Reading - Berkshire - Oxfordshire Areas

a_purple_monkey
a_purple_monkey Posts: 11
edited July 2007 in MTB rides
Anyone ride around these areas?

Know of good places to go or regular meets?

Cheers guys and girls

Comments

• There's some good stuff up around Wallingford and surrounding areas for getting good XC ridingin, with some lovely scenery. Alternatively there's Swinley (Bracknell) Forest which has a mix of firetrails, good challenging singletrack, jumps etc with a few short sharp hills to make the legs work. There are always mountain bikers in the Look Out Discovery Centre car park at weekends to ask for a bit more info, and there are maps available from the Look Out shop itself. You need to buy a day permit to ride (~œ1.50) or an annual permit which is œ16.

The straighter the line, the faster I go!

The straighter the line, the faster I go!
  • dunnnooo
    dunnnooo Posts: 900
    I ride around the witney/oxford/lechlade area in oxfordshire- where are you based and what do you ride?

<font size="1"><font color="teal"><center>I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous.</center></font id="teal"><font color="blue"><center> As you go through life, always remeber that you are unique; just like everybody else</center></font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><center><font color="navy">Never be aftraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the ark. A large group of professionals built the titanic.</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
    I'd give my right hand to be ambi-dextrous
  • lex2
    lex2 Posts: 13
    I ride around Newbury and Thatcham.
  • Trail_Builder
    Trail_Builder Posts: 1,992
    there is usually quite a few meets going on on my forum (see sig), but because its exam period atm there arent as many as usual.

still a good few goign though. check it out :D (saves me typing up them all here).

Adam<hr noshade size="1">
    <center><font size="5"><-- <font color="blue">www.SouthernFreerider.co.uk</font id="blue"> --></font id="size5"></center>
  • theoriginal
    theoriginal Posts: 35
    monkey where abouts are you based
  • Ben
    Ben Posts: 5,534
    I'm an Oxford rider, a couple of AWESOME places to ride there if you know where to go.

Then there's Aston Hill, Swinley etc.

• thaibog
    thaibog Posts: 271
    So much riding around here..

Stokenchurch..watlington.. frieth ..turville..henley..naphill...tring...wendover..Chesham

I live in High wycombe and we manage 25 mile loops straight from our house without crossing our paths for weeks on end.

We try and stick to bridlepaths but the horses chew it up so bad that we are converted footpath ninjas.. sublime singletrack

God Bless the Chiltern Hills

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=148766
  • davydesign
    davydesign Posts: 178
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thaibog</i>

So much riding around here..

Stokenchurch..watlington.. frieth ..turville..henley..naphill...tring...wendover..Chesham

I live in High wycombe and we manage 25 mile loops straight from our house without crossing our paths for weeks on end.

We try and stick to bridlepaths but the horses chew it up so bad that we are converted footpath ninjas.. sublime singletrack

God Bless the Chiltern Hills

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=148766
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I can vouch for that... ride around those areas fairly regularly.

I'm new to this forum, are there ever any hook ups of forum rides in those parts thaibog?

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font face="Trebuchet MS">Handsome Ransom | Chillin' in the Chilterns
    Just ride til something breaks. Then replace it!</font id="Trebuchet MS"></center>
  • Ticaboy
    Ticaboy Posts: 314
    I am more south Oxfordshire, not far from the Ridgeway (only a few miles from the house). I mainly use the Ridgeway as the basis of most of my routes, but have also been hoping to go further afield. I am a member of Reading Ratz MTB Club who have a Centre nr Checkdon. Mainly single-track through woodland etc. It host(ed) plenty of races and was supposed to be good, but I've since heard the good part of the course has been reclaimed by the landowner, and the parts that are left are just not as interesting. Members get access to Swinley too, so will definately try that ASAP.