handle-bar mounted camera

does anyone have any recommendations for a handle-bar mounted camera to record road cycling? After some near misses, I'd like to record my rides and be able to send recordings of poor driving to the police.

I'd prefer a handle-bar mount over a helmet one

Thanks

Simon

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439

I used to use a gopro session under my bars, which was pretty good. Depends on how long you need to record for and your budget. Cycliq lights are good but more expensive, if your commute is short any action camera from amazon will do the job, but the batteries didn't last long enough for me

Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164

Is the GoPro any good when you're riding towards low sun?

I remember an incident a few years ago where someone cut me up then slammed on (to park) but I rode around. You couldn't make out the reg due to the low sun messing up the exposure, so the police said there was nothing they could do.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    edited February 5

Just to note, Thames Valley have now stated that for recordings to be considered/used, there needs to be some part of the bike in shot, ie handlebars presumably.

Other forces could follow presumably.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164

Cheshire Constabulary told me the same several years ago. Despite the knock from being clipped being visible and audible on camera.

It's quite difficult (but not impossible) to achieve that with the camera I have at the moment when it's mounted on the handlebars.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,460

I've one of those ChilliTech ones you see advertised on FB etc. They seem decent enough. The newer one has better battery life (4-5 hours) but IMO a slightly worse image. You can still read number plates etc OK. Also newer ones connect to phone for instant download which is handy. Cost about £60-ish?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Danyradar
    Danyradar Posts: 11

Thanks for the insight on the ChilliTech camera, @photonic69. It’s great to hear that the battery life is improved on the newer model, and the connectivity feature for instant download sounds super convenient. The price point seems reasonable too. I’ll definitely consider it for my handle-bar setup.