Tumeric supplements

I have been taking Tumeric for probably a couple of years(at least) and was recently giving blood when the nurse asked if I was on warfarin as my blood was very thin. I mentioned that I took Tumeric and she said this was as side effect of Tumeric. My question is will this affect the amount of oxygen the blood can carry? Sorry for the long post .TIA

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    This isn't a snide remark, but are you talking about Turmeric the brightly coloured spice, or is it something else?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    daniel_b said:

This isn't a snide remark, but are you talking about Turmeric the brightly coloured spice, or is it something else?

It can be used as health supplement for joint pain.
  • Hi Daniel it’s a Tumeric capsule from Healthspan. Thanks
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Hi Daniel it’s a Tumeric capsule from Healthspan. Thanks

I got some of those for 1p when I bought something else. They may have thinned my blood but they did nothing else I was a where of. However having being on blood thinners following surgery I often had cold extremities which I never experienced with the Tumeric.
  • There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence for the effects of turmeric. However it may slow blood clotting time and it may interact with drugs like warfarin (taken to slow blood clotting time) to increase the effect on clotting which may increase bleeding risk.
    'Blood thinning ' doesn't really mean anything - these drugs just reduce the speed of blood clotting by making platelets in your blood a bit less able to stick together.
    None of the effects will alter the ability of the blood to carry oxygen.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573

I never knew it could be spelt with or without the R, learn something new every day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 442
    edited March 2023
    daniel_b said:

I never knew it could be spelt with or without the R, learn something new every day.
    Have been looking at buying some myself to help with knee recovery- will take a look at any side effects for sure now. Can’t see it being spelt in any other way other than turmeric though!
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    daniel_b said:

I think what you learnt was that some people have trouble with the word turmeric. Healthspan themselves spell it with 2 Rs, and Googling tumeric gives results for turmeric. I hear a lot of people on telly failing to pronounce that first R; John Torode, I'm looking at you!

Anyhoo, the wife and I tried the H&B super duper turmeric capsules for a month or two when they had them on offer. Neither of us thought our joints ached any less so we packed it in.

Michael Mosley on R4 was saying he takes a teaspoon of the ground spice in a glass of milk a day for its anti-inflammatory effects. Apparently the fat aids the absorbtion of the curcumin. Black pepper is reputed to do the same.

Wondering if I could achieve the same with 4 curries a week...

And speaking of inflammation it seems they've recently concluded it's a major factor in cardiovascular events.
  • Shame this thread is too recent for our resident group of link spammers to post a random link to some great deal, or how tumeric is good/bad for you. ;)

Might look into this, my knees haven't been great for most of the last almost six months.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Apparently it also has anti-cancer properties too. I have read reports that you need to have so much for it to be effective it will probably turn your body orange in the process.

I prefer mine in a veggie carry and some in my basmati rice.

Re the knee pain. I wouldn't bother. I have knee pain and I'm on all sorts of anti-inflammatory drugs and steroids (not for knee pain but it would work if it was) and my knees see no change. Exercise and physio have better effects.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Yep hands up. I can’t spell!!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,399

Shame this thread is too recent for our resident group of link spammers to post a random link to some great deal, or how tumeric is good/bad for you. ;)

Might look into this, my knees haven't been great for most of the last almost six months.

Calling @Samanthanichols1299 and @robertclark101299 😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have been taking Turmeric with Black Pepper for about 3 years . Discomfort /pain in my hand joints has reduced noticeably. No noticeable side effects.
    Could be coincidence but I am certainly not going to stop taking them to find out.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 140
    I was using it daily for mood. Accidentally taking 2 in the morning saw me buzzing around at work like I'd had a Monster Energy (I don't drink much caffeine normally), so I'm pretty convinced it was doing something for me.
    But it also seems to have been adding to my ridiculously high BP, so I've stopped.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    edited March 2023
    The main biologically active compound in turmeric is curcumin. There is a hugh scientific literature (including one or two from me) indicating anti-inflammatory, anti-hypertensive and anti-cancer activity IN THE LAB. Whether you can get even close to those pharmacologically active levels from dietary supplements is doubtful.

Just in case I eat lots of curries.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Mad_Malx said:

The main biologically active compound in turmeric is curcumin. There is a hugh scientific literature (including one or two from me) indicating anti-inflammatory, anti-hypertensive and anti-cancer activity IN THE LAB. Whether you can get even close to those pharmacologically active levels from dietary supplements is doubtful.

I think that's the issue with the majority of "supplements", isn't it? The effect is there, but you have to consume ludicrous amounts of them to have any chance of it being functional. The labelling always says "may assist..." or similar to avoid any comeback on the manufacturer.

The recommended dosages on them seem to me to be 99.5% aimed at supplementing the cash flow of the manufacturer and 0.5% possibly benefiting the consumer.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,555

Mad_Malx said:

I think that's the issue with the majority of "supplements", isn't it? The effect is there, but you have to consume ludicrous amounts of them to have any chance of it being functional.

I think that is in large part down to the lack of bioavailability of many compounds, curcumin being one good example.