Weather rant!

Can't remember a worse start to the year than is year 2024 in Nottingham. Been nothing but high winds and rain for months! I was hoping for a change when evenings became lighter but only managed two decent evenings where it wasn't raining or windy so far and we are in mid April already.

Looking forward to better times [hopefully].

Comments

• I have been riding on the roads for over 20 years, our weather patterns have changed noticeably in that period, but over the last 5 years it has really deteriorated significantly (we all now what is causing it!).

It is now wind 12 months of the year, and pretty much strong winds for all but the summer months (even 10 years ago, you never got much more than light winds in autumn/winter and summer you could almost guarantee still weather).

The heavy rains and flooding are very much a newer development, this seems to have really taken hold in the last 2 or 3 years.

I would also say year round it is much milder, but as a result, spring and summer is generally cooler. I used to be in bibshorts and SS jerseys by end of march, and back into autumn gear by September. I now find the summer gear doesn't come out until April/May, but I am generally still in shorts until late October.

Sadly, I suspect this is the dominant pattern now and will just worsen. You either get on with it and ride through the crap weather, or stick to the turbo.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,850

So far this year, the weather highlights seem to have been the last three Saturdays in Southampton and Hampshire... At least I managed to get out on the bike, albeit a very slow pace, for two of them.

Most of March was very wet and quite windy, as was most of autumn '23 and winter, don't think I even did a handful of rides outdoors from first week of October until late March and was completely reliant of the turbo.

Back to blustery and odd rain shower today, with a temp drop from feels like 17C down to around feels like 8C!

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,843
    edited April 15

...Does a quick check. I've ridden outdoors 4 times since November 19th, and I'm retired. Shocking!

Reasons? Frost, wind, rain or any combination of the three.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,329

Had two rides in the last fortnight and they were memorable for the fact that they were the first rides in months that hadn't made me clean my good bike afterwards.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,843
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,564

I just got caught in a hailstorm, was pretty dramatic

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,353

I've only been riding because it's the quickest way to get about since November. That was my last ride that was just for the sake of it 🙄

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,163

I've found the rapidly changing weather resulting in poor forecasts more of a problem than the actual weather:

The forecast today around here was heavy rain and strong winds all day so I didn't cycle. It was damp first thing but since 8:30 it's been sunny with just the odd spots of rain.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,659

El nino.

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

yes, probably El Nino, in 2020-2022 we had three lovely April months… it’s only been the last 12 months that things have gone really soggy…

windy too, I have pretty much given up on trying to improve my TT PBs, as the conditions are never right.

left the forum March 2023