Tour de France 2024

Dorset_Boy
Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,917
edited March 2023 in Pro race
Stages 20 and 21 have been announced today.
Stage 21 will be a time trial from Manaco to Nice over the Col d'Eze, with probably the same descent as yesterday's last stage of Paris-Nice.
Stage 20 is a mountain stage over the Cols de Braus, Turini, Colmiane and finishing atop the Couillole.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    I don't suppose this will give any clues as to L'Etape 2024?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    Stage 20 fits all that into 132km - 4,400m climbing.
  • Was suggested on The Cycling Podcast that now the tradition has been broken, the finish could be held outside Paris every 4 years or something
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568
    I wouldn't mind that to be honest.

I'm not especially invested in the Paris finish. I get the tradition aspect but it is *so* similar each year that I do struggle to be very interested.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I thought that pedestrianising the champs (or something) was going to a problem anyway
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    On balance I think I'd keep the Champs finish every year if possible. If they move it does the last stage then become just another flat sprint stage ? Does it become a competitive mountain stage ? They've got 3 weeks to fit those in and if it stays as a ceremonial stage with a sprint is there anywhere better than the centre of Paris?

Of course if they were to say the final stage every year was the full route of Paris Roubaix I'd be all in.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471
    Agreed that unless they decide they want the final stage to be a fully competitive stage where things can still change then they should keep the traditional Paris finish. The other two GTs just lack that big, celebratory finish for me whereas the Champs finish is special. It also keeps the sprinters interested in getting through the mountains, I'm not sure winning the final stage sprint on the main street in Lyon would be enough to encourage them to drag themselves over the climbs day after day.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,221
    I don't think it's realistic to have people trickling over the line for 40 minutes at the top of a mountain when you want to have a big presentation ceremony afterwards.