34/50 rings on a 9spd Record chainset?

As per the title, I've got a bike with 9spd Record and grinding up the mountains on a 39T front chainring doesn't seem like that much fun anymore! Assuming after-market (eg TA) rings exist - can i just fit them as normal and will it work ok?

TIA

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    No. You will need a compact crank. Smallest you get get for 130mm bolt diameter is 38T, if TA even still make them.

If you do get hold of a new crank (10sp stuff will work fine) then you may suffer from low chain tension in the higher gears and small ring. Fwiw I have a 10sp campag bike with a compact chair set and I just put up with it.

Other option is get a larger cassette, but beware rear mech compatibility. Could be max 25t on the back. You can get hold of hanger extenders and things like that, but I would look for a mid or long range rear derailleur. Not sure if they even exist for 9speed campag.

Don't think there's a particularly cheap or easy option for you I'm afraid.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 393
    Thanks F.A. Sounds like I'll be keeping it for the flatter days then! Or if/when I'm feeling strong again....
  • First.Aspect
    Fair enough. Personally I'm glad I bit the bullet and got granny gears.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    I use 10speed and am getting fed up trying to source expensive chainrings with the Campag hidden bolt. I'll assume square taper BB? Why not change to a compact that uses external threaded BB eg Middleburn. Could fit a 110 or a smaller bcd. Doesnt matter about the speed as they are chainrings and will just work (you may need to lower the FD

https://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/product-category/bicycle-cranks/
  • First.Aspect
    I'd just find any old compact crankset - 5 arm for aesthetics - and replace the whole lot together with a new BB.

I would avoid a Campag of 10sp vintage with the hirth joint spindle like the plague, though.
  • mr.b-campag
    mr.b-campag Posts: 393
    Thanks all. It's not a bike that I use that much, and it has a full 9spd Record group which I kinda like. I've other bikes with lower gearing, was just wondering if I might be able to use this a bit more but sounds like that's not the case.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    you can just change the front chainrings/crankset. Go external BB as I suggested and sourceeither a 110 or smaller BCD (94mm still on square taper) which gives you 46/30