Selling stuff

Any of you guys seeing that the market for good condition used bike parts has dried up?

Got a bike and a few bits up for sale in the usual places all at fair prices and not a sniff for weeks/months.

Comments

• Haven't sold much in the last year but it doesn't surprise me. I would guess a lot more people are cutting back and the average cyclist is probably running components to their limit (in terms of wear) before they consider replacing.

I am no longer stocking loads of spares, just replacing chains/cassettes/tires etc as and when I really need to.

There might also be an element that as supply issues have eased a touch, that less people are buying used components, if they are now able to source brand new.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Or you just need to lower your expectations and starting bid? I usually start auctions very low and that gets the ball rolling - and I never use Buy It Now.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 330

Or you just need to lower your expectations and starting bid? I usually start auctions very low and that gets the ball rolling - and I never use Buy It Now.

Interesting.
    I (almost) only use Buy It Now, set a fairly high, and in steps over time lower the asking price, until it eventually sells. I have more fun this way.
    Ironically it happened that although I started it at a "high" price the item got sold immediately, wish I started higher but that was it.

• plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 136
    Just sold a groupset and two wheelsets on ebay quite quickly and easily to be fair.
    All Buy it Now and had to post. Probably didn't price these as bravely as I may have done a year ago, but sold in a week.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    Unless the deadline is very soon I’ll happily pay a few quid extra for buy it now rather than wait for a bargain or get sucked into a bidding contest.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    How much more do ebay charge for a buy it now?
    I've always shied away from them as assumed the fee was a lot higher, but maybe something I should look at.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    daniel_b said:

How much more do ebay charge for a buy it now?
    I've always shied away from them as assumed the fee was a lot higher, but maybe something I should look at.

It's free - Fees are detailed here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 112
    I don't use it much. But I always find PayPal shaft you!
  • plymouthsteve
    plymouthsteve Posts: 136
    I always wait for the 80% off selling fees offers that they tend to send every month or so. Lately the PayPal fees have been included so it hasn't worked out too badly at all. From memory, a £350 wheel set paid me about £340 net.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Thanks for that @whyamihere . They certainly used to charge extra for BIN on listings. I just use the 'Offers' settings to set the limit I will accept (which might be higher than the start price), so it works like BIN in that it will end the auction at that point instead of letting it run on for however many days as an auction style.
    Offers often have a start lower than the listing so as a buyer I'll often go in below the start.
    Waiting for the 80% off is good and they usually come around every two weeks for me.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I just bought a brand new in-the-box 80s-era Suntour Winner Pro freewheel and didn't pay any fees from E-bay, taxes, shipping, yes, E-bay fees no; nor did I use Paypal, I don't even have an account with them!

What's amazing is that after nearly 30 years those freewheels are still new unused in their original boxes still in warehouses or old bike shops that closed down! I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a used one, nope, and there are a lot of new freewheels made back in the 70s and 80s on the market, I saw a lot of them.