Tour de Suisse 2024 ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533

Yates can't get more than a handful of seconds today. Bernal tried to jump over, Almeida closed the gap back to Bernal with Skjelmose on wheel, now Almeida is crossing to Yates with Skjelmose chasing and Bernal dropping

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Bernal not dropping, now collab with Skjelmose

• No_Ta_Doctor

Almeida dropping Yates in the last 250m to take the win

Skjelmose third, 9" down - will be pleased yesterday was just a jour sans and not more serious

Bernal 4th

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378

There was a lot of snow above 2000 m this last winter and a lot of late snow in April and into May. They have only just managed to clear snow from the roads on the Prato side of the Stelvio in the last week or so for example.

As you know, the routes are planned about 10 months in advance, and they clearly won't know the state of the passes until they start to be cleared in late April / early May. They will then also see the snowe layers and be able to assess the stability of the snow pack.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

UAE worked everyone else over

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

Almeida looks good. Doesn’t panic when someone attacks and finishes strongest.

• No_Ta_Doctor

Very strong. Yesterday he pulled all climb for Yates, fell back, rejoined the chasers, then dropped them to finish second

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770

I thought Pidcock might of done better today on a short sharp stage.

UAE are mad strong, eh?

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,454

I'll be racing over the Stelvio end of June from the Prato side and I'm a tad worried, with the weather being as trash as it has been for the last few weeks/months.

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor

The women's TdS kicked off today, with a shortened version of today's men's stage. They'll also ride the same TT tomorrow.

Here's what their profiles look like, some interesting stages but sort of feels back to front as a stage race

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Demi Vollering completely Volleringed the first stage, 22" in front of Gaia Realini and 46" from Elise Chabbey

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951
    edited June 15

Was that Almedia giving Yates "The look"?

More likely, a c'mon, where are you?

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Didn't see that, but Yates lead him all the last couple of km. so I doubt it.

Crossed the line together with Yates taking the win, they continue their squeeze on the race with just tomorrow's tt to come

No real changes behind them, except for Mas dropping 20" or so and losing a place in GC to Riccitello, who also won 2" on Skjelmose - they're both racing for the white jersey & 4th place - unless they can take a minute out of Bernal in the TT

• pblakeney

Happened just when Almedia went clear in front and Yates was behind the other two instead of being on his wheel.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Mark Cavendish fastest at first timecheck.

Yeah, only a handful of riders have been through it

• mididoctors
    edited June 16

Adam is fading a bit and almeida is getting stronger is the sense of this race I get .. TT will settle it

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Well he's faster than Almeida at the 2nd check

Skjelmose was the fastest there, Almeida 3rd I think

• No_Ta_Doctor

Skjelmose fastest by 17" at the finish so far

• No_Ta_Doctor

Another UAE 1-2: Almeida, Yates this time - Yates takes GC

Skjelmose took just over a minute out of Bernal to finish third on the stage and grab the GC podium

• red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,186

Good showing from Pidcock. 5 place at 50s and 40s faster than Bernal

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    edited June 16

I'd say plucky rather than good. He's still a long way from where he needs to be if he wants to be a genuine GC contender for Ineos (& I say that as a fan).

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • pblakeney

I'm currently watching Tour de France Unchained on Netflix from last years TdF. Tom doesn't come over as a team player. Awkward in a team sport, more so if you want to be team leader. I suppose it works if you win, huge if.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158

Was Yates faster or Almeida slower than expected in the TT?

CK definitely told me that Almeida would win the GC, but I thought Yates was a decent uphill TTer.

• m.r.m.

I think Yates managed the gap and did enough to win GC without having to bury himself like how Almeida did.

• mididoctors

Yeah...I reckon you're correct ... Though Yates looks like smooth not matter his hard he is going

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

He said afterwards that he knew Almeida would accelerate over the closing kilometres and he was right on the limit so couldn't do the same. Which sounds like he buried himself to me.

You don't come second in a mountain TT without going very, very deep.

• m.r.m.

I guess he just has an extremely good poker face then. His facial expression seemed so controlled.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659

We know Chasey's opinions on podium kids, how do we feel about podium dogs..?

https://x.com/robynjournalist/status/1803172224326570094?t=tNqVuau8XDVkAlr4fBG2eA&s=09

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

I am trying to catch up with the race and am on stage 2.

Mercifully, I have reached the point of the stage when some kind soul pulled the Eurosport fire alarm and therefore the plug on Kirby.

A full 50 minutes of nothing but the startlist possibles being regurgitated on repeat. I was just about to give up and switch off.

To think we have 21 days of hours of exactly the same generic garbage to look forward to is really quite depressing.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with catching up with this, there's very little GC excitement, just a bit of TdF form projection. Check out the stage and GC results and go and do something productive with your time