Where to buy replacement parts online?

After an 8 year lay off from using my MTB I'm trying to source replacement parts online, specifically brakes. I owned a 2007 Kona Dawg primo with Hayes HFX 9 brakes, they were good in their day but since have become a real nuisance due to age & wear. I'm looking for alternatives to replace both back & front - probably Shimano. My 'go to' was Chainreaction but as you will know changed hands and then folded, could anybody recommend a reliable dealer? Online or otherwise? Most places aren't interested and just want to sell me a new bike which I can't afford or justify! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited April 18

Evans, wiggle and crc are all now regrettably owned by mike (sports direct) ashley, so personally I would avoid them like the plague.

Other quality online retailers imho - are:

Merlin

Sigma Sports

Balfe's bikes

Tredz (Owned by Halfords)

Ribble (But not sure they sell the same range of parts as they used to, think they are more a Canyon/Rose type site now)

Also worth a look are:

Tweeks Cycles

Winstanleys

Bit thin on the ground now for decent online retailers in the uk really.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 145

Swinnertons are worth looking at, I've had some good deals from them.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Thanks guys that's appreciated.

As you say Daniel online retailers dealing in bike parts within the UK are very thin on the ground. Due to being 'out of the biking loop' for a few years it came as a big & unpleasant surprise when I started searching.

I'll definitely check out the areas you've both highlighted! 👍️

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 688

What's the situation with bike discount.de?

I used to buy loads of bike stuff from there before I stopped and bought loads of kids stuff instead, but I've read varying stuff since Brexit.

================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • oxoman
    oxoman Posts: 145

Still going but they don't always send what you ordered and not UK based.

Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/ sometimes have some good stuff, depending what you're after

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • daniel_b
    edited April 19

I shopped with them loads, power meter, wheels too, plus some clothing, had assumed they were no longer trading with the uk.

Most have ceased, or have a maximum spend of £135.

Alpinetrek are worth a look, and the oddly named lordgunbicycles are excellent too, both have no additional fees to pay, think they must have registered here for VAT or something.

Used to use Mantel too, but not in recent times.

Spa are fantastic - maybe the more niche end of the market, unusual tyres, parts only they stock, a lot of touring stuff I think that might be fair to say?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704

I've had good experiences with BikeInn: https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en

They're based in Spain so shipping takes longer than UK based shops but often very good prices. I've not had to send anything back, obviously that could be a pain.

• daniel_b

I have used them in the past, and have had to send stuff back, which even back then was brutally expensive with adequate insurance, depending on the value of what you have ordered of course.

I've seen bad reviews of them, but never had any issues myself - and of course now, I suspect you would be hit for import duties and admin charges on top, in my experience, you can add 30% onto the final price to give you a fair estimate.

I ordered plenty from abroad when Paypal offered there 'returns on us' thing, which they sadly for me, but happily for my wallet, stopped at the end of 2022 I think it was.

When you signed up for it, and payed for an item using paypal, you could then reclaim the cost of up to 12 returns in a calendar year, up to the value of £15 or 15 Euros per return, and it was pretty damned easy as well.

I used to easily hit ~10 returns per year, must have saved me around £100 per year.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221

I've had terrible problems with BikeInn, only actually got one of the three orders I have made with them. Things they say are in stock take about 2 weeks to tell you they actually aren't in stock, despite showing them as dispatched. Then a refund takes a week to arrive, so all you really do is provide them with a nice interest free loan for a few weeks.

Stick with Merlin, Sigma, Biketart, Winstanleys, SJS, tredz etc

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704

Sounds like I've got lucky with BikeInn then, I'll reconsider using them in the future.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367

I find SJS are very good, particularly for small parts or things you can't get elsewhere.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164

+1, great for random small parts like an actual LBS.

JE James also used to be OK, but haven't bought anythign off them for ages.

Uberbike, Superstar, Discobrakes etc. are OK for brake pads, grips, chainrings. Just compare who has the best deals/discount codes/stock at the time.

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221

I guess YMMV - it may just be bad luck on my part, although I am 1 for 3 with them. Their google reviews have a lot of similar stories though. I'm not prepared to risk it again myself.

• Guys, many thanks for adding to this thread. You've highlighted some interesting points and brought me up to speed on the current situation, it's appreciated! 🍻