Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

It's weird how it only seems to become an issue for some people now whilst they all laughed when the Lib Dems were pushing for PR. I can't work out whether the greater likelihood of coalitions under PR is a good or bad thing. It would potentially get rid of the lunatic fringes but conversely is there a risk Governments would have to pander to them to get anything done e.g. would it be more like the 2010 coalition Government (generally quite good IMO) or that mess of an arrangement with the DUP under May?

• Pross

I applied for a voluntary role with a small charity a few weeks ago. It would use the skills I've acquired over a 35 year career in Civil Engineering albeit in a field my experience doesn't cover, no pay other than reasonable expenses. From my point of view, I'd be getting some experience in a field I would quite like to move into (I've previously applied for a role with the biggest charity in the sector and narrowly missed out) and in return they get someone with lots of experience in several crossover technical areas plus H&S, project / budget management etc. so it should be a win / win. Several weeks on I've had nothing in reply other than an initial email that my application has been passed to the relevant person. I'm struggling to see why they wouldn't have got in touch retty quickly as, at the risk of sounding big headed, I don't think they are likely to get anyone with more related experience for an unpaid role and it feels there is no risk on their part.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

I discovered, in my case, it was because of my lack of contribution towards diversity.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

Sprocket shifts were a bit sticky, thought it was fixed with indexing after fitting Vel wheel last week. No, that would be too easy, pretty sure cable has sheared by hoods for second time in ~7 years.

Four forks sake!

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

Yeah, my 105 cassette shifters go about once a year if I forget to replace them.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126

pretend druids, new-agers etc. making up fantasy rituals at stonehenge and claiming to know what the various builders were up to

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Ahistorical certainly - the earliest evidence of the real druids (not the 18th century fantasy) is about 3rd century BC, which is still roughly a thousand years after it's thought the henge fell out of use - but meeting up for a bit of a party at the solstice doesn't feel that far off the original function.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033

The timing is just incredible, I've had those carbons wheels sitting in their box for ~19 months because of long covid and the week I finally install them, the gear cable shears on the ST-RS505 brifters.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Missed the first half of the Slovenia - Ukraine match. turned it on at half time - the entire half was taken up with chat about Scotland.

Come on guys, talk about the actual game.

• Pross

The Vitality health app. I've recently taken out life insurance with them and the main attraction was their points for being active earning me rewards and a policy discount. However, the app is a POS - hardly any of my activities have synched over, I occasionally get my step count and the points for Parkrun get added but the link from Garmin is clearly not working properly. I've not used the app for much else but another annoyance is that if the screen locks or you switch apps it doesn't remember what you were doing so when I was trying to sort out manually requesting my points being added and had to provide screenshots from Garmin I ended up having to use the website instead.

• Pross

Meh, that's standard except it's usually England they want to chat about even when the match actually happening is another home nation.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

Getting an email from travel company. The subject was...

"Check out the latest travel inspo this week"

I've asked them if they were standing downwind of a fire at a crack factory when they wrote that, and that if they wished to write in future that they should use English.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Pross

The BBC are doing an outside broadcast from a campsite to talk about the ‘fantastic’ weather. It’s been rubbish for most of the year I know but the current weather is about average for the time of year at best.

• briantrumpet

Breaking off the locking tab from my camera's SD card... wouldn't mind if it hadn't broken off in the locked position, meaning I can't use it.

Still, on the cheering up side, a new 128Gb card is now only £11. Should give me more than enough storage for tourist tat photos.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Oh, hadn't realised it was purely a mechanical thing: prising the card open the actual memory bit is just next to the contacts, and the rest of the card is just empty plastic. So I cut out a bit from a small cable tie, sellotaped it into the gap where the missing tab should have been, and it's all working again. Guess I'll have a spare 128Gb SD card now...

• rjsterry

More storage capacity to complement your extended leisure time.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Yes, I'd stupidly thought that the tab did something within the card, rather than to the camera when inserted.

• Pross
    edited June 22

Sounds like it is the modern equivalent of putting tape over the holes after breaking the tabs on a cassette.

• rjsterry

I normally leave it until lunchtime but each to their own.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

F***ing autocorrect

• Pross

I’ve just had a message from someone in my choir ranting that Welsh Government are bringing in Covid passports from tomorrow and as a result she’ll have to give up choir as she won’t test or get vaccinated. She’s refusing to accept it is fake news.

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet

Pfft, she'd probably turn up late anyway with everywhere in Wales being subject to the 20mph speed limit.

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965

I have a friend who has real beef about the blanket speed limit in Wales. He doesn't live there and has no reason to go! I keep having to point out that it isn't over the entire of Wales, just in some places where it used to be 30. ye gods.

The older I get, the better I was.

• briantrumpet

C'mon, "some places where it used to be 30" IS "everywhere", surely? It's a bit like the crime statistics the Tories keep quoting that "crime is going down" [if you ignore certain crimes that are rising, such as fraud].

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

I drove over into Wales at the weekend and I can confirm it is really jarring when the M4 bridge changes from 70 to 20 halfway over the Severn.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono