MEGAVALANCHE 2007?

terrywinnan
terrywinnan Posts: 146
edited June 2007 in MTB general
Hi, anyone out there doing the MEGA this July?

Me and two mates are doing it for the first time this year, and would love to hear any thing what-so-ever to do with it?

Reckon i'll be ok with a set of 2.5" super tacky High Rollers?

Full upper body armour pressure suits, too hot to handle or absolutely essential?

What is the seperate qualifying course like to ride?

I know there are going to be loads of Brits there again this year. I'm sure we can all benifit from each others info!

Nice one, cheers,

Terry.

burn plastic
burn plastic

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Depends on which Pressure suit.

Some of the newer ones are ok heat wise, some of the older ones are pressure cookers.

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font size="1"><font color="black"><font color="black">When asked</font id="black"> what we do it for I didn't have an <font color="black">answer</font id="black"> until I remembered <font color="black">the faces.</font id="black">
    It's for <font color="black">looking </font id="black">over at your best <font color="black">mates</font id="black"> and seeing the same <font color="black">grin</font id="black"> you're wearing and knowing why. It's for looking back on that, and being able to <font color="black">grin again</font id="black">.</font id="black"></font id="size1">
    <i><font color="black"><font size="1">Mail me if you think i've got it wrong</i></font id="black"></font id="size1"></center>
  • tom_majski
    tom_majski Posts: 432
    i'm not there for it, but will hopefully get to ride the course in august - i know thats no help to you though

myspack
  • terrywinnan
    Cool,

Well i have seen a new Azonic suit for œ99 on Chain Reaction. Looks good and keenly priced! It's just that i hear about the MEGA having its uphill bits as well as down, and the thought of pushing/running with my bike up a hill in the height of summer is making me cringe a bit!

I'm thinking more about getting a 661 race lite jacket, which is a sort of exoskeleton breast and back protector and using one of those with elbow gaurds. I want to know if im barking up the wrong tree with this as it may not be good enough?

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • Matt
    Matt Posts: 5,288
    I really wanna do it, but it's looking like a bit of a trek + accomodation costs from the Portes du Soleil area.

<hr noshade size="1">
    Chaparral
  • -C-
    -C- Posts: 1,168
    Skinnier tyres, leg pads, elbow pads & a full face lid.

Wearing a full gimp suit with camelbak & everthing else would be painfull.

Meep Meep!

[:0] [:D]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by -C-</i>

Wearing a full gimp suit with <b>camelbak</b> & everthing else would be painfull.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Not that you'd be able to use one mid-race. It's not XC lol.

<center>
    <font face="Arial">Zoo Pitbull</font id="Arial">

<font face="Arial">Turner DHR</font id="Arial"></center>
    <center>
    <font>Zoo Pitbull</font>

<font>Turner DHR</font></center>
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    It's not xc racing. It's not dh racing. It's mountain bike racing.

Also as mush armour as possible would be advised. if you watch earthed 3 you'll see just how brutal and rocky it can be.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1241235/
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1241234/

If it ain't saint. It ain't that bad.
  • terrywinnan
    Yeah, i have Earthed 3 and also the actual Megavalanche DVD bought from the Avalanche Trophy website. A must have for people that want to do it. Everyone does have Camelbacks actually, as the race is about one and a half hours. The trick is, half fill the bladder, then stuff in two inner tubes, a chain, a stubby pump and small tool. Seems like too much to carry but when you puncture, and you will probably puncture and break your chain you have to fix it there and then. There is no help whatsoever in the whole course. Long walk down!

The dvd says Gee Atherton Broke his chain and punctured straight away in the 2005 one. No one exempt!

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • billy79
    billy79 Posts: 607
    Would love to do the Megavalanche one day. Love the feature on on Earthed 3. How much does it cost to enter?

Vote for my Bike http://www.moredirt.co.uk/ratebike.php?id=609
    A PLACE FOR RIDERS
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk
  • ImprezaRob
    ImprezaRob Posts: 665
    I'd love to do it too, but none of my mates are really up for it! :-(
  • -C-
    -C- Posts: 1,168
    IIRC, its about œ80.

Meep Meep!

[:0] [:D]
  • acid
    acid Posts: 2,161
    why can't you just ride up the up bits? surly you will have quite alot of speed going into it, and from what i have heard (know a few people who did it last year) best bike for it is a all mountain bike as a full on downhill bike is too much for that length

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/? ... age=431836

WWW.GUERNSEYVELO.ORG.GG

WWW.GUERNSEYDHR.COM
  • terrywinnan
    It's 53 euros for entrance and a lift pass for three days. That covers the practice day Friday, the qualifiers Sat and the Mega on Sunday. Flights with Easyjet including the bikes boths ways œ120

You need to have either a racing license (which i hav'nt cos i'm an amatuer idiot!) or a doctors note declaring lung, heart, blood pressure functions that is less than 3 months old. You take it with you.

It's cool if you dont qualify, because new this year starts the "Mega Affinnity" which is basically the other 750 odd riders that did'nt qualify for the top. The Mega Affinnity is not timed, but the whole lot still are released in half an hour so will still be mental.

Everyone gets the free buffet meals afterwards too! If you finish in one peice!

Absolutely cannot wait. Ride of your life innit.

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • terrywinnan
    Oh and i'm going with my Orange Patriot in full downhill mode. Single chainring, 888's. F**k it just walk the uphill sections and then let rip on the rest of the 80% downhill exhilaration!

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • SJ
    SJ Posts: 2,871
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gibbon on an Orange</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by -C-</i>

Wearing a full gimp suit with <b>camelbak</b> & everthing else would be painfull.

Not that you'd be able to use one mid-race. It's not XC lol.

Doing a race that is potentially going to take 90 mins to 2 hours for someone of a reasonable standard would be plain stupid with no means of hydration.

It's not DH either.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by El Capitano</i>

Oh, and TBH, SJ is a much better stalker than you.....
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><u><font color="blue"><div align="right">10http://www.mbuk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=182209% Pure Filth!</div id="right"></font id="blue"></u>
    <font color="pink"><font size="1">Most Funny - 7th Sexiest Member - 2nd Most Like to Meet - 5th Most likely to be rohypnoled by another forumite - 4th Nicest bike - 4th</font id="size1"></font id="pink">
    a dirtbag of the most delightful variety
  • me
    me Posts: 1,693
    i would love to try something like that, would be so cool. all im gonna say - arm pump!!!

i love singlespeed :D
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1162349/
  • terrywinnan
    Yeah the arm pump thing. I guess i'll soon find out about that!

At the moment i feel ok about the MEGA. Ive been cycling around ten miles everyday for years and years, and will be doing loads of DH runs regularly in the lead up at Cwm Carn and Aston Hill. Also i will be swimming three times a week. Sounds lame but is brilliant cross training for biking.

All that though is B**locks i expect compared to what i will experience at the MEGA.

I understand that i just dont know Sh*t until i do it really. Just have to wait and see!

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • Im going with a mate from newcastle. It'll be a hoot. Will be armoured up to the eyeballs with camelback (something else to soften the impact!!) We're thinking we'll drive over. Has anyone sorted their accommodation yet? any recommendations for cheap places? Dunno whether to just turn up and try and get somewhere or book in advance. A quick trawl of the internerd seems to suggest we'll be ok just turning up. As for practice erm..............

And the disciples did say to the Lord:
    "Oh look Lord, what a big f~cking lizard"

Bill Hicks RIP
  • terrywinnan
    Oh cool,

Were flying, but havn't sorted transfers yet. Better get on the case with that! It'l be great to drive there. Acommadation, well like you, ive checked the internet. I always hear that there are ample hotels around, but i still want to book ahead. If you turn up, there may only be awkwardly located hotels left. That will be fine for you if you are driving though.

I dont know about you, but i am already winding up about it! It's going to blow us away!

I had this dream that i was trying NOT to qualify, but i actually qualified really highly and was absolutely S**tting myself!

Weird, oh well dream on! I'm just doing it to survive to the bottom really.

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • death grip all the way!!

Bill Hicks RIP
  • Also not sure about the qualifying thing, it'd be nice to be timed - but that leads to balls to the wall all the way down. No timing means i'd get to cruise down, admiring the view and having fun. im not too into 'competitive'!! lol

Bill Hicks RIP
  • sorry for triple post, let me know when you're thinking about accommodation and who you're going with, prices etc. i also like the idea of having everything sorted to just arrive and chill.

Bill Hicks RIP
    360 Posts: 5,940
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by terrywinnan</i>

Hi, anyone out there doing the MEGA this July?

Me and two mates are doing it for the first time this year, and would love to hear any thing what-so-ever to do with it?

Reckon i'll be ok with a set of 2.5" super tacky High Rollers?

Full upper body armour pressure suits, too hot to handle or absolutely essential?

What is the seperate qualifying course like to ride?

I know there are going to be loads of Brits there again this year. I'm sure we can all benifit from each others info!

Nice one, cheers,

Terry.

Im a 3 time mega veteran (03,04,05).

High rollers will be fine.

95% of people will be in full bodyarmour, you will definitely crash but it will be hot next time i'll have knee pads and spine and nothing else.

Qualifier is about 35mins if your nippy, its more fun too in my opinion.

Guess Im an Idiot because I dont take a camelbak, although I usualy do just over the hour, I never stop so drinking is hard in a full face and alot of the time im breathing so hard that drinking is physically impossible.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."

P.s Im not doing that again.
  • roryf
    roryf Posts: 1,335
    Photos of a friend of mine doing it last year can be seen here
  • terrywinnan
    360 cheers for the advice about the armour. I'm always too hot as it is so i think i would trade protection for heat releif! Just over an hour. Your hauling ass ar'nt you! F**k.

Geordie biker, yeah i thought the same about the qualifier. I think though, the course looks like a blast. really big and smoothly flowing. I will just ride it without pushing myself too badly and just consider it a warm up for the next day.

I will find that hotel again that i saw once before. It looked perfect so when i get the details i'll give you a link or something ok.

Yep, first time i'm doing this mentalness. Gutted on Friday. I was meant to be in Cwm Carn downhilling and my colleage was rushed to hospital! I had to work! how inconsiderate! My mates were doing about ten full runs on the Mojo whilst i was at work just looking at my bike. What a loser!!! Thats essentail training i just missed!

burn plastic
    burn plastic
  • ormsy
    ormsy Posts: 45
    is there an age limit to the Megavalanche or is it different age groups?

i was thinking of going next year with some mates, but i havnt really got any downhilling experience apart from some 30 second long tracks so i should really start training.
  • nice one terry, cheers. Not sure about age limit, should tell you on www.avalanchecup.com or active europe - the peeps you book with. Probably got to be old enough to remove liability from them tho (18+).
  • ormsy
    ormsy Posts: 45
    oh rite, means ive got 2 years to do training then lol
  • anyone done any training yet? ive done a few local runs but nowt major. got the crossing sorted, looks like i'll get there sunday so i'll get all week. should be good to acclimatise and get some runs in before the qual's. did you get your accommodation sorted terry?
  • terrywinnan
    Hi yeah,

Sorry i hav'nt been checking this forum. Did'nt want to come back to you unless i had something interesting to say!

I have booked my accomadation. Paste the text below into the address bar to check out the hotel.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/pub/agent.dll? ... 441&from=i

It worked out œ158 for a whole one bedroom flat for four nights. Not bad aay!

Training, well kind of yeah. We are blasting away at Aston Hill every Saturday from now on, mixed with as much Cwm Carn as possible.

Also i cycle everyday to work so i like to think i'm not too unfit. Saying that, if i carry on turning my apres bike pint into a massive all nighter piss up i'm gonna have problems!

It stops now! hehe honestly though i am buzzing about the Mega.

me and my mates have one obstacle left. The transfers from geneva airport are ridiculous! I did'nt realise how far it was, or that a transfer for three guys and three bikes is 700 euros!

Well, i will keep getting quotes but do you know of any better way?

Where do you ride then in the UK?

I'll keep in touch with this thread from now on!

Later dude.

burn plastic
    burn plastic