What's this on sidewall of just installed brand new tyre?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
Anything to be concerned about?

Comments

• Is that a GP4Seasons tyre?

Part of the (kevlar?) sidewall protection exposed?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    Is it just a stray thread on the surface? Sidewall itself looks OK. I'd see if it scrapes off with a fingernail
  • bungle73

Is that a GP4Seasons tyre?

Part of the (kevlar?) sidewall protection exposed?

Yes it is.

I've no idea what it is. I asked the same thing on another forum and a couple of people seem to think it may be an odd bit of fluff. I tried picking at it and it definitely appears to be attached to the tyre.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Looks like a bit of the Kevlar being exposed.

If it's bulging in any way don't ride it, but otherwise should be fine. The carcass provides the structure not the rubber so should still be safe.

If new and it bothers you you can of course send it back to where you bought it, which is what I'd do.
  • bungle73

Looks like a bit of the Kevlar being exposed.

If it's bulging in any way don't ride it, but otherwise should be fine. The carcass provides the structure not the rubber so should still be safe.

If new and it bothers you you can of course send it back to where you bought it, which is what I'd do.

Thanks. That's what they thought on the other form too. No it's not bulging. I'm very, very reluctant to send it back as they're 32s, and everywhere appears to be out of stock or to not sell that size at all. Even the place I bought them from now lists them as out of stock.
  • Munsford0
    edited March 2023
    Still think it looks like a surface thing; If it was mine I'd ride it. The amount of sh1t on the roads at the moment you soon won't see it at all...
  • Maybe add a pre-emptive tyre boot inside tyre?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bungle73
    Both of those are more then I paid (£50), and I'm sure sure it's worth the hassle. If it's just cosmetic and doesn't compromise the structural integrity of the tyre I'm inclined just leave it, as suggested. Maybe the photo makes it look worse than it is. IRL it's a very thin line. I've had the suggestion to apply a bit of glue to stop it from pulling?

Maybe add a pre-emptive tyre boot inside tyre?

Not sure that is necessary if the rubber isn't compromised and it's just cosmetic? Maybe I should take the tyre off again and inspect the interior just to see, anyway?

• Munsford0
    Nah, save yourself the effort. Pretty sure it's cosmetic and confined to the surface. You'd see some kind of deformation if the structural integrity of the sidewall was compromised.

For 2 years I've been riding a tyre with a patched sidewall cut which does have a hint of a hernia. It's on the back of the bike just in case...
  • Looks like a bit of fluff got inside the tyre mould to me.
    It's on top of the brownish sidewall protection mesh, so it's harmless.
  • bungle73
    Thanks.