some new forks whilst out riding in France. I had no problems, and TBH, i didn't even think about it when i was flying back.

<center>
    <font face="Arial">Zoo Pitbull</font id="Arial">

<font face="Arial">Turner DHR</font id="Arial"></center>
    <center>
    <font>Zoo Pitbull</font>

<font>Turner DHR</font></center>
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    OR, take a crap bike out there, ditch it properly, and then buy a new TOTR bike out there, you went out with a bike, you come back with a bike.

and no import fees paid [:D]

<b><font color="red"> MON BICI!!
    myspaz</b></font id="red">