Moore Large

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Moore Large - UK company who own a number of bike brands - have gone into administration.
[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    BikeBiz:
    "Moore Large’s portfolio consists of recognisable brands including Tern e-bikes, Tru Tension maintenance and cleaning products, BMX brand WeThePeople, and its house-owned bike brand Forme."
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    Only one of those I heard of is Forme.

The article goes on to say that amin are being retained for the moment but company cars have already been returned.

Company cars?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,732
    Apparently a load of staff got laid off yesterday morning - I know a few of them (not well). Was a management buy out a couple of years ago.
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited March 2023
    They have quite a few brands we've all heard of listed in their website -kmc for example - but presumably only act as a distributor for many of them.

When reading about this also saw that Paligap had gone under relatively recently - can't remember where I know them from but I think one of the better known distributors in the UK - at least parts of the bike industry must be going through difficult times.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    That's a real shame. A few people I know have Tern bikes as their main transport for ferrying kids around and shopping. I guess thus will bugger their warranty.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480

That's a real shame. A few people I know have Tern bikes as their main transport for ferrying kids around and shopping. I guess thus will censored their warranty.

Anyone using their credit card to purchase an item over £100 and under £30k has the card provider as an alternative guarantor for any warranty.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Is it just me or does the figure of 35,000 bikes seem very large for them to have?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    oxoman said:

I'm guessing someone will pick up some of the brands to be uk distributor's.

oh ffs, I can just see mike ashley getting his people involved as I type :#
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I saw earlier today that Lake are setting up their own UK operation as a result of this, so they're not reliant on another distributor.
  • DeVlaeminck

Is it just me or does the figure of 35,000 bikes seem very large for them to have?

I thought that - I suppose a lot of them may be cheap kids bikes but even so. It'll be interesting to see what they list on this auction.

A mate reckons that the management buy out had a business plan that relied on 40% growth - maybe just me but given cycling has just been through a boom that does sound somewhat unrealistic.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480

I thought that - I suppose a lot of them may be cheap kids bikes but even so. It'll be interesting to see what they list on this auction.

A mate reckons that the management buy out had a business plan that relied on 40% growth - maybe just me but given cycling has just been through a boom that does sound somewhat unrealistic.

https://www.geldards.com/insights/geldards-advise-derbyshire-bike-firm-moore-large-on-management-buyout/

No doubt the ex directors had sizeable personal guarantees in the deal too.

The current break down of stock suggests £25million of bikes and £10million of cycle accessories.

The suppliers in this case have an impossible position here. Firstly they take the hit not only on the lost stock but also on any monies owed. Who know what credit terms were negotiated, 10, 30, 60 or 90 days?

These suppliers now have a sizeable amount of their products potentially hitting the market at peak time at a substantial discount if acquired at a low lost relative to saleable value through the auction.

The suppliers in this case would have to bid on their previously owned and unpaid stock to protect their brand, existing customers sales and revenue streams. At the very least to drive the price point up.

Considering the administration is an office of a court of law, their power is considerable with an obligation to recover as much money as possible for the creditors who will rank in preference according to the type of debt. With that in mind it will be interesting to see how they handle the lots by auction.

And the above doesn’t touch on the employees who have lost their livelihood.

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    It's up and running. Predictably Ebay is already awash with bikes that people are buying and trying to turn a profit...
  • The bids showing seem high on basic bikes .
    A 500 retail Lombardo MTB at 250 to 300
    Then +25% buyers premium then 20% vat then shipping .
    Hardly worth the bother
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

That's a huge amount of cash to have tied up in stock, if correct...

• DeVlaeminck
    I missed the buyer's premium and vat - yes not exactly a bargain when those are factored in.