Shimano Ultegra vs Prime Primavera

Hiya all, another wheels thread - it's sale time, and the soon-to-die Wiggle is offering its Primavera wheels at £675, whereas Sigma has the Ultegra 8170 at £799. I know that there's varying opinions on the Primes, plus there's the whole future of Wiggle to consider, but the reviews are good and they're £125 cheaper; the Shimano's are the 'safe' choice, and build quality is likely to be better.

Any thoughts on which to go for? I'm really torn. Or I could get some handbuilts using Venn rims...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Not on the wheels as I have no experience of either set, but with regards Wiggle I would personally avoid any high value purchases at present. At least until the future of the company is resolved.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485

Use your credit card if your choose prime. The card provider is also the guarantor in law on any purchase over £100 and under £30k.

Of course it may not be a timely or straightforward claim.

I have prime carbon bars, they have been faultless and I wouldn’t have a problem purchasing any prime product.

Except I wouldn’t purchase from wiggle until/if they come out of administration.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Crazy how I've still got a pair of https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Vel/50-RL-Carbon-Tubeless-Disc-Wheelset/QS28 still yet to be fully setup for their first ride ~14 months on from buying them in their Black Friday sale... Rotors fitted; valve extensions on the Vittoria latex tubes; but yet to fit tubes; tyres and cassette!

Hopefully '24 will be a better year for me, my lack of power (speed) and stamina in '23 through long covid fatigue made the idea of riding them feel a waste, ironically for most of '22 they could have made a chunk of difference.

Personally, I'd be wary of buying Prime wheelsets given Chiggle's financial position, but then it's possible to grab bargain wheels that could last a handful or more seasons.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099

Mmmmm...thanks all, quite right about spending big money on a company that's in real bother. I mean, they owe £21k for Haribo...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155

I don't know about buying a set of wheels but some of Wiggles sale prices have been amazing recently and I've made a number of small orders since they've been in administration. Things like Aeron Lab jerseys for £10, speed/cadence sensors for £10, Garmin mounts for £5 etc, and my personal favourite a Castelli Perfetto Light for £27. Stuff you don't really need but is so cheap you take a punt.

Each order has come in a max of 2 days despite not paying for fast delivery and all top notch stuff. Would miss Wiggle hugely if they went. Not that I think they will - they've made a lot of money from their sales since in administration and lots of buyers are interested.

Issue is clearly warranty and parts, but if you buy using a credit card, you should have some protection, and you should be able to get parts for the hubs as ultimately they are Novatech anyway.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,335

Yeah similarly I've spent about £100 on various sale bits and they've all come with no issue. Some folks in the bargain thread also bought a couple of wheelsets I think.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono