GPS for MTB and Navigation

Hi Team,

I am on the hunt for a bike-computer-GPS-unit which is strong on navigation.

I want it to be able to do the following:-

Allow me to on-screen navigate from where I am now (getting lost is a bit of a thing!).
Warn me if I miss a turn on a pre-loaded trail or segment or whatever you want to call it.
Be big enough visually for average old-bugger eyesight (54, not getting any younger).
Be robust enough for bits of downhill, rocky and rubbly trails and the occasional stack (yep, still happens!).

Having looked around, I was initially looking at the Garmin Edge Explorer 2, but the actual user-reviews, as opposed to the Youtubers are pretty average. In fact some were terrible, especially on its main function, that of navigation.

So I'm wondering what else people may be using that would meet the above criteria?

From most of the reviews I have seen, I am favouring the Garmin 1030plus, but I'm wondering if that's too big? But if it's not it could be a winner.

Likewise, the Wahoo Elemnt Roam is in with a shout, but I don't think its navigation screen is as good as the 1030.

Bottom line ....

Has anyone used the 1030 for MTB? If so, is too big, has it survived stacks? Does it warn on missed trail turns etc?
Has anyone used the Wahoo Elemnt Roam? If so, does it navigate well etc etc?

Any other options out there that are worth looking at?

Thanks in advance ....

Comments

• pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 352
    I've tried bike-specific GPS devices as well as ordinary smartphones and I don't see a reason to favor the former.

On smartphone for outdoor use: I lost more than one, damaged by the rain. Now I only use "outdoor" specific smartphones, supposedly better rain resistant, better shock resistant, and longer lasting battery. Also heavier.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    The Garmin Explore 2 won't have worse navigation than the 1030 plus. Every bike computer will have quirks no matter the brand. It will take some time with any of them to see if any of these quirks affect and/or annoy you.

Yes, all Garmin units with navigation will warn you if you go off course.
  • Leighc1
    Leighc1 Posts: 3
    pep.fermi said:

I've tried bike-specific GPS devices as well as ordinary smartphones and I don't see a reason to favor the former.

That's an interesting suggestion, but that would also bring its own set of challenges.
    One sim, two phones etc, or a 2nd Sim which then involves additional expense.
    Although I suppose you could have no-sim and just tether to a hotspot.

Damaging my current phone is out of the question as there is too much life-dependency on having that functioning.

I also wonder how securely the phone would fit to the bike, compared to the GPS-mounts which are embedded into the back of the unit.

But thanks for the suggestion anyhow.
  • Leighc1
    Leighc1 Posts: 3
    edited March 2023
    wongataa said:

The Garmin Explore 2 won't have worse navigation than the 1030 plus. Every bike computer will have quirks no matter the brand. It will take some time with any of them to see if any of these quirks affect and/or annoy you.

I was surprised by the negative reviews from owners, but there are plenty across the different forums. The EE2 is also an unusual fit in the Garmin range, as it has multiple features stripped down to keep the price low, and size-wise its out there on its own. Unless a big fat firmware upgrade fixes a ton of bugs, and general performance it has every chance of being a one-off device that falls out of favour and support. So I'm not keen to take a $400 chance on being part of that experiment.

That's kind of why I'm drawn to 1030+. Proven track record, plenty of great reviews and happy customers. But it is big, which is why I wondered about is downhill, bumpy-track suitability. Unfortunately, its also extra $$$$ but the fact an older generation device still commands a premium reflects on its overall status in the GPS-MTB community (and probably roadies too).
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Garmins will survive bumpy MTB conditions just fine. If you are worried about one coming loose on the mount (which it shouldn't) you can also tether them to the bike.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 352
    edited March 2023
    Leighc1 said:

That's an interesting suggestion, but that would also bring its own set of challenges.

Why two sims? Or why two phones? I've never had more than one phone, one sim, and that's all I ever needed.
    Leighc1 said:

I also wonder how securely the phone would fit to the bike, compared to the GPS-mounts which are embedded into the back of the unit.

I had the same concern. It turned out it's actually very good. My phone has never fallen off the handlebar (though I ride mostly road). Beside, when the terrain is too rough, can store the phone in your bag or something.

Either way good luck with your choice.
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited March 2023
    Leighc1 said:

pep.fermi said:

Although I suppose you could have no-sim and just tether to a hotspot.

Damaging my current phone is out of the question as there is too much life-dependency on having that functioning.

But thanks for the suggestion anyhow.
    I use an old iPhone with a quadlock case on my mtb and road bikes. The case is waterproof and never had an issue with it coming off. Not that it would matter too much if it did break as would probably only cost me £40 to get another one.

I used to tether to my main phone and use Google maps, but I now prefer Komoot as you can cache the maps, so don’t need to use data which saves on battery.