Need new forks! - œ250ish

Blank2k2
Blank2k2 Posts: 17
edited May 2007 in XC and Enduro
hi ppl, not been on here in a long time, probably since my last bike was stolen a few years ago, not really looked at any bike parts or bikes in a few years since i bought my stumpjumper fsr so im abit out of the loop on whats good & whats not.

anyways, my last bike had marzocchi mx coil (if memory serves) and these forks i found brilliant... perfect for what i was doing.

but some scumbags stole the bike ([:(]) and i bought a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 120 (2005 version) a few years ago, nice bike i like it, but the forks ive always hated, there just too soft & if i do something stupid they wont forgive it & decide they'll just faceplant me insted[xx(]. (Manitou Blacks or sommit)

anyway ive been wanting new forks for ages now but im too skint/cheap to buy them, but ive got a few quid in the bank now so i think i could afford to bite the bulliet & buy some.

i mostly do XC & alittle bit of everything, i usually ride around aston court (bristol) / leigh woods

so any suggestions at what forks i should look at for roughly œ200-250 that would suit the bike? (130mm travel on current forks)

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    œ250 Rockshox Revelation U-turn, sorted!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • Blank2k2
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works</font id="red"></font id="size1">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... 5360027256

that'll be those i guess, looks good to me, even has lockout? didnt think id get that for œ250... finally ill be able to look foward to the climbs!

thanks [:D]
  • cyclone
    cyclone Posts: 181
    If you want lighter forks then these are good value.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/ProductDe ... egoryID/85

<hr noshade size="1">
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure!?
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red"><b>My Spesh</font id="red"></b>
    I used to be undecided but now I\'m not so sure!?

My Spesh
    BMBC
  • Blank2k2
    Reviving a dead post... :)

cant say the moneys getting any better, but i think i can afford the coil & air in the next week or so.

unfortunately since ive started saving ive looked around at rockshox & decided to sell my car (sarcasm)

Problem i noticed with the coils, only way to adjust is spring replacement.... well my Monitou Blacks i sent to Garlands to replace with a harder spring about 3 weeks after i got the bike, they charged me œ15 for it. and there still crap.

so id rather not risk œ250 on a fork i "might" not like & be unable to adjust.

So i looked at those lighter air forks cyclone mentioned, seems good, looks like it has adjustment & lockout.
    then noticed it doesnt have U-Turn, tho i have no clue what U-Turn actually does..... anyone able to fill me in?

anyways, i then looked at Air U-Turn forks, now were talking œ350+ for this U-Turn, OUCH!?
    then thought if im spending œ350, i might aswell spend an extra œ20-30 & get poploc (whatever the hell that is)

soooo basically im surrounded in forks 2 of which i could afford, the other 2 i can afford once i find someone to buy this kidney.

so, what is U-Turn.. what is Poploc.. and is it worth the extra œ100?
  • ddoogie
    U-turn is travel adjustment. On the Revelation forks its between 85mm up to a maximum of 130mm and anywhere in between. Excellent if you need to drop the front end for a steep climb or you are doing lots of switchback turns. Poploc is the remote fork lockout. I would not bother with it myself. The lockout is within easy reach without having to have a switch on the handlebars. The only time lockout is properly useful is on roads and extremely flat ground. Is having a remote lockout going to make any difference in those situation? I leave that up to you and your œ20.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• Blank2k2
    i thought travel adjustment was ETA? cause my current forks will go from 80mm to 130mm

or is there more to it?

currently favoring the none uturn air at mo i think
  • ddoogie
    Different companies use different acronyms etc. ETA is Marzocchi's lockout feature. It crushes the fork down so it has about 30mm of travel but still has some movement. They have an actual travel adjustment feature which, I believe, is called ATA (air travel adjust or something). U-turn belongs to rockshox. Manitou Blacks had a 2 step travel adjust which is what you have.

I'd save money and go for a non u-turn fork. On big travel bikes its useful as the front end can get pretty lofty but its not much use when you only have 130mm to use anyway. I'd also want to save weight and go for Air but if you want to save money then go for coil and see if its the right spring for you.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works Stumpjumper FSR</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• omblae
    omblae Posts: 206
    Marzocchi all mountain 3. 220 quid or something at www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk but RRP 279.99. Lockout, coil with air assist and Marzocchi's buttery smooth feel; I have a pair myself and am chuffed to pieces with them. Also 140mm travel.

And the lord said "Thou shalt not put Tora's on a VP Free"
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ben Bramhill</i>

On upgrades? Pay someone œ90 to take it away.
  • Blank2k2
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by omblae</i>

Marzocchi all mountain 3. 220 quid or something at www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk but RRP 279.99. Lockout, coil with air assist and Marzocchi's buttery smooth feel; I have a pair myself and am chuffed to pieces with them. Also 140mm travel.

the forks on my bike that got stolen were marzocchi's... loved them to bits, but was told rockshox are the puppys parts at mo

tho after looking at them, the forks look rather tastey.

so, which should i get?

Rockshox Revelation 426 DualAir (2007) œ269.99
    or
    Marzocchi All Mountain 3 Forks (2007) œ234.99 (140mm travel wont be bizzare compared to my 130mm current im assuming?)
  • ddoogie
    Revelations without a doubt. The lower end of the Marz AM range really isn't that good. The ones I rode (not quite sure on the exact model but they were 2006 AM forks) were notchy and never reached full travel.

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• Blank2k2
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ddoogie</i>

Revelations without a doubt. The lower end of the Marz AM range really isn't that good. The ones I rode (not quite sure on the exact model but they were 2006 AM forks) were notchy and never reached full travel.

<hr noshade size="1">

oki doki ill settle on revelation :) (again lol)

i just know im gunna be looking at:

Rockshox Revelation 426 DualAir (2007) œ269.99
    Rockshox Revelation 426 Air U-Turn (2007) œ329.99

for the next couple of weeks thinking U-turn or no U-turn
    œ269 isnt too painful, but then the œ1600 mountain bike... first maintence ive done on it (apart from pad change) since i got it (2005), should i splash out & get the œ329.

dont u just hate it when u have to buy something? lol.
  • ddoogie
    I would be very reluctant to pay an extra œ60 for one feature. Because its Air U-turn, it only offers 30mm of adjustment. Seems a little pointless to me. The FSR 120s work really well with the 130mm up front and, unless you are climbing super steep sections, it doesn't make sense to knock the travel down to 100mm. Buy a new set of tyres with your œ60 and enjoy!

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• Blank2k2

I would be very reluctant to pay an extra œ60 for one feature. Because its Air U-turn, it only offers 30mm of adjustment. Seems a little pointless to me. The FSR 120s work really well with the 130mm up front and, unless you are climbing super steep sections, it doesn't make sense to knock the travel down to 100mm. Buy a new set of tyres with your œ60 and enjoy!

<hr noshade size="1">

if thats all it does ill agree with ya, ill go for the Dual Airs for sure, œ269 is doable assuming i dont blow all my money on xbox360 games next week :)

and i do need a new set of tyres... oh god, maybe thats for another forum thread lol :)
  • newmember
    newmember Posts: 66

I was going to suggest the very same thing - brilliant forks, far better than the Vanillas too, the wind down travel is helpful too.
    <hr noshade size="1">
    [}:)]
    <font color="white">_</font id="white">\_/\_/\_/\__,

<b><font color="green">F</font id="green">lur<i>r</i>y co<font color="red">p</font id="red">ied <font color="orange">m</font id="orange">e.</b>
  • omblae
    omblae Posts: 206
    Still stand by my AM3's. Maybe the 06's weren't as good, but i've felt alot of forks and i am very impressed with the AM3's feel.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ben Bramhill</i>

On upgrades? Pay someone œ90 to take it away.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I just like to say, the RS forks are much cheaper here

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!