Giro 2023: Stage 19: Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km The Mega Mountain Stage ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 19: Longarone – Tre Cime di Lavaredo 183 km

Start Time: 10-35amBST.

A colossal stage across the Dolomites, featuring five consecutive climbs linked with no pause for breath. The route climbs the Campolongo, Valparola, Giau and Tre Croci passes, before taking on the closing climb to Rifugio Auronzo. The 19th stage is the toughest of the entire Giro. The 183 kilometres long route takes in an elevation gain of 5,400 metres.

After clicking into their pedals in Longarone the riders head for the high mountains.Ten years ago, Vincenzo Nibali took the spoils at Tre Cime di Lavaredo. In the pink jersey he appeared out of the fog and snow to claim the win.
Tre Cime di Lavaredo is the Giro 2023, Cima Coppi.

The Climbs.

The peloton will keep north through very tough false flat and a few minor climbs, including one of 1.5 km at 8% and one of 3.5 km at 7.1%, before they hit the first categorized climb of the day, Passo di Campolongo (GPM 2)

The riders tackle the Passo Valparola (14.1 kilometres at 5.6%) The top is at 2192m above sea level and is tougher in the second half.

Next, the uncategorized Colle Santa Lucia (2.2 km at 7.5%), followed by the mighty and mythical, Passo Giau. A 10km slog at and average of 9.3%, topping out at 2236m above sea level. In the past it has been successfully used as an attacking springboard.

Finally, the Passo Tre Croci (GPM2, 7.9 km at 7.2%), with its top at 13.5 km to go. A false flat leads to the he legendary climb to the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, with its killer final section of 4 km at 11.7%. The finah is at over 2,300 metres, at Rifugio Auronzo.

What to Expect.

Hard to see this one going to the breakaway. Chances are, whoever wins this stage wins this Giro. Just as Vincenzo Nibali did, in 2013.

Longarone

The municipality of Longarone (Longarón, name in Venetian dialect and in Ladin) is located where the Piave valley, the Zoldana valley, the gates of Cadore and the Cellina Valley meet (Friuli Venezia Giulia). The history of Longarone has its roots in Roman times and, today, the municipality is the result of the merger, in 2014, of the pre-existing municipalities of Longarone and Castellavazzo. Today, Longarone is a unique example of how a community can be reborn after a huge tragedy.

The Vajont dam disaster.
On 9 October 1963, during initial filling, a landslide caused a megatsunami in the lake in which 50,000,000 m3 (1.8×109 cu ft) of water overtopped the dam in a wave of 250 m (820 ft), which brought massive flooding and destruction to the Piave Valley below, leading to the destruction of several villages and towns, causing an estimated 1900 to 2500 deaths.

Food

The “International Exhibition of Gelato” (MIG) takes place in Longrone every year at the beginning of winter. This international fair on “cold sweet” makes Longarone (Belluno) the gelato capital, drawing the attention of gelato makers from all over the world. During the opening days, international conferences and meetings on topical subjects are held, and famous competitions such as the “Coppa d’Oro” and the “Carlo Pozzi” award take place.

Tre Cime di Lavaredo

Auronzo and Misurina are part of the Northern Dolomites with their 78,767 hectares (53,586 of heartland and 25,181 hectares of intermediate area), the largest of the nine areas making up the Dolomite World Heritage Site.They are part of a range of mountains shared by the provinces of Belluno and Bolzano bordering at the Pusteria, Sesto, Badia, San Cassiano, Boite and Piave valleys and containing some of the most famous massifs in the Alps: Tre Cime di Lavaredo, Cadini di Misurina, Sorapìss, Monte Cristallo, Marmarole, Antelao and the Croda dei Toni at Mt. Popera.
Describes as: “series of extraordinarily distinctive and exceptionally beautiful natural mountain landscapes”, “their variety of sculptural forms” and “their vertical, pale peaks”. Furthermore, the area possesses a complex of values of international scientific importance given its “quantity and concentration of extremely varied calcareous formations” and unusual geological features.

Food

Among the delicious dishes of the area do not miss the opportunity to enjoy the Gnocchi all’Auronzana: potato gnocchi seasoned with melted butter and smoked ricotta, a real treat for your palate!

Many places where tastes the delicacies of Cadore, spectacular places surrounded by greenery from the breathtaking landscape.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    My inner pessimist says this is going to be a GC dud, with everyone keeping powder dry for the TT. We might see some small late probing attacks just to put pressure on anyone that might not have legs that day, but nothing long range.

*blatant attempt to tempt the cycling gods into making me look an idiot by giving us a cracker*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Can't see a 2018-esque Froome Fenestre happening.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

My inner pessimist says this is going to be a GC dud, with everyone keeping powder dry for the TT. We might see some small late probing attacks just to put pressure on anyone that might not have legs that day, but nothing long range.

*blatant attempt to tempt the cycling gods into making me look an idiot by giving us a cracker*

It's hard to bluff, or hold anything back, on those final 4 kms.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Valpirola is a lovely climb. Giau is a kick in the nuts, with no warning, with a winklepicker worn by Leigh Halfpenny.
  • It’s got to the stage where I’m in full partisan fanboy mode. Today can be as dull as it wants if G is still atop the standings at the end of it!
  • blazing_saddles
    Today's weather forecast for Cortina:

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    I remember coming to Tre Cime undercooked, after a 140km day over two other climbs and it took me 54 minutes to do the last 6.8km. I did take some time to admire the view by the lake before the last 4km, but also it is absolutely brutal.
  • kingstongraham
    It's very pretty there - this is my camera phone photo from Giau

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137

I agree. That TT has dominated everyone's thinking.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

I remember coming to Tre Cime undercooked, after a 140km day over two other climbs and it took me 54 minutes to do the last 6.8km. I did take some time to admire the view by the lake before the last 4km, but also it is absolutely brutal.

Totally. I cannot fathom tackling this at the end of a day racing.
    Begs the question, will the pink jersey contenders pace or race?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Totally. I cannot fathom tackling this at the end of a day racing.

The last few days of this Giro will have seen the equivalent of three Marmottes in four days. And then the TT.

The pros truly are "made differently".

Special kudos to the sprinters hauling themselves over that lot just for the final stage.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Today's weather forecast for Cortina:

Better cut the stage short with that deluge forecast around the time they'll be riding up there.
  • kingstongraham
    Hugh Carthy out
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Hugh Carthy out

Yeah something not firing on all cylinders there .

"If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    This is the third queen stage of the giro
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited May 2023
    The day G loses time

Let's be honest now he has been doing a good impression of Cuddles (following with minor digs)

An anti-Contador if you will
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Someone is going to crack bigtime on the last climb no? Or will the pace just be backed off because of the mountain tt
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    josame said:

The day G loses time

Let's be honest now he has been doing a good impression of Cuddles (following with minor digs)

Cadel Evans - the TdF and Worlds winner? Not sure if riding in his style is a bad thing then?
  • mididoctors
    Well it's away
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268
    And Here. We. Go.

Hoping this battle for the breakaway will be carnage.
  • mididoctors
    Jumbo trying to get riders down the road .... They have numbers crazy not too
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2023
    josame said:

The day G loses time

Not disputing that Geraint may lose time. I have no idea how things will pan out. However, if you were being honest, you would be giving the Cuddles award to Roglic. He's been fortunate to have Sepp Kuss's wheel to follow up every Giro mountain. Were it not for Kuss, Roglic would almost certainly still in 3rd, rather than second.
    In fact, I doubt that Roglic would have had the career he has had, without Kuss being omnipresent.

Both Thomas and Roglic have made one attack in this third week. One made a successful attack, the other didn't.

• blazing_saddles
    A strangely subdued peloton
  • mididoctors
    Riders too tired to attack in large numbers
  • Pross
    60 odd kms of gradual climbing from km20 before reaching the start of the first official climb. Not a nice day to be in a 2 up break.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    josame said:

The day G loses time

Why do you hate British riders so much?

And as others have said, Roglic has sucked wheels all his career. He's hardly ever shown any panache, and but for Kuss wouldn't have won much, and certainly wouldn't be second, or even third this race.
  • Pross

josame said:

The day G loses time

Why do you hate British riders so much?

And as others have said, Roglic has sucked wheels all his career. He's hardly ever shown any panache, and but for Kuss wouldn't have won much, and certainly wouldn't be second, or even third this race.
    It's just third rate trolling. Best just ignored.
  • Pross
    Really don't get why a large group from the minor teams hasn't been allowed to go. Most of those who have been chased down are no danger.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pinot marking Healy at the rear of the peloton
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Going to be some very tired legs before the first climb even begins!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.