Les Gets/ Morzine- know any trails?

MentalRaver
MentalRaver Posts: 221
edited May 2010 in MTB general
'Sup,

Me and my brothers from a differant mother are going for some riding out in Les Gets and Morzine way.

Has anyone been there or know of any good ride sites?

Cheers....[:)]
Too enthusiastic about biking for my friends...want to ride somewhere in the SE? TELL ME!!! hamsterscanswim@hotmail.com - and yes they can!

Comments

• paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    yes mate, been the last two summers and going again 30th June. When you going? You can get a free map from the information booths and also when you get off the lift there are trails to follow. You can also ask anyone cause theres lots of brits there. Well worth hiring a guide for a day, we did the second year and he showed us some trails we would not have found.If you are there the week we are going be glad to show you a few places.
  • MentalRaver
    I'm going to be there this Saturday.

Wish I did some research before booking it. The uplifts start the day we get back.

BUT- don't you need to reccy out the trail anyway...makes things easier to cope with when I think of it like that [;)][:D]
    Too enthusiastic about biking for my friends...want to ride somewhere in the SE? TELL ME!!! hamsterscanswim@hotmail.com - and yes they can!
  • -C-
    -C- Posts: 1,168
    The Bikefax guide only has the official trails in it, and not all of them either.

Its a good starting point though :)

Meep Meep!

[:0]
  • MentalRaver
    What are the chances of getting someone with a pick up/ a taxi to run our bikes up?
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    Run your bikes from where to where?

Got the Bikefax guide through a couple of days ago, it is good but like -C- said, doesn't show all of the trails, I did expect a little more than what it has, still recommend you get one though, it'll definitely be useful!

It's pretty easy to fnd your way around over there and there's always loads of people about to speak to and ask advice. There's also lots of people who work as guides for the area, I know we found ours off of Southern Downhill last year and then met some others whilst out there who showed us a bit further afield.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Capitano</i>

Oh, and TBH, SJ is a much better stalker than you.....
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><u><font color="blue"><div align="right">10http://www.mbuk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182209% Pure Filth!</div id="right"></font id="blue"></u>
    <font color="pink"><font size="1">Most Funny - 7th Sexiest Member - 2nd Most Like to Meet - 5th Most likely to be rohypnoled by another forumite - 4th Nicest bike - 4th</font id="size1"></font id="pink">
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • MentalRaver
    run from les gets/ morzine to top of slope.

got the bikefax book. handy pointers, but most say about using the uplifts.

me and my mates agreed that if we do have to walk up the trails and we something good, we're going to session it out.
  • SJ
    Not that I know of, only the uplifts...

Walk up the trails? I'm not even sure you can do that! Maybe some of the smaller ones but it'd be a very very long walk!!!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Capitano</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><u><font color="blue"><div align="right">10http://www.mbuk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182209% Pure Filth!</div id="right"></font id="blue"></u>
    <font color="pink"><font size="1">Most Funny - 7th Sexiest Member - 2nd Most Like to Meet - 5th Most likely to be rohypnoled by another forumite - 4th Nicest bike - 4th</font id="size1"></font id="pink">
  • -C-
    Its a long ass walk up some of those hills! [:0]

Meep Meep!

• P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MentalRaver</i>

run from les gets/ morzine to top of slope.

got the bikefax book. handy pointers, but most say about using the uplifts.

me and my mates agreed that if we do have to walk up the trails and we something good, we're going to session it out.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Get a lift pass cheepo, they're like œ30-œ40 per week tops

PJ
  • MentalRaver
    I know it's gonna be a long, long walk up some of those hills. Gonna look for firetracks etc. to get up there. That's why we're gonna session something good out, i.e nice berms, tech drop, etc.

Can't get a lift pass- no lifts till the day I leave....read the thread.
  • SJ
    I did see a few smaller tracks and roads from the chairlifts, not sure how accessible they are though or if they're even public access.

You really will be very limited as to where you'll be able to go, so many of the good trails are further afield and not within walking distance.

I'm guessing there's no chance of you re-booking the holiday for when the lifts are open then?

• tom_majski
    tom_majski Posts: 432
    whats the super morzine singletrack like? i've heard awesome things about it

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Clearly they all were raped by hordes of capitalist, communist, black Jewish liberals with excellent dance moves and gigantic penises.

myspack
  • -C-
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tom_majski</i>

whats the super morzine singletrack like? i've heard awesome things about it<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Which bit are you talking about?

At the top of the second lift up the Super Morzine side rather than trecking over to Avoriaz, you can hack across the fields, down the fire roads & through the woods all the way back to the top of the first lift on that side, which is quite good fun. There are loads of unofficial tracks through the woods on that section.

The actual Super Morzine DH track is just off to the left of the exit from the Super Morzine lift. Its pretty hardcore, probably as hard as Tennis Court, but a bit more rideable. Definately one of the good ones [:)]

Damn all this talk of proper DH. Its 8 weeks this Sunday until we go & I can't wait [:(]

Meep Meep!

• -C-
    Don't, my shoulder is still giving me sh*t, 6 months on...

Although there are no loose, scary berms on Super Morzine. Lots of other things to crash into though [:)]

Meep Meep!

• LiQuOrIcE
    LiQuOrIcE Posts: 108
    I am heading out there on June 23rd.

I have been looking for some maps and found this pdf file.

http://www.bikepark-lesgets.com/IMG/pdf ... D_2_-3.pdf

Any good?

• paulf2007
    paulf2007 Posts: 341
    get real, you wont be pushing or riding up many trails out there. Some of the lifts are open so its not all bad<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MentalRaver</i>

I'm going to be there this Saturday.

Wish I did some research before booking it. The uplifts start the day we get back.

BUT- don't you need to reccy out the trail anyway...makes things easier to cope with when I think of it like that [;)][:D]
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I'm off to Morzine 12 weeks tommorrow!

PJ
  • MentalRaver
    I've done my research my friends, and the uplifts DO NOT start until 4th June. Still life is one big lesson.

I'm going tomorrow and have a total of 20 hours of combined ferry and driving ahead!

Worst come to worst, I imagine that the break will be on big drinking holiday and street event!
  • digdug
    digdug Posts: 90
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paulf2007</i>

When you going?

Theres a sticky in the sandbox with peoples dates for going to Morzine [:)]

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skamanfrank</i>

I remember when I discovered my first pube.
    I got all embarrassed and cut it off
    </center>
    Add me
    And again
  • MentalRaver
    ***UPDATE AFTER RETURNING FROM LES GETS***

Well, firstly, let me tell you that you CAN walk up the mountains to go downhilling. Takes time, but fire roads are your friend.

Naff all was really open and no uplifts at all.

If you want to commute from Chatel to Les Gets, you better like driving- took me at least 1hr when I visited it.

The drive out from SE Essex, inc. ferry, took around 22 hours.

Norfolk Line to Dunkerque was half the price of Calais by P&O, etc and takes 15mins longer to drive from (which is nowt for 22 hours).

Toll roads are the way forwards and well worth the extra.

Down a WHOLE BIG can of Dark Dog in one and you will buzz like crazy and sketch out a lil too. Ignore the stomach murmur- it's like speed.

Don't enjoy the pizza too much. You will gain weight, esp. if drinking lots of alcohol.

A rear mech hanger cost me 16 euro's.

Evasion sports (near to the main square and the Flamer(?) pizza place is very, very helpful.

Go faster than you think you can. Video analysis is great for this too.

And finally, have good fun.
  • -C-
    22 hours to drive? [:0] did you do 40mph all the way?

2 hours to Dover, 30 minutes train, 9 hours (conservative, with an average of 60mph) from Calais to Morzine...

Should have been about 10 hours less! [:D]

Meep Meep!

[:0] [?]
  • kenchenko
    kenchenko Posts: 1
    i'm heading out to Manigod nr Annecy in September, wondering if i've gotta over to Morzine or somewhere else, or where can i find info on the singletrack just in and around the area?
    any clues? cheers guys.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SuperMorzine is great. It's like someone took a Coed y Brenin trail, and threw it down the side of a mountain. Then said "meh, sure it's still rideable"

When I was there though, there were several massive uprooted trees blocking the trail occasionally. Easier to squeeze underneath them than climb over.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was only created on the 19th of May you twonk (in 2007 :shock: :lol: )