Lightweigh Folding Tyre for Emergency

Hi folks

Out this morning for a nice 35 miler and 1 mile from home a big rip in my Grand Prix 5000 S. Too big for the usual inner tube "repair" approach so ended up having to get home & fit winter wheel.

It got me thinking though - are there any lightweight foldable tyres that would fit into a camelbak or similar in case of the same again ?

Has anybody tried this ?

Comments

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    Would one or a couple of those 'tyre boot' sticker things (Park do 'em) have worked? They are pretty small to carry to cover for a relatively unlikely event. I've used them for tears up to maybe 15mm and they have got me home. I ride with a chap who carries a section of an old tyre to use as a 'boot' which is another solution.

I've never carried a spare tyre myself, although I could see myself doing it for a long multi-day trip perhaps.

Grand prix TT or GP 5000 are among the lightest already, so if you do pursue this then one of them?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,938
    edward.s said:

Would one or a couple of those 'tyre boot' sticker things (Park do 'em) have worked? They are pretty small to carry to cover for a relatively unlikely event. I've used them for tears up to maybe 15mm and they have got me home. I ride with a chap who carries a section of an old tyre to use as a 'boot' which is another solution.

That's what I do.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,079
    Just cut the beads off first
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,938

Just cut the beads off first

Yeah, should have mentioned that.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.