Bikes in the cargo hold to Austria

dkcrooby
dkcrooby Posts: 8

I have never ridden abroad, and now my mate and I have booked Austria for September.

We both ride enduro style full sus, and figured the most economical way of bringing our bikes with us is in bike boxes, fully protected with stuffing/clothes etc.

Anyone else done this?

What is your experience?

Thanks,

Craig

Comments

• Done on internal flights in NZ, no real problem, got free boxes from bike shop.

Bike boxes are quite variable in size, so you will have to check your bike fits in. Also they can be quite heavy (4-6kg) so you might have to watch total package weight.

Packed by removing front wheel, packed down the side of the bike with bubble wrap, remove seat post, pedals and pack in bottom of box. Unbolt handlebars and turn sideways to pack. If through axles, leave the axle in front forks to prevent any bending.

Other issue is getting to the airport - need a vehicle big enough to carry bike in box or take bike and flat pack box and pack at airport, same for return from Austria!

• dkcrooby
    dkcrooby Posts: 8

Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to source bike boxes that are only 2kg each. Initially was looking at bike bags but they would have taken the weight far over allowance.

Thanks for the packing tips.

I have already checked that both boxes will fit in my car, and they do, I have an Estate (Station Wagon). On your advice, I have checked with the transfer service too. They have no problem with the sizes - pretty sure they transport bike boxes all summer.

• Sounds doable then! Just remembered I also unscrewed the RD and cable tied it a bit out of the way in case of being knocked in transit.

• Akers
    Akers Posts: 1

Hi I've travelled many times with my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX di2. I used AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG check it out it's an amazing bike box it's soft box wit a metal frame. Check it out at sciconsports.com .

I ve had mine for a couple of weeks but may be selling it as i have now back injuries so will not be able to cycle anymore, so selling everything .

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 352
    edited April 27

I have travelled by airplane, carrying my bicycle, a number of times. Bicycle was in a soft bag.

But every time it was complicated. I was relying on public transport and altogether conditions were never optimum.

How do you travel to and from the airport at each end?

Public transport or car rental?

These days I'm back to the train, I live in town north of Germany and sometimes I go to town Alps so train is very good.