Best sealants of 2023? Which sealant to get? Muc off vs milKit vs Oko

DELETE
DELETE Posts: 6
edited September 2023 in MTB buying advice
Do anyone of you have experience with these sealants?
These are currently the cheapest options I can get in Norway.
I see Cycling Weekly did a stab test and Muc Off managed to seal 6mm.
But I've not seen any test like this for Oko and milkit
https://youtu.be/s4FHCg72dXQ?si=7B4hAY2HASLQT94g

This one is from BIkeRadar but it's a old video:
https://youtu.be/G2OqwuhNGfg?si=icP1h_HwrUgkGNUt
Caffey Latex is the cheapest sealant I can get in Norway right now. But I was concerned after watching a vid by a guy claiming it did not seal a 1mm hole on a road tyre. But after watching this review/test I see it takes a few rotations to seal but that was with a bigger hole. But probably not the best option for me.

I wish there were more tests like this, there needs to be tests with the current contenders.

Comments

• I use Continental Revo sealant. I bought it initially because I had Continental tyres, but I continued using it on other brands, like WTB and Maxxis. It works just fine on them all.

The only time I have ever had a puncture that led to a flat was when the tyres were defective and the sidewall tore at the bead. I say "tyres" because the replacement also failed after the same mileage as the first tyre, in the exact same place on the tyre. In each case I could get four fingers side by side through the tear. Nothing would seal that!

Make sure that you give the bottle a really good shake to distribute all the particles throughout the sealant as they normally cluster into a gel at the bottom of the bottle during storage.

I have never been able to add this sealant to the tyre via the Presta valve (with the core removed) as it blocks the hole. It only goes in if you don't shake the bottle! But then it doesn't work!

Like all latex-based sealants, it goes off after 6 months or so. For me, this is evidenced by my tyres slowly losing pressure over a week by a few psi. This is not an issue for me because I check my tyre pressures before every ride. When the loss gets too bad, I renew the sealant.

Continental is a German brand, so you should be able to get it Norway.

• I use Continental Revo sealant. I bought it initially because I had Continental tyres, but I continued using it on other brands, like WTB and Maxxis. It works just fine on them all.

The only time I have ever had a puncture that led to a flat was when the tyres were defective and the sidewall tore at the bead. I say "tyres" because the replacement also failed after the same mileage as the first tyre, in the exact same place on the tyre. In each case I could get four fingers side by side through the tear. Nothing would seal that!

Make sure that you give the bottle a really good shake to distribute all the particles throughout the sealant as they normally cluster into a gel at the bottom of the bottle during storage.

I have never been able to add this sealant to the tyre via the Presta valve (with the core removed) as it blocks the hole. It only goes in if you don't shake the bottle! But then it doesn't work!

Like all latex-based sealants, it goes off after 6 months or so. For me, this is evidenced by my tyres slowly losing pressure over a week by a few psi. This is not an issue for me because I check my tyre pressures before every ride. When the loss gets too bad, I renew the sealant.

Continental is a German brand, so you should be able to get it Norway.

I only find it in 60ml now. And for a 60ml that's overpriced when I can get 1L for trice the price.
  • I'm always a bit dubious of those tests as, for ease of experimentation they do it straight away. I wonder if the performance rankings would be the same after 4 months?

I used Caffe Latex effectively for a long time on my gravel bike, I've now switched to Peatys but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I still got one puncture I had to plug but...maybe that would have happened anyway.
  • I'm always a bit dubious of those tests as, for ease of experimentation they do it straight away. I wonder if the performance rankings would be the same after 4 months?

I used Caffe Latex effectively for a long time on my gravel bike, I've now switched to Peatys but I haven't noticed much of a difference. I still got one puncture I had to plug but...maybe that would have happened anyway.

yes, test are still valid, but I too would like to see long term review, and stab test, sub zero stab test.
  • If cheapness is your main criterion, why not go back to basics? Early sealants were made from milk and glitter!
  • If cheapness is your main criterion, why not go back to basics? Early sealants were made from milk and glitter!

cheapness is not my criteria, it's the performance of the sealant. But if something is much cheaper but works as good I go for that.