Mileage in a cassette?

My chain is skipping on the trainer and needs replacing, should I be replacing the cassette as well? It's an Ultegra 11 speed which has 4500 miles (same as the chain) exclusively on the turbo. Should this be good for another chain cycle or should it be replaced at the same time?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    A general rule of thumb is 3 chains for one cassette.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Get a new chain and try. Worse case you then have to get a new cassette.
    Id imagine 4500 on a turbo would just allow you to just change the chain.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • As above, cassette should be okay with that mileage.

You will soon know if the new chain starts skipping as well.
  • Unless all your turbo rides are of a very similar nature, mileage isn't a great metric, compared to something like time.

My turbo bike had new cassettes on the rear wheel and turbo last Easter, along with new chain.

Since then, it's maybe done a feeble ~30 hours outdoors and I'd guess ~170 hours max on the turbo. I should be able to get figures off Strava later.

Must check chain for wear, got a spare ready to fit, hopefully won't need to fit the spare cassette on the turbo just yet.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540

Unless all your turbo rides are of a very similar nature, mileage isn't a great metric, compared to something like time.

My turbo bike had new cassettes on the rear wheel and turbo last Easter, along with new chain.

Since then, it's maybe done a feeble ~30 hours outdoors and I'd guess ~170 hours max on the turbo. I should be able to get figures off Strava later.

Must check chain for wear, got a spare ready to fit, hopefully won't need to fit the spare cassette on the turbo just yet.

180 hours in total, will keep it on there and see what occurs when I fit the new chain later. It looks in decent shape so hopefully it'll last me another chain.

Cheers all.