2009 Boardman Pro FS - Crank

Hi all,

I am not very knowledgeable on the whole MTB thing but you guys helped me buy my current bike with your collective advise and I would just like some more advise from here please?

I have the above bike and it is factory standard, it's been very reliable since purchased new. You could say I had my moneys worth.

My enquiry is two-fold. Firstly the crank is grinding under pressure uphill. It is time for a new one. However I have never really needed the easier gears. Partially because I have never gone up truly demanding hills and being close on 50 and overweight I doubt I will start now.

Because I need to replace the crankset, I wonder is there an alternative and at the same time, should I change the rear casette to gear it higher?
(if higher is the correct term)
My research seemed to show I was very limited to the existing crank-set.

Generally I ride uphill on roads or light trails and come downhill over the moors and canal pathways.
Regularly downhill on faster stretches, I need more gears to push faster downhill, I cannot pedal fast enough with the current gearing.

So, basically I want rid of the easiest gears and I want additional harder gears

As a side note, I have seriously been considering a second hand S-Works from e-Bay for £2-4k because lets face it, I really have had my monies worth from the Boardman and I wonder if spending anything on it now is worthwhile or should I just blow a small chunk?

Then theres the whole e-bike conundrum.... jeez, I have confused myself with options.

What would you guys recommend please?

2009 Boardman Pro FS

Comments