Up to 2.5 to spend on C2W but torn on the bike

Hi BR gang,

The weather at the mo has convinced me to finally replace my beloved stolen Rose and my new job has offered up to £2500 on the GCI for me.

The Rose was the Reveal 4 endurance bike but my fitter hand picked it and labelled it 'perfect' but thanks to Brexit its no longer possible

I've narrowed it down to either an Orro Gold STC 105 at about £2000 or my LBS has a Trek Domane SL5 on knock down to £2400.00 which I have reserved.

Fit for both is fine and I feel quite comfortable with them. Are there any major issues with either of them or could there be a better fit? I did try out an Orbea M30 but that is slightly out of my range.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,494
    Given that choice, I'd go with the Trek.
    It's a good established brand, you can see it and try it, and you support your LBS - what's not to like?
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Trek also looks better IMO. I'd go with the Trek all else being equal.
  • Rilkal47
    Rilkal47 Posts: 26
    singleton said:

Given that choice, I'd go with the Trek.
    It's a good established brand, you can see it and try it, and you support your LBS - what's not to like?

I was certainly leaning towards this, my biggest concern is with the handling of Gen 3 Domane is supposed to not be the greatsted.

It looks stunning in Black and Bronze with the tan wall tyres.
  • My philosophy is that unless you're racing, the best bike for you is the one you want to ride all the time, so looks are definitely a factor.

The Trek sounds like it ticks all the boxes.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    edited May 2023
    I'll be honest I'm not a Trek fan, but not for any specific reason, just a brand I don't gravitate to.
    However, if it was the right bike for me, in the right colour, and best spec I could get I would likely buy it anyway.

Totally agree on the looks stakes, this is a serious amount of cash, and I for one HAVE to like the look of what I am riding, unless it is a dedicated short commuter or town/utility bike.

It amazes me when I meet someone on a group ride, and I make a positive comment about their bike, and I get a reply such as 'ah well it was the only one in stock in my size at the time' - I can't get my head around that approach, but maybe I am the unfortunate one being so heavily invested in it all, perhaps my life would be simpler if it was not that way :D

Some LBS's will allow you to 'top up' over the voucher price, not officially an option, but some will do it irrespective, and I don't have an issue with it myself.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    I'm with you; tax breaks not withstanding, if you're dropping a serious amount on a new bike it should provoke a certain stirring in the trouser department when you gaze fondly at it.
  • Rilkal47
    Rilkal47 Posts: 26
    Munsford0 said:

I'm with you; tax breaks not withstanding, if you're dropping a serious amount on a new bike it should provoke a certain stirring in the trouser department when you gaze fondly at it.

A fizzing sensation one might say.