Email Scams. post the ones you receive here

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited February 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Post the wierd and wonderful mails you have recieved trying to tempt you to part with your bike for more money than you want!
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by js</i>

Hello,
    Thanks for your quick response......Okay i have call my international client and he has let me understand that the method of paying is by cheque drawn in united kingdom Bank which is save....Am still
    intresting in buying your bike and i would need your fullmailing address where you can receive a check of œ3800........And the excess funds of the check will be sent to the shipping company through western union money tarnsfer outlet around you for the immediate pick up of the goods from your location as soon as the transactionis completed......Also i've contacted the shipping company coming to your location for the pick up of the goods......Kindly provide the address on time and name that will be on the check for the payment.....Trust is good....Looking forward to this transaction smoothly and quickly....
    Regards

does this sounds suspicious, anyway, i could probably get his cheque, when it clears get the cash out of the bank and then send it. ehat do you think. i think i smell a rat

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <center> "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail." </center>
    <center><font size="1">
    <font color="black">the GF</font id="black"> <font color="blue">the wife</font id="blue"> <font color="green">tarmac!</font id="green"> <font color="red">the mistress</font id="red"> <font color="black">the old crone</font id="black"> <font color="green">a lot of air</font id="green"> <font color="orange">4 wheels</font id="orange">
    <font color="brown">need to know things about wheels and other interesting bike topics then go to sheldon browns web page</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">need help with a repair then follow this link to park tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">spoke calculator to work out spoke lengths</font id="black"> <font color="green">Ask the Louse or Dave</font id="green">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    coming soon
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • (Matt)
    (Matt) Posts: 11
    hi matt,
    i'm really interested in the 223,
    i will pay you 3400 for it, and pick it up mate, what do you say?
    my dad knows your dad so its all cool.

cheers man,
    chris.

really dodgy.

<center><font size="1">223</font id="size1">
    <font size="1">Barcode</font id="size1"></center>
    <center>=stricker=</center>
  • ok not a dodgy email to me but something on the right thread of ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27948&item=7125151072&rd=1
    look at the page and read the p-p-p-powerbook link..

"come join me on my adventures across reality, we'll stop for lunch at the restraunt at the end of the universe"
    "come join me on my adventures across reality, we\'ll stop for lunch at the restraunt at the end of the universe"
  • nicklouse
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Hi all. I wasnt going to relist this yet but there are still so many scam listings that I feel I have to. Thanks to all those people wanting to help out with listing fees. If you wish to donate towards the listing fee please use the "Buy it Now" link.

To date I have had over 160 emails about this listing, several of which have told of how close they had come to falling for one of these scams. Be aware tho that the scammers are continually changing their techniques and listing formats but still keep several of the same attributes notably bargain prices, off Ebay emails, Escrow, Western Union, free shipping and no cash on pickup (personal pickup). Be vigilant - ask a lot of questions - and if in doubt walk away.

As many of you are aware there are a lot of scams going around offering high end mountain bikes (and other expensive items like wide screen TVs) at very low prices. This is a brief lesson on how to avoid them! Please let me know if you have found this useful - it wasnt free to list but if it helps I will keep posting it. This is a work in progress so feel free to email me with more ways to combat Ebay scams.

To start with - there are a lot of upstanding, honest and reliable sellers on Ebay. With a little bit of care you can make sure all your transactions are with genuine sellers who provide genuine items and often at bargain prices.

Here are a few general rules they may help stop you being ripped off. Most apply to more expensive items - the more you can afford to lose the money the less relevant they become.

If you are bidding on an item and receive an email offering a similar item but new and at a better price then it is almost certainly a scam (and if not then it is against Ebay policy and a bit unfair on the listed items seller). See "Scam Emails" below.
    If it is a more expensive item always ask if you can come and have a look at the item and pay the seller COD. Normally the only reason the seller wont agree to this is because he is a fraud. You dont need to actually turn up.
    Do not deal off eBay - if you do you have no protection at all from Ebay.
    Check the sellers feed back - if he is selling a full on down hill rig but has only ever used his account to buy antique cigarette cartons then something doesnt add up.
    Sellers with 0 feedback are often a source of bargains - we all started out with a 0 - but make sure you ask a lot of questions - scammers can easily set up several new accounts a day. Try to pick the item up your self.
    Ask for a partial or full serial number and photos of a specific detail. Sure not everyone has a digital camera but if it is an expensive item then it is worth their while to borrow one if it helps make a sale.
    Once you have bid on an item you are able to request the sellers contact information (the seller will also receive yours) - check that the details are correct with what you have been told.
    A Western Union wire transfer is like cash - once it has gone, it has gone - you cant get it back. There are better ways to pay distant sellers.
    If the item is being offered in the UK prices in the item description (as opposed to the details at the top of the item) should be œ, for the US $, for most of Europe ? - if they arent - be suspicious.
    Dont use a simple password - the simpler it is for you to remember the easier it is to crack - use mixed case and numbers and dont base them on words like p455w0rd
    Have a look at the Ebay Forum to see the latest scams.
    Look for obvious faults - I am putting my user ID and date on all pictures so buyers will know they are fake if they turn up on someone else auction.
    Credit Cards, even via Paypal, usually provide some form of buyer protection - contact your CC provider. BTW it is against US law to charge extra for a US (not UK) CC purchase via Paypal - this is a form of fraud so just say NO!
    In the UK it is legal to ask extra for Paypal transactions - but note that the amount charged to the seller is variable and tends to be around 3.5% of the total If they are asking for 5% then they are making a profit! THIS IS NOW AGAINST EBAYS RULES - IT AMOUNTS TO FRAUD - NEVER BID ON AN ITEM FROM SOMEONE WHO CHARGES A FEE - see here
    You cant buy a Rolls Royce for 50p - unless it is made by Matchbox. This happens - make sure you know exactly what it is you are buying.
    Genuine sellers are usually helpful and flexible and will try to accomodate - dont be afraid to ask - it is your money.
    Free shipping and all taxes paid is usually a good tip off - shipping and taxes can be very expensive so why would anyone give this away?
    Duty on whole bikes is 15% and 4.7% for bike parts being brought into the UK, and VAT at 17.5% is added to these figures (duty does vary and is not a easy thing to work out - even when you know where to look).
    Generally a warrantee or guarantee is valid only in the country of origin - be wary if the seller tries to tell you otherwise.
    International (USA) shipping via UPS or FedEx is tracked from day one and at each stage - it may be an empty carton but at least you know something is on its way and exactly where it is! IMHO well worth the extra cost over USPS.
    If you are suspicious - there is probably a reaon - be careful.
    Never log into Ebay or Paypal from a link in an email - it will be a scam - always type in www.ebay.co.uk so you know you are logging into the correct site.

Bogus Second Chance offer
    If you receive a second chance offer for an item you have bid on ensure that it is from the same seller as was selling the original item. Usually these will ask you to deal off Ebay via a supplied email address. Once again only use the proper Ebay processes and you should be ok.

Feedback ScamThis is where a seller will buy multiple items often of very low value or from accounts that he has previously set up simply to increase his feedback rating. Often you will see multiple instances of "not a registered user" when you look through their feedback and also the feedback of people they have previously bought and sold to - here is a perfect example scammer. Always check back thru feedback and make sure it is of similar value to what you are buying - dont buy a œ1500 laptop from someone who has only ever bought œ1 CDs without doing some careful investigation into his integrity.

Bogus Winner Emails
    This is a new one to me (again). A email is sent to the 2nd highest bidder in an auction stating that the high bidders bid has been cancelled and that you are now the winner of the item. Once again the transaction is to be made by Western Union, shipping and insurance are free and the english is poor.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'VE WON THE AUCTION LISTED BELOW!
    Winner Pseudo: Ebay ID
    Site:www.eBay.com
    Item Number: 2003 Santa Cruz Blur XT DT Fox RLC AVA 16.5" (Item #
    3123456789)
    Seller Email: sellerid@yahoo.com
    Quantity: 1
    Price: GBP 1,200.00
    Shipping: FREE
    Total: GBP 1,200.00 (including insurance)
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR WINNING BID. WE HAVE JUST BEEN INFORMED THAT
    IT IS ABOUT THE CANCELLATION OF THE WINNING BID AND WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED
    BY EBAY TO CONTACT THE NEXT HIGHEST BIDDER OF OUR AUCTION.
    WE GUARANTEE THAT THE ITEM IS 100% GENUINE AND,BESIDE THAT, WE
    INFORM YOU THAT WE OFFER A THREE-DAY RETURN POLICY IF OUR CLIENTS ARE NOT
    SATISFIED.
    THE TRANSACTION IS TO BE MADE BY: WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.
    DELIVERY IS BETWEEN 2-5 DAYS AND THE TAXES WILL BE PAID BY US.
    PLEASE, NOTE THAT THE COURIERS REQUIRE A SIGNATURE WHEN THE PARCEL IS
    DELIVERED. PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU REQUIRE INSURANCE.
    INSURANCE IS ADDITIONAL AND WILL BE FREE FOR THIS ITEM.
    PLEASE, LET US KNOW YOUR DECISION REGARDING THE TRANSACTION AS
    SOON AS POSSIBLE, AS WE CAN OFFER YOU ALL THE DETAILS.

Scam emails
    These are sent to people who bid on a similar item in another auction and usually follow the format below. The scammer gets the email to you via the list of bidders on the item (the reason I have made some of mine private). Dont even bother replying as this may alert the emailer that Ebay is about to act. Forward the email and header information to Ebay to deal with - there are details on how to do this here.

This is a new one to me (thanks Andy) but seems to have raised the standard of the scam - very fluent and honest sounding:

Hi, The Cannondale Scalpel Team Replica Bike is brand new in factory sealed box with all the accessories and warranty. I have 4 syllabub (size S,M,L and size XL), so I?m ready to sell you one of them right now for œ1050 (shipping included).

As a shipping carrier I will use UPS express services because I have worked with them in the past and they were very fast and secure. Please send me your shipping address.

About the payment, I had some bad experience with my PayPal account. (This is very very suspicious - Mike) You can see by yourself visiting www.(URL deleted - Mike). I don't want to use this service until I get all my money from them. To make it prompt and safe I would rather you sent me the money via Western Union because this is the fastest way to send money (You can make it over the phone by calling 1-800-CALL-CASH or if you are a first time user then you must go in person to a Western Union agent from where you can send the payment on my name and address). Amount to send: œ1050 I will pay the Western Union transfer fee. Please subtract the transfer fee from the amount and send me the rest of it.

After you make the payment through Western Union they will provide you the MTCN that means money transfer control number. E-mail me the MTCN and the sender's full name and address that you filled in on the transfer request. As soon as I receive from you the transfer details I will check the payment and immediately contact UPS carrier to ship the package to you. Then I will e-mail you the tracking number from UPS so you can track the shipment all the way to your home.

Hoping that sounds ok for you I am already looking forward for future deals.

And here is the older less polished version:

Hi there , Excuse me Sir / madam for contacting me like this but I have to little time and alot of products syllabub .So I can offer you the best price and offer on this item Santa Cruz V10 downhill bike Boxxers RaceFace ) The price is 1600GBP We can close this deal very easy if we build truse between us .I will make the first step , I will send you the info you need first , anjd the package via UPS and I will accept the payment after you recive and inspect the package ,but you will pay forst 50% of the price .If you are not hapy with the product you order you can send it back to me but in that care you will have to pay the shipping .The paymant will be done with WesternUnion.Oh , I will pay the shipping taxes and I will shipp you the package first via UPS .You will have to send me the rest of payment after you will inspect the package . I hope it is all clear to you and if you see and think that is the best deal for you and your product please Reply me soon so I will can send you the details of the product and all the information you need . Excuse me again for contacting you like this but I hope you understand me , and I doo this offer to you for only 2 reasons : - scam is running the eBay business - I have alot of modfels syllabub All the best and thank for your time !!!

The Hi-Jacked account
    This usually takes the format as below asking you to contact the seller via an off Ebay email address. This is because the Ebay email address usually still points to the real owner of the account - never contact a Ebay seller via this sort of email address - always use the "ask seller a question" link. At least one scammer is changing the ebay registered email address so this is not fool proof. The spelling is often dreadful and you often get the idea the guy doesnt quite know what it is he is selling. Item descriptiuons are often copied from a manfacturers web site and include options (especially colours and sizes - easily edited out by genuine sellers). The description doesnt usually contain specific information on condition / damage / etc. Often the picture does not match the item or title. The listing is usually for a 3 day period. The seller often has multiple similar items syllabub usually all with the same very low start price. Bidding on these items to make a high FVF to hurt the seller usually just hurts the real ID owner and could result in problems for the bidder such as the Ebay NPB program - not recommended!

First type of Scam item

Before bidding on this auction please contact us for the shipping and payment details by this e-mail prior:

scam@scams.scam.uk

Buy now price : 1000GBP-$1800 USD

Brand new 2003 Yeti DH9 size Small, With 9" of rear travel via FOX vanilla shock. Front is marzocchi Shiver fork with 8" of travel. Components include Easton EA70 monkeybars handlebars, Azonic Shorty Stem 50mm, Chris King STEELSET headset, Grip shift Rocket shorty rear shifter with XTR Rear derailleur. Hayes MAG Hydro Disc brakes with 8" rotors. Sun Rims INTENSE MAG 30 DH Rims with Atomic 20mm front hub and Razor Rock Rear Hub both with black spokes and nipples. Kore lite seat post with Tioga XL saddle. Front tire in picture is now rear Nokian Gazzalodi JR. 2.6 width and New front tire is Michelin Wildgripper DH 32 soft rubber 2.8(not shown). RACEFACE SIGNATURE DH ISIS Bottom Bracket with RACEFACE PRODIGY DH CRANKSET with MRP Chain guide and Azonic A-Frame pedals. Has been ridden only 3 times since being purchased this year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Second Type of Scam item

2003 Yeti ASX Full Suspension Bike

Before bidding on this auction please contact us for the shipping and payment details by this e-mail prior:

scam@scams.scam.uk

Buy now price : 900GBP-$1600USD

Description:

-2003 Marzocchi Super-T (W/ Stiff spring upgrade)
    -Hayes disc brakes 8" rotors front 6" rear
    -Shimano XT Derailleurs
    -Shimano XT Shifters
    -Shimano Hollowtech Cranks
    -Shimano XT Cassette
    -Shimano XT Bottom Bracket
    -Shimano XT Hubs
    -Mavic tubeless compatible rims (823)
    -Michelin 2.5" Tubeless Tires
    -Oury Mountain Grips
    -Shimano PD-M545 Pedals
    -Raceface XY Seatpost
    -WTB Speed V saddle
    -Easton EC-70 Carbon DH handlebar
    -Cane Creek Headset

Condition: New

andale andalesell

Payment Options: Postal Order/Bankers Draft , Personal Cheque , See Item Description , Other Online Payment Services
    Shipping Options: Seller pays Postage Costs.

I will ship to: United Kingdom and Internationally

The Escrow Scam (thanks Richard - forgot about this one).

I have not had any experience of these but I believe the seller sets up a website that appears to be a genuine Escrow provider but is instead just a front for the seller - once the escrow site has your money it is gone. Escrow is meant to work as a money holder until the buyer confirms satisfactory receipt of goods. If anyone can provide more information on these it would be much appreciated (feel free to do something I can C&P in here).

I have also heard of a psuedo escrow type scam where the seller suggests you use Western Union (DONT USE THEM) to send money to a 3rd party and then change the payment to the seller once you have received delivery - all the seller needs to do is turn up with some fake ID and once again he has your money!

Spoof Emails
    Be very suspicious of emails supposedly sent to you from Ebay. Never use a link in one of these emails to log on to Ebay or Paypal - alsways type in www.ebay.co.uk your self. Emails from Ebay seem to take the form @ebay.com or @ebay.co.uk - other domains are probably scams. Do not enter user name and password details - you may be giving them to a fraudster. The same applies to Paypal and in fact any financial institution. Usually any money based website that requires a user name and password will begin with https:// - the s means secure and there should be a valid security certificate to back up the details of the site. If in doubt contact Ebay via one of its web pages and ask for advise.

Buyer dud cheque Scams
    This is a tricky one! A buyer wins an auction and sends you a cheque for payment. The cheque is drawn on a bank from a foreign country - it could be a personal cheque or a forged bank cheque but either way neither you nor your bank pick this up. You deposit the cheque and wait 4 or 5 days for it to clear. The money is still in your account so you assume all is well and send the item. Overseas cheques can take upto 3 weeks to reach the issuing bank and once it does the issuing bank dishonours it and your bank then wants its money back (which you have already spent on something shiny and new). So not only have you lost your item and whatever you paid for freight but the bank is pretty upset and possibly wants some sort of a penalty charge from you as well, and you prbably end up having to borrow the money from the bank to pay them back. Overseas transactions can be a bit tricky but I have had good results with Paypal and international bank transfers (TTs) both of which are traceable and should offer you 'some' protection.

For a useful site on auction fraud see www.sos4auctions.com

and a bit of fun http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/

nick
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <center> "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail." </center>
    <center><font size="1">
    <font color="black">the GF</font id="black"> <font color="blue">the wife</font id="blue"> <font color="green">tarmac!</font id="green"> <font color="red">the mistress</font id="red"> <font color="black">the old crone</font id="black"> <font color="green">a lot of air</font id="green"> <font color="orange">4 wheels</font id="orange">
    <font color="brown">need to know things about wheels and other interesting bike topics then go to sheldon browns web page</font id="brown"> <font color="blue">need help with a repair then follow this link to park tools!</font id="blue"> <font color="black">spoke calculator to work out spoke lengths</font id="black"> <font color="green">Ask the Louse or Dave</font id="green">
    older than an old thing that is very old</font id="size1"></center>
    coming soon
  • emyr42
    emyr42 Posts: 587
    cor!

I read all of that and it took me ages!!

why bother posting the content if you're posting the link?

<hr noshade size="1">Ride Track - good weather guaranteed
    <hr noshade size="1">Ride Track - there\'s no hills...
    www.cumtbiking.org
  • tojwonkle
    tojwonkle Posts: 107
    I had a funny one once: it claimed to be from the FBI from the 'Illegal downloads dept.' and that I was going to be arrested for downloading stuff of the internet (which I hadn't been doing). it had an attatchment which had a big virus in it. I also had one claiming to be from eBay asking me for credit card details or summat

USELESS POST TO FILL A BOX ON A FORUM. DO NOT READ.
  • nicholias
    nicholias Posts: 6,199
    well i have deleted all the scams i get but mostly they involve a random offering a sum off about œ3000 + asking me to deduct my money etc... best thing to say is i dont accept cheques, if you get no reply you know their scammers, i have on several occasions requested a reply to why they try this but none reply

<center>
    <font size="6"> </font id="size6">
    THISISMYBIKE</center>
    Can't Be Bothered
  • Mattie
    Mattie Posts: 6,680
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tojwonkle</i>

it claimed to be from the FBI from the 'Illegal downloads dept.' and that I was going to be arrested for downloading stuff of the internet (which I hadn't been doing). it had an attatchment which had a big virus in it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah I got this aswell, seemed a bit strange when I read the sender, and then it hit me, what a cheesy scam! The lengths some people go to when they make these virus' to infect people's computers.

<hr noshade size="1">"If it moves and it shouldn't, use Gaffa Tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40"

Member #141

New Bike Fund = œ240.98
    Target = œ934.67
    "Most Likely To Die First" as voted for in the Forum Awards 2007
  • samsam
    samsam Posts: 1
    Hello Sam,
    Thanks for the mail.also the price is okay by me i will like to inform you that am having an associate in the state and that associate of mine that is owing me (#1500)and is willing to issue out a verified cashier cheque on my behalf i will have to instruct him to issue out the cheque to you then you deduct the said amount and send the balance to my shipping agent that will handle the shipping, if this is okay by you i will
    like to have the following information in respect of receiving the
    cheque,to whom to address the cheque to,
    full name
    i got this from a guy asking to buy my wheel. proper dodgy. any one else heard of clifford jerry?

weeksy
    weeksy
  • so how do these scams work, basically, without reading that up there^

lalala
    <hr noshade size="1">
    ha ha, I moved the line back
    But on the other hand
    Anyone who complains about this sig fingers ducks
  • i got atop quality email from "ebay" once, which wanted me to update my account details.
    it was the most fraudulent thing i have ever seen.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    Update your credit/debit card on your eBay account

Use this secure form to update your credit/debit card information on your eBay account. The transmitted credit/debit card information is protected by industry standard encrypted SSL

* Unfortunately, eBay has not been able to authorize your credit/debit card. Your credit/debit card information must be updated on your eBay account immediately.
    * When you update your credit/debit card on eBay, eBay will attempt to authorize your card. The response from your credit/debit card company will appear on your account status page as either approved or declined within 24 hours of receipt.
    * Please update and verify your information by signing in your account at http://ebay.update.com

***Please Do Not Reply On This E-Mail As You Will Not Recieve A Response***

Thank you
    Accounts management

have a look at the link, it really directs you towards this page: http://66.219.107.154/~kingnoth/_vti_cni/Login.htm
    looks like ebay, but it isnt

dont type in your details, but click on the sign in button if you feel the urge.

what a crock of s**te...

heres the information they ask you for:
    Credit card /debit card number
    Type:
    Credit Card: Visa, MasterCard , American Express, Discover;
    Debit Card: Visa, MasterCard
    eBay Welcomes Visa
    Expiration date

Month: Day: Year:
    Leave day as --, if day on credit/debit card is not listed
    Cardholders Name
    Credit card verification number
    Credit card / debit Pin number
    Bank name
    PayPal Email Address
    Paypal Password
    Please enter your billing address as it appears on your credit card bill statement:
    Bank routing number
    Bank name
    Billing address
    City
    State/province
    Zip/postal code
    Country
    Phone Number
    eBay ID
    eBay Password
    For security purposes, please enter the following security questions accordingly:
    Mother's Maiden Name
    Social Security Number
    Date Of Birth
    Driver License Number
    State of Issue
    for f*cks sake!
    how blatant do they want to be?
    these people need to be hunted down, because a)i find it offensive that they think im that stupid, and b) they are so stupid they need to be locked up.
    i could do a better job than they have.

anyway, if you havent got the idea, dont fill in the forms. theyll steal your money, or make a whole new identity they can sell to criminals.

the worst bit?

some people have actually fallen for it.

<font color="black">www.balfa.co.uk

Open up your mind, and go your own way.</font id="black">
  • dhrider
    dhrider Posts: 2,217
    Dear chris,
    Thanks for your mail.Well,I have seen the pics and is pretty good,i love the stuff.I really want to purchase this ( 5TH ELEMENT COIL SHOCK ) i would like to inform you once
    againthat the mode of payment is going to be by Certified cashier check . This cheque will be sent to you by my client(Customer) who lives in the Franch he is owing me(œ2,300 ) so I decided to use the money to buy the said item from you.Hope i can entrust the check in your hands as long as the cheque is cleared. you are required to deduct cost of the(5TH ELEMENT COIL SHOCK ), (œ230 ), when payment gets to you send the remaind balance of (œ2,070 ) to my shipping Agent for him to come
    for the pick-up of the Item,I will give you his information where you can
    send the money as we proceed further, via Wastern Union transfer as you confirm receipt of payment . To make this payment available to you, I will need the
    following information from you.After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,my agent will come for pick -up, title or bill of sale and drive to
    a prepaid shipper to be shipped, while title or bill of sale papers and other necessary documets will begiven to the shipper. Please Confirm this if okay by
    you and provide the following details of yours. your full Name[To be On Check],physi! cal contactaddress[courier services deliverypurpose],Zipcode,State and Phone number.for check payment to be delivered to you ASAP. Thanks,and have a nice day
    Alan.....

Orange 223 driveside
    Orange 223 non driveside
    Lovely!!
    Base Hardtail
    Giant AC
    Orange 223, Giant AC and Base hardtail
    223 in action on the road jump
    223 in action on a small jump
    www.geocities.com/bikerkid86uk/dirtbikers - My site
    Lapierre Froggy 518
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dhrider</i>

This cheque will be sent to you by my client(Customer) who lives in the Franch

lives in the franch? nice

<hr noshade size="1"><center><font color="orange"><font size="1">THE FRENCH WOMBATS ARE ATTACKING WITH BIG STICKS, BEAT THEM OFF WHILE YOU CAN!!!</font id="size1"></font id="orange">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">What goes around comes around untill it gets dizzy and falls over</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="blue"><font size="1"> Christian Mountain Biking Loonies [;)]</font id="size1"></font id="blue">
    <font color="purple"><font size="1">You cant find yourself on Google - - - Log off and go ride!</font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    </center><font color="green"><font size="1">lala</font id="size1"><font size="2">lala</font id="size2"><font size="3">la</font id="size3"><font size="4">LAAA!</font id="size4"><font size="3">!</font id="size3"><font size="2">!</font id="size2"><font size="1">!</font id="size1"><font size="2">!</font id="size2"><font size="3">!</font id="size3"><font size="4">!</font id="size4"></font id="green">
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • Marshall
    Marshall Posts: 1,738
    Look what Ive just received:

Hello,

I am Interested in your Mini Scout/Moke, do e-mail me the=
    condition, last Price and the picture if avaliable.. Hope to=
    hear from you as soon as possible..

Ray Bennie..<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

God damn tool. They must think people are really stupid to not have latched on to this sort of scam by now.

<center>
    >[xx(]<
    <font size="1">

<b><font color="red">I went out with an Irish Catholic girl once. Very frustrating. You can take the Girl out of Cork ...</font id="red"></b>

Drive side<font color="blue"><u> of </font id="blue"></u> my ride

<font color="red">ARF</font id="red">

The bike shed

</center></font id="size1">
    head_rev-1.jpg
  • howdo, just bin readin about the scam emails an it sounded all too familiar. I've had emails from some1 wantin to buy my frame, we agreed on a very good price(twice what I was asking for it!) new it was too good to be true but like a fool I sent my name an address so they could send me a cheque. It arrived a week later for œ2500 MORE than the agreed price!! got in touch with cheque originator an was told it was invalid, dont cash it. Emailed the peep back sayin it was dodgy an they got a bit stroppy. they were addamant that i went to the bank to cash it, then forward the balance to there shipping firm (western union shipping), then it would be transfered to a Nigerian "accountant", my arse!! Dont be as dim as me an give them your name an address, tell them you dont axcept cheques an see if they still want your stuff!!
    Now my goat isn't tied to anything she's run away....
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64268&item=4525026585&rd=1
    not sure he went away but if he did he's back!
    any more dodgy and the link would be in burberry!

"come join me on my adventures across reality, we'll stop for lunch at the restraunt at the end of the universe"
    "come join me on my adventures across reality, we\'ll stop for lunch at the restraunt at the end of the universe"
  • I got a couple when i had my trailstar fram up syllabub.

The first guy (donwest54@yahoo.com) was barely literate!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hello,
    Am very sorry for the late in respones my computer got broken i have to fit it hope my appology has been accepted.I am happy and willing to have the DMR Trailstar Frame (2003) sold to me if you can consider it sold to me i will be compensating you with the sum of œ50 and have the advert remove from the site.
    Do get back to me with the available pics and your contact details such as (full name,Contact address the price and phone number) so that i can make payment to you ASAP along with the last price so that we can commence on the pickup.I will be expecting your respones soon.

Regards...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">HI,
    I LIVE IN SPAIN AND I WILL LIKE TO SHIP IT THERE ,I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COME VIEW THE ITEM RIGHT NOW BUT MY SHIPPING AGENT WILL COME FOR THAT AND BESIDES BUSINESS IS BASED ON TRUST SO I TRUST YOU, AM WELL PLEASED WITH THE ASKING PRICE. I WILL SEND YOU A CHEQUE, I WILL ASK MY SECRETARY TO ISSUE YOU THE PAYMENT AT ONES AND THE SHIPPING FEE WILL BE HANDLED BY ME, SO PLEASE I WILL NEED THE DETAILS BELOW TO SEND PAYMENT,
    1)FULL NAME............................
    2)FULL STREET ADDRESS...................
    3)CITY.................................
    4)STATE.................................
    5)COUNTRY...............................
    6)ZIPCODE..............................
    7)CONTACT PHONE NUMBER..................
    BEST REGARDS

It came from a jameswalter@dbzmail.com

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
    "You\'re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on."
  • dhrider
    ahh i readvertised my ac up syllabub on a few sites again today, sdh, descent world and the readers ad's and i have just got this...

Goodday Seller,
    I have a client who is intrested in your uesd bike and as he said he is ready to buy it..And He said he's ready to issue to you a POSTAL MONEY ORDER or USA OFFICAL CASHIER CHECK for the payment .He proceed that he's ready to pay œ600 for the item as offer .So any other excess on the check will be my COMMISSION and SHIPPING FROM YOUR DESTINATION.so when you receivedthe payment take it to your bank to clear into your account So you are to deduct your own money as offer and send the remain money to me.so get back with this informatiom:
    FULL NAME .............................
    FULL ADDRESS.................................
    PHONE NUMBER ......................
    so as you as i receive this informatiom i wil forward it to my client so that you can receive the check in the nick of time . And thanks for your understanding and stay bless.
    Get back to me asap.
    thanks
    kens tony

like does he really think im going to sell a brand new AC for œ600.... i think not!

Orange 223 driveside
    Orange 223 non driveside
    Lovely!!
    Base Hardtail
    Giant AC
    Lapierre Froggy 518
  • dhrider
    Hello,
    I want make an enquiry about your(2004GIANTAC)...........Kindly reply back now to know if the car still avaliable syllabub and with the present condition also if the pics is avaliable and the last price...Awaiting for your reply...... Regard.....
    Mary......

yet another one and since when was my bike a car???

Orange 223 driveside
    Orange 223 non driveside
    Lovely!!
    Base Hardtail
    Giant AC
    Lapierre Froggy 518
  • Mattie
    Mattie Posts: 6,680
    A bike that suddenly turns into a car? How peculiar!

<hr noshade size="1">"If It Moves And It Shouldn't Use Gaffertape If It Doesn't Move And It Should Use WD40"

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally Posted By Grant On MSN</i>
    cos 3 somes with sheep r crap, as the one who isnt getting the enjoyment as much as the other starts to kick<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Member #141

New Bike Fund = œ827.44
    Budget(as of April 1st) = œ1307.45
    "Most Likely To Die First" as voted for in the Forum Awards 2007
  • Ben
    Ben Posts: 5,534
    cole raymond tried to scam me too. most of these scammers seem to use an email server called "graffiti.net"so try and avoid them. i was selling a pair of forks on bikemagic for œ400 and they sent me a cheque for œ4000 telling me to post the rest to the USA for them. i think not. i sent them an email telling them i wanted cash and teat the inland revenue check my accounts monthly, and never heard from them again! surprising, no?
  • fodder
    fodder Posts: 668
    Mineralia Centre, 228 Visagie Street, Pretoria.
    Republic of South Africa.
    Dear,SIR
    INVESTMENT REQUEST.
    Greetings. It is indeed my pleasure to write to you this letter, which I
    believe
    will be a big surprise as we are both complete strangers, I work for the
    ministry of Minerals and Energy in South Africa and by this letter I am
    representing and also acting on behalf of my boss and two other senior
    colleagues (The Director-General and the Group General Manger) whose mandate
    I
    have got to contact a trusted and reliable foreign based businessman, concerning
    a business matter of mutual benefit to all.

By this mandate given to me, we are in dire need of a foreign partner to
    assist
    us in the transfer
    /investment of USD 24,000,000.00 (Twenty?Four million United States Dollars.)
    The key issues are the transfer and the subsequent investment of the said
    sum.
    We are ready to go into an agreement with you and also offer you a negotiable
    fee for the putting together an investment portfolio.

It does not matter whether or not you own a company or you invested funds
    before, we shall guide you on what to do. The bases is major companies execute
    contract from my ministry and they get paid lots of money from this ministry
    More often, big trading companies and firms of unrelated fields win contract
    and
    subcontracts to more specialised firms for execution.

We shall not bore you with much explanation , Details will be made available
    to
    you as soon as you reply.

You are to contact me only on this e-mail address(mc_newton@sify.com)
    specifically
    meant for this
    business.

Thank you and God Bless, as I wait for your urgent response.

Best Regards,
    Barr john Mark

<font color="green">Project: New Bike</font id="green">
    <font color="blue">Bought:
    Merlin Malt 1 freeride frame, FSA 330 bars,DMR V8s, Shimano LX crankset, Shimano LX BB,XT Cassette, XT Shifters, LX Brakes, LX Front Mech, XT Rear Mech, HG Chain</font id="blue">

[MSN alohaed91@hotmail.com
    [url=http://mm.dfilm.com/mm2s/mm_route.php?id=2039369
    ]A story of Pie[/url]
    I'm a Cool Rad Dood
  • Ben
    Ben Posts: 5,534
    Hello seller,
    This is perry ,i am highly interested in purchasing the spares , you have ( bike) so i want you to tell me the ;
    Last asking price.........
    Present condition
    Resent pics.......
    However i will like to tell you that my mode of
    payment is based on certified cashier check and i have
    a reputable shipping company that will be coming for
    the pick upafter the payment have been delievered to
    you.
    Thanks.......

boomshakalakalaka
  • oTs
    oTs Posts: 23
    Phising and Spoof email address's from ebay, paypal etc... easily avoided.
    If it sounds too good to be true, it is! if it involves money transfer, its a skam.
    check the following link for all the latest skams.

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/
  • Twilite
    Twilite Posts: 2,407

Dear leigh_herbert@hotmail.com,
    We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account
    from a different IP address.
    If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual log in
    attempts may have been initiated by you. However, if you did not initiate
    the log ins, please visit PayPal as soon as possible to check-up your
    account information:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run
    Changing your account is a security measure that will ensure that you are
    the only person with access to the account.
    Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.
    Sincerely,
    PayPal
    Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be
    answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the
    "Help" link in the header of any page.
    PayPal Email ID PP32461

The link then took me to a site that looked identical to paypal, but with a completely different URL. Take a look... http://www.jubileechurch.net/korean/bbs/log.htm (But don't log in obviously).

Very dodgy.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <font color="blue"><b>
    "<u>You could slit my throat,
    and with my one last gasping breath,
    I'd apologise for bleeding on your shirt</u>"</b>
    </font id="blue">
    </center>
    <div align="right"> Alternatively, <b>STFU</b>.</div id="right">

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <font color="red"><b>
    <font size="4">W[:(][V]DMAN</font id="size4"></b></font id="red"><font color="blue"><b>
    <b>pUncTUaT3d.4.y0uR.PL3asUre</b></font id="blue"></b>
    </center>
  • Flyte
    Flyte Posts: 35
    I allways get account verification e-mails from 'ebay'. Its obviously not, but they go along the lines of: Your ebay account will be suspended if you dont update your account details! It normally then has a form to fill out, asking for your credit card and pin number, address, the whole seebang. Bet they have caught out some dumb chavs with that one!
  • scouser
    scouser Posts: 554
    i will have to contact my client how stupid are the my client wtf so fake and its mostly "weston union money transfer"

Want cheap and very strong wheels building for only œ18? Speak to Dave (Danger Scouse) http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/? ... erid=19982
  • bobbo
    bobbo Posts: 353
    watch out for a tenny kelly

____________________________________________________________________________

still thinking of something to put here

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
    Its all about Les Gets 2007 and the new RB!!!
    Retrobates
    Pinkbike album
    Myspaz
  • mikeycts
    mikeycts Posts: 64
    Someone asked in an earlier post why they still bother posting these scams out - surely people know they are just that and ignore them? NOPE - not even close!

A while back I got one of these emails and using a few basic web skills (which I wont divulge) managed to view the list of people who had responded to it - amazingly about 70% of the entries appeared to be genuine Ebay logins (I tried a few to check) and some included credit card information.

I think most people are quite trusting with these sort of things - he says hes from Ebay so he must be. The only real cure is education - tell people you know about how to avoid these scams - and I dont just mean fellow mountain bikers but anyone who buys stuff online or over the phone - if everone knew how the scams worked then no body would be sucked in.....

Here is a link to the current antiscam lisitng on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MESE:IT