Removing rear hub from Boardman 8.6 MTR

Hi guys,

Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I believe I've got a problem with my rear hub as the pedals now spin freely. I believe this is because pawls on the freehub have got stuck. I'm trying to remove the freehub body from the bike so I can clean it. Problem is I can't get it off, I've removed the quick release axle and the bearings from the hub. As I understand I need to use a hex wrench to remove the freehub body. However what I have is either too large or too small.

Has anyone got any idea what I'm likely to need, the bike is a Boardman 8.6 MTR full suspension bike, the rear hub uses a quick release axle and not a thru-axel. Full specs are here:
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2358-mtr-8.6-2021.html

Thanks

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2023

Hi guys,

Hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction. I believe I've got a problem with my rear hub as the pedals now spin freely. I believe this is because pawls on the freehub have got stuck. I'm trying to remove the freehub body from the bike so I can clean it. Problem is I can't get it off, I've removed the quick release axle and the bearings from the hub. As I understand I need to use a hex wrench to remove the freehub body. However what I have is either too large or too small.

Has anyone got any idea what I'm likely to need, the bike is a Boardman 8.6 MTR full suspension bike, the rear hub uses a quick release axle and not a thru-axel. Full specs are here:
    https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2358-mtr-8.6-2021.html

Thanks

I've heard of various sizes of hex key's required ranging from 10 to maybe 15mm.

The last time I did this it turned out to be 12mm.

Try using two hex keys side by side, it'll be tight but you might be able to undo it, if not at least you'll know what size you need.
  • I have 10mm and 15mm, former is too small and the latter is too big. Can I ask what you used 12mm on, was it a mountain bike?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    I vaguely recall using an 11mm on a mate's Boardman MTB, try an 5 & 6mm together to gauge the size, sometimes you can undo them that way.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2023
  • I vaguely recall using an 11mm on a mate's Boardman MTB, try an 5 & 6mm together to gauge the size, sometimes you can undo them that way.

I had no idea what you meant at first but just googled it, I will give it a try as I think I have 5 and 6.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 419
    edited March 15

The freehub is done ,it's a sealed one .When I tried to get one at Halfords it was impossible to get

And i believe its an 11mm you need ,youll often get a free one when you buy these types of freehub .And you'll need a minimum of a 2ft breaker bar to get it off, bigger the better