Upgradesville at Chez Stumpjumper!

ginsterdrz
ginsterdrz Posts: 128
edited June 2007 in MTB general
All with the aim of making the best bike i've ever ridden even better (and lighter), i upgraded my frame from the 2007 E5 Alloy Stumpjumper to S-works Carbon having come into a bit of money.
The frame is a little lighter but the response is awesome-just feels more connected to the ground-must be the carbon? Well recommended!
Fitted XT chainset as well. A lot stiffer than the Truvativ Stylo's.

Comments

• ddoogie
    ddoogie Posts: 4,159
    Oooo lets see some pictures.

The carbon was a little out of my price bracket when I was buying mine but it certainly looks amazing. I always wondered if it made that much of a difference. How is the Brain shock?

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">S-Works</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

You'll see me on the floor.
  • ginsterdrz
    Will post photo's as soon as i've got off the thing long enough to take some!
    Still sussing out the 'Brain' shock. Feels as good as, if not better than the Triad without having to flick between the two positions (never used lockout position). More money than sense!
  • ginsterdrz
    Got off it long enough to take a few photo's.
    New wheelset will be the next upgrade. Not sure what yet.....ZTR Olympic rims+XT hubs???

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=154707
  • ddoogie
    XT hubs really aren't great. Go for something a bit more upmarket to suit the bike a bit better.

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• ginsterdrz
    Fancied the latest Hope III's but heard they're not the lightest.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    What have you done with your old frame?

My Scott

My Single Speed

Always remember to pick your Uni according to the local trails or you'll be stuck with nowhere to ride for three years!
  • ddoogie
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ginsterdrz</i>

Fancied the latest Hope III's but heard they're not the lightest.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pro IIs are more suitable.

<hr noshade size="1">
    S-works Stumpjumper FSR

I'll see you at the end.

• ginsterdrz
    Old frame is sat in a plastic bag in the loft! Not sure what to do with it yet.
  • ginsterdrz
    Ordered my ProII hubbed XC717 wheels from Merlin today along with a Hope stem-both in Stealth Black (its my age)-can't wait.

Fitted S-Works carbon bars today-old Specialized Alloy bar 233g -new carbo bars 202g.

S'pose it all counts!
  • Trail Rider
    Trail Rider Posts: 48
    Looks rather *hemm* BLOODY SEXY to me. That bike is the shizzles-keep it up mate
  • ginsterdrz
    Wheels and new tyres fitted (Panaracer Razor XC) and 50mile Cyffylliog Challenge ride completed.

First impressions:
    Hope rear hub clicks like an embarrassing early warning system!
    Expected punctures and sketchy handling from the (thin?) 470g tyres. The handling was a little loose at times-dry test only-but no punctures so far.
    They look superb and accelerate quicker than the original wheelset. The front Specialized Stout hub and DT Swiss X430 rim are right on the weight money though-don't bother replacing yours.
    The rear wheel saved 385g over the original wheel plus 100g for the tyres-nearly 1/2 a kilo.
    Next step is my original frame sale and Hope Mini Pro brake upgrade.
  • rubber side up
    rubber side up Posts: 2,150
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ginsterdrz</i>

Wheels and new tyres fitted (Panaracer Razor XC) and 50mile Cyffylliog Challenge ride completed.

First impressions:
    Hope rear hub clicks like an embarrassing early warning system!
    Expected punctures and sketchy handling from the (thin?) 470g tyres. The handling was a little loose at times-dry test only-but no punctures so far.
    They look superb and accelerate quicker than the original wheelset. The front Specialized Stout hub and DT Swiss X430 rim are right on the weight money though-don't bother replacing yours.
    The rear wheel saved 385g over the original wheel plus 100g for the tyres-nearly 1/2 a kilo.
    Next step is my original frame sale and Hope Mini Pro brake upgrade.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

hope mini pro *drools*

you sir, need to give me some money [:D]

the bike looks stunning though.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by EvilAlex</i>

Something round here tastes bad. Could be plain old bad taste.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"></center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike
    </center>www.mtb-bitz.co.uk - Bitz for you & your mountain bike. pinkbike