Cycling in the vicinity of Poole & Sandbanks on the south coast.

Hello people of Bikeradar.

A friend I work with has an airbnb down on the coast, and kindly she will do mates rates for me, and no extra fees if we go direct, which make it rather affordable for the area.

It's quite a spacious apartment, and she said there would be room to take 3 bikes down and keep them in the apartment - result!

Thinking of going down there for 4 nights in May sometime, but am unsure what bikes to take - well mostly for my daughter.

There will be some beach days for sure, but I'd really like to get out for 1 longer ride in the morning, and also for a couple of family rides, but am not familiar with the types of riding to be had down there.

My daughter, who is 9, is a tall and confident rider, and currently has a Frog 73 hybrid type bike, 26" wheels, but with tyres that would be equally happy offroad.
At easter we plan to gift her her first proper road bike, a 44cm 2nd hand Bianchi, but it's got proper road tyres, I forget whether they are 23s or 25s, but not much clearance beyond that anyway, but seeing as that will be the 'new toy' she might well push to take that one instead - however if the bulk of good family cycling to be had is off road etc, then the Frog will make most sense.

Personally I'll take my gravel bike, and either the hybrid for my partner or her winter bike more likely.

Does anyone have any personal experience of riding down there?

The apartment in question is on Sandbanks road if that helps anyone identify the area - ideally be looking to ride from there, though a possibility could be to pop two bikes in the van and I ride to the start point.

Any insight appreciated :-)
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Too many years ago (which will possibly make this redundant) I cycled from Swanage to Southampton via Poole. The part to Poole was pleasant as I remember. The rest not so much.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Ferry across to the Purbecks
    There is plenty of road and off road routes there, hilly though. Sandbanks Rd, Shore Road and then Banks Road. Ferry at the end of the peninsular
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,875
    Hmmm, there is a bike lane around the harbour towards Poole IIRC, but the main part of the road is quite busy as are all the roads in Poole and Bournemouth. You should check then the promenade that goes from S'banks to Christchurch closes to bikes.

Sandbanks ferry has been out of action for a while but may be back on stream.

Purbecks are hilly and roads are fairly narrow, but scenic.

Wareham Forest has quite a few off road trails, fairly sandy through there.

Wareham towards Dorchester is fairly flat with quietish back roads, and Blandord to Wimborne too.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    As mentioned - it's a very short (5 min) hope over the harbour entrance onto the purbecks which is great for on-road and off road riding.

I think the promende should be open - I was down there last summer during peak time and it was fine for us.

As for where to ride - I did this route a few years ago which has some nice roads.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/740119032

and there's the half Ironman Weymouth which will have some routes you can copy.

My personal view (you are more into riding than I am) is that it's not worth taking your bike. I live not far from there and friends of mine are down there too so I go quite often. There's SO much to do down there (windsurf / sailing / SUP / waterski / boat trips / browsea island / beach etc.) and I can ride my bike anytime. That said, I am a water baby first and a cyclist very much second.

Enjoy - and arrive / leave super early / late as the traffic onto to peninsula is atrocious.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Thanks all, some great suggestions there - my friend is lending us her paddleboard, and possibly kayak as well, so my partner and daughter will likely be making use of those during the stay as well - plus they both enjoy swimming.

I'm familiar with the chain ferry, been over it several times, and yes it was out of action in Feb as we didn't check, drove all the way there to try and get to knoll beach, which then added an hour onto the journey time - lesson learned!

I have ridden a small amount of those roads, and would be happy to ride them solo, but I think with a 9 year old, and with the rolling terrain I think it would be a bit of a challenge - however the note that there are some offroad routes we could have a look at over there is interesting.

Thanks for that route @shirley_basso , I will take a look :-)

Interesting idea on the boat trip, I'll look into that and see what I can find, I reckon that would be pretty cool if the weather is kind.

Hmmm, there is a bike lane around the harbour towards Poole IIRC, but the main part of the road is quite busy as are all the roads in Poole and Bournemouth. You should check then the promenade that goes from S'banks to Christchurch closes to bikes.

Sandbanks ferry has been out of action for a while but may be back on stream.

Purbecks are hilly and roads are fairly narrow, but scenic.

Wareham Forest has quite a few off road trails, fairly sandy through there.

Wareham towards Dorchester is fairly flat with quietish back roads, and Blandord to Wimborne too.

Thanks for this - the promenade could have potential, though I suspect it will be chocca block with people on half term week - will have a look though, and can bear it mind as an option if it open.

Wareham Forest, and towards Dorchester, and Blandford to Wimborne looks like it needs some further investigation :-)

Thanks again B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Looks like it's only July and August when there's no cycling along the promenade:
    https://www.letsgoout-bournemouthandpoole.co.uk/cycling-at-the-beach/

Sandbanks ferry info:
    https://www.sandbanksferry.co.uk/
    £1.00 each way for bikes
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023
    Thanks for all the advice :-)

I've had a scout around on googlemaps, as well as looking for routes on Komoot, and considering the advice here, and have come up with two routes.

One for me:

And a shorter off road biased one for the three of us:

If my daughter really struggles, I can chop the large loop of at the end which would bring it down to 28km.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    Ah okay - so you're not staying on Sandbanks, you're a bit further up the coast.

If you want to do watersports - check out Rockley Park as it's just around the corner. It's where I learned to sail for a week throughout my childhood and did my instructor course, then taught for them in France for a few weeks. Really good bunch and there's a hobie centre there as well - and hobies are great fun
  • Dorset_Boy
    daniel_b said:

Thanks for all the advice :-)

I've had a scout around on googlemaps, as well as looking for routes on Komoot, and considering the advice here, and have come up with two routes.

One for me:

And a shorter off road biased one for the three of us:

If my daughter really struggles, I can chop the large loop of at the end which would bring it down to 28km.

Do the Swanage loop from Corfe to Kingston to Swanage.
    Nice testing climb to Kingston.
    The rest of the route is good.

You could also do a different route along the ranges to Lulworth Cove, and perhaps meet the family at the cafe there for coffee.
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023

Ah okay - so you're not staying on Sandbanks, you're a bit further up the coast.

If you want to do watersports - check out Rockley Park as it's just around the corner. It's where I learned to sail for a week throughout my childhood and did my instructor course, then taught for them in France for a few weeks. Really good bunch and there's a hobie centre there as well - and hobies are great fun

Yep sorry, it's about 2.5 miles from the ferry - I will look up Rockley park, and thanks for the pointer on the hobie - appears to be a kayak?
    I think my friend has an inflatable kayak as well, probably not as solid as a hobie though.

Do the Swanage loop from Corfe to Kingston to Swanage.
    Nice testing climb to Kingston.
    The rest of the route is good.

You could also do a different route along the ranges to Lulworth Cove, and perhaps meet the family at the cafe there for coffee.

The route I have plotted is a figure of 8 laid down, so are you suggesting riding the northern most loops together, Rempstone > Corfe > Stoborough, and then riding the southern most parts together, Furze Brook > Knowle Green > Corfe > Kingston > Swanage and back?

I will almost certainly be on my gravel bike if that makes any difference.

Do you think a gravel bike, and a boardman hybrid running marathon pluses would be ok on the off roady bits I have plotted?
    They are both set up pretty comfortably, as you might well imagine.

I'll look out the Lulworth cove thing too - I could always set out early, and they could meet me there for a late breakfast or something.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    It's a type of sailing boat which is very family friendly.

https://hobiecatcentre.co.uk/
  • Dorset_Boy
    @daniel_b I'd go Sandbanks to Corfe and do the Wareham loop first, and then on the way back go Corfe, Kingston, Swanage. Wareham loop is good in both directions.

Suggested Lulworth route:
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42251665