Rear wheel bearings corrosion

Carnmore
Carnmore Posts: 23
edited October 2023 in Commuting general
I had a new back wheel supplied and fitted about a year ago and it started making a clacking noise recently.

Quando hub (with cup and cone bearings-I think).
Beretta rim and spokes.

Took it back to the same bike shop and they said the bearings had rusted so they replaced and greased them.

I’ve never carried out any maintenance on bearings before and haven’t had any issues until this now.

I don’t use a pressure washer on the bike or ride in constantly wet conditions.

I thought the bike shop (same one that supplied and fitted) would have carried out the repair under warranty as the bearings should have lasted much longer than they did and obviously the hub was faulty.

However, they’re trying to charge £35 for the repair (wheel cost £85).

I think they should cover the repair and even it was older and/or wear and tear it’s not worth repairing at that cost/replacement ratio.

Would appreciate some advice on this.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    They're a consumable and they have no idea how you've looked after the bike. If it was a matter of weeks you might have some comeback, not now.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,671
    Did you buy the wheel off them in the first place?

If no, then your query is to the wrong people. But most of that £35 will be labour....

If yes, then since it's past 6m from purchase, burden on you is to show that the fault is not down to the conditions of use.

For £35, you are going to need to be pragmatic. If you have done 10k miles through a winter, 1-2 years out of bearings is not unreasonable, and £85 is at the budget end of things.

I'd chalk it down to experience and learn to do a bit of preventative maintenance.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,155
    +1 to the preventative maintenance. Had the same issue you had with a new wheel once after similar timeframes (and the wheel was considerably more than £85). Now when I get a new set of wheels I pop off the end caps and grease the hell out of the bearings so no water can get in (they are never that well greased from the factory).
    Hasn't happened since.
  • Did you buy the wheel off them in the first place?

If no, then your query is to the wrong people. But most of that £35 will be labour....

If yes, then since it's past 6m from purchase, burden on you is to show that the fault is not down to the conditions of use.

For £35, you are going to need to be pragmatic. If you have done 10k miles through a winter, 1-2 years out of bearings is not unreasonable, and £85 is at the budget end of things.

I'd chalk it down to experience and learn to do a bit of preventative maintenance.

Yes, same shop and labour is £30.
  • Thanks for the replies.
    Can anyone give advice on greasing bearings (Quando hub with cup and cone bearings (I think) and/or suggest a video tutorial.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,671
    https://youtu.be/PViSlroA1wc?si=7gwDxnRI1OuVpVEv

Looks like the same hub.

From painful experience, the best tip I can give you is work somewhere you can catch all the bearings.