Sub œ1000 all round XC hard tail

ValeTudoGuy
ValeTudoGuy Posts: 87
edited July 2007 in XC and Enduro
I'm looking for a quality built, all round hard tail for general XC use. I don't do anything too hardcore, no big jumps or serious downhill.

The bike will be used mostly for long rides on single-track. Id like it to be good going up as well as down and although I've got no intention of racing I do like to ride quite fast so some racing pedigree would be appreciated.

I'm 5'8", 170lb and consider myself a rider of average ability. My new job gives me considerably more freedom and so I'm looking to start taking riding more seriously and take a step up in my ability.

The bikes I've got in mind at the moment are:

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc - œ750,
Orange Evo8 - œ900
&
Marin Nail Trail - œ850

I'm quite interested in the Orange as they are a UK company and my local bike shop is an Orange main dealer but I don't want to pay over the odds just for that reason.

Can anyone shed some light on making the right choice or is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    You could consider this. I am proably more biased towards one as i have the same frame and love it but this might be worth a look at.

<center><h4><font color="red">Kinesis Maxlight XC</font id="red"></h4></center>
  • xc-andy
    xc-andy Posts: 174
    If i had the money and didnt already have an XT spec, I would be tempted by this
  • xc-andy
    xc-andy Posts: 174
    although the maxlight above is VERY sexy [:D]
  • ValeTudoGuy
    Thanks for the tip I'll go and check one out. I don't know anything about Kinesis but I just checked their dealer list and there's a stockist down the road from where I work, so I'll go and have a look at one of their frames tomorrow.

The bike on the link you gave sure has got a nice spec list.

Its pushing my budget, but if it's worth it that's not an issue. Would you say it's worth the extra œœœ over the bikes I've listed?
  • euan_333
    euan_333 Posts: 667
    I'd advise against the BeOne: the fork manufacturer, Manitou, have gone out of buisness. Also the Kinesis has a great spec for the money, and IMO is worth the extra money. Disc's are a plus too.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">Euan Crawford</font id="red"><b><h6>ª_ª</h6></b>
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">Euan Crawford</font id="red"><b><h6>But this one goes up to eleven...</h6></b>
  • ValeTudoGuy
    How does the Kinesis frame compare to the Orange Frame? As in weight and build quality.
  • ahsatb
    ahsatb Posts: 61
    http://www.mbuk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=188530

Def only a XC thing, but looks a right bargin. I'm going to head over and have a look at one next week. Look in the General above link for more info so I don't get told off for cross posting.

<font>Riding a Specialized Rockhopper Pro</font>
  • munchkin2
    munchkin2 Posts: 238
    that is the bst bikeive seen for sub œ1000

meep, 'Quote' George Morton " wahoo, I'm popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695
    meep, \'Quote\' George Morton " wahoo, I\'m popular again"

My XTC: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154695
  • manitou arent out of business, thyer just out of distributor in thsi countery, meaning if you want to get spares then you have to go through TF or someone like that. The shop will provide the warenty so thats not an issue.

naff all to do but sit arroud and tru my wheels untill next time.
    naff all to do but sit arroud and tru my wheels untill next time.
  • keeko
    keeko Posts: 129
    A P7 S with an optional Fox upgrade. œ950.

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... gory_id=62

Guess the frame in my picture!!!
    ...the system......you can`t beat it.
  • ahsatb
    Yes, but 140mm forks for XC?! Whats the thoughts on this?

• ahsatb
    So, went and looked at the Revolution yesterday - it was alright, but felt you were paying alot of money for Juicy 7's and then they had cut on the forks. Also it depends whether you prefer SRAM or Shimano. Anyway - I decided to leave it, and bought myself a Rockhopper Pro :):):) Happy happy days. If your still looking for an alround sub œ1000 package, I think this is some of the best value for money and is ridable for ages, straight out of the box.

• SamuelJones
    SamuelJones Posts: 23
    I also got a 'Hopper Pro disc when I was looking for bikes in this price range.

Really nice bike.
  • mattbrown
    mattbrown Posts: 16
    Look at a Cannondale, "made in america", not like alot of other brands here, i got a 06 f600 for œ900, a few weeks back
  • nosediver
    nosediver Posts: 27
    I'm currently riding a Trek (last 12 months) and if you ask me they are a great bike for the money, no probs yet and has seen me through many long and enjoyable rides

Never lose faith in the colour of the sky
    Never lose faith in the colour of the sky
  • jib74
    jib74 Posts: 12
    can i suggest a focus raven from wiggle,it is at the very top end of your budget but the spec is top notch i have one myself.it has fox f100rlc's up front juicy fives lx & xt running gear and mavic crossrides,it is a bit light but it is quick and stops on a sixpence but as always its down to personel choice
  • crianza34
    crianza34 Posts: 86
    my dad recently bought a 07 spesh rockhopper pro disk, it's feels great and has a goodish spec.
    and you could have a look on merlin cycles and build up a malt or a rockhopper to your needs.
    i'm currently riding a rockhopper and it's fantastic, for œ1000 you could get a great ride
    j [;)]
  • tom_j
    tom_j Posts: 66
    i have recently bought a marin eldridge grade 2006. some good deals on the ones that are left from last year:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... b58s2p1107
  • wet wookie
    wet wookie Posts: 13
    Decathlon Rockrider 8.2 £699 xt set up with reba fork. Mine is fantastic....three years old been all round the country as well as ridden to work everyday. Faultless and great value for money!