Waterproof Jacket

All

I know this question has been asked many times on here but there's a steady stream of new and ever more expensive options coming to the fore and so I could do with some up to date advice

I'm looking for a waterproof jacket - not "water resistant" or "shower proof", something that will keep me dry if its pissing down with rain all day out on the bike (whilst hopefully not doing the "boil in the bag" thing)

Just looking for a few recommendations from people with real user experience - realistically looking at under £150

Thanks

Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

Reset your budget Or your thinking.

very rarely does it rain all day. Even in the UK which means a jacket which can fit in a jersey pocket unless you’re carrying frame bags but even then space is a consideration.

breathability, longevity and fit are other considerations. Goretex paclite has always been a great option when considering these aspects. That said I upgraded to a shakedry jacket which is a jaw droppingly capable jacket. The previous jacket was 10 years old and made from paclite.

plenty of online sales as companies won’t want to carry winter stock into spring/ summer

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Unless things have moved on considerably, the Castelli Idro and other brand variants (Gore shakedry etc.) is the only truly waterproof jacket on the market. The shakedry material has recently stopped being used and Castelli have released an alternative but you're still looking at spending a fair chunk of change on one.

• As above, Shakedry is the only actual fully waterproof material available but it is eye wateringly expensive and now obsolete.

Either buy something not fully waterproof and accept its limitations or perhaps see if a second hand gore shakedry or idro is available somewhere. I have two gore sd and they are well worth the money, but in truth the number of days in the year where I really need them i.e. ceaseless rain all day, is fairly small.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,446

If it doesn’t have to be race fit, bit of an all day in the rain bike packing option, I use a Patagonia calcite jacket, completely waterproof, helmet compatible hood, underarm zips to dump heat. As I’ve mentioned before you might over heat if really pushing it but I don’t do that it the rain anyway. Tough enough to wear a rucksack with unlike shakedry. Not cheap but picked up a new one of eBay half price. Quite fun to ride in the rain in a waterproof cocoon.

Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

you can still buy shakedry but once they’re gone, they’re gone as gore won’t be making anymore.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 418

Apparently they can no longer make Gortex as it was due to the process having a detrimental effect on the environment. For what I’ve read in the mountaineering press the new stuff will require frequent washing and re proofing so the jacket doesn’t wet out. I.e. the out layer absorbs the water rather than it running off.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394

Thanks for all of the above - really appreciated.

According to Cycling News, this ranked second in "best waterproof jackets" (behind the Albion All Road Pertex Shield):

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-core-rain-jacket-ii/product/CRR03XXBLKLRG

Does anyone have any comment or experience on this Rapha one?

Wilier Izoard XP
  • I have found on wet days the best option is a good softshell. I have a Gore Windstopper jacket which I have ridden in the winter when it has rained all day and stayed comfortable and didn't feel wet although it is not supposed to be waterproof. Everybody I ride with uses hardshells, and several have shakedry jackets, I am always the driest when we get back to the pub at the end of a wet ride.

For emergency use when I get caught out in showers I have a very breathable vented lightweight jacket. It is waterproof enough to keep the wet out for 15 minutes so it is no good for properly wet days.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,869

I have the older V1 non-Core version. It works well as a rain jacket but is a bit boil in the bag. I do see the version above has vents so they may have resolved this.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • How did you find the waterproofing on the Rapha @pblakeney ? I had a rapha rain jacket and the race cape and neither were good. The dwr coating washed out after 3 or 4 washes. I used nikwax but never got them even close to being waterproof again, hence the switch to gore shakedry.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,869

Pretty good actually but I have learned to only wash when absolutely necessary to mitigate this and used the Nikwax wash and spray on coating. The wash-in coating does not work in my experience.

Then again I use it as a wind/shower jacket. I'd get a Shakedry if I was commuting again. Buy cheap, buy twice. 😉

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Unfortunately, I think the Nikwax/Grangers wash-in needs to be used with the spray on. I don't make a habit of washing goretex clothing after every ride - maybe every 3-4 depending on the conditions and how hard I've been working. Using normal detergents will clog the DWR material and stop it from working as it should. That being said, you can probably get away with washing without spraying for a couple of washes.

I also use an air drying pod after applying the spray, rather than putting things on the radiator. Hair dryer can also have the desired effect.

Shakedry garments are worth every penny imo. They're a bit of a gamechanger when it comes to windstopping and taking the chill off.

• Webboo2

From what I understand which could well be wrong is that if your goretex gets dirty it loses its breathable nature. So other than shakedry jackets you are either going get jacket wetting out or not breathing very well.

• MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,390
    edited February 2

Interesting, sounds as though the Nikwax spray is the way to go, rather than the wash in. I have two Albion jackets which are water repellent. I don't wear them as rain jackets, but will try the spray on in future when the DWR treatment wears off.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608

I can only echo the shakedry comments.

If there are still some available, either new or 2nd hand, I'd be inclined to go that route, and indeed have done for a couple of backup options :-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394

Looks like this is what I'll be doing . . . thanks to everyone for the input

Wilier Izoard XP
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,608

There are a few makes out there, some rarer than others.

Off the top of my head, Gore, Rapha, Mavic, 7mesh Oro, Castelli Idro Pro, 2 & 3.

I bought a Castelli Idro pro 3 in medium, the smallest size they had, but had to send it back as it was very spacious.

The Gore is quite roomy, the 7mesh the closest fitting of them all, and then Rapha and Castelli are somewhere in the middle.

There's precious little give in these due to the material.

Do report back with what you manage to land :-)

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Webboo2

The original Shakedry are a bit of racing fit I think I bought a medium which just fastened as long I didn’t breath. I kept it thinking I might slim my self down to a racing snake. I ended selling it on for more or less what I paid for it, I bought in a sale.

I then bought a large from Evans ( in store) again in sale which I could try on. It’s roomy over a summer top but in my Michelin man winter guise it’s a bit tight.