Pandemic is over, when will the prices go back down?

zest28
zest28 Posts: 403
edited March 2023 in Road general
So bike shops were making excuses that due to the pandemic, the prices have increased to absurd heights.

Now that the pandemic is over, when do we see price drops on bikes?

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    I agree, now companies know what they can get away with. What will change it is competition or people simply being not prepared to spend at that level.

Look at clothes and electronics with massive competition and supply, generally haven't changed much.
  • Our LBS has been selling quite a few bikes at decent discounted prices now that the supply chain seems to be functioning again.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    There's been a lot on the press recently detailing the current crisis in the bike industry of too much stock! A consequence of trying to meet the demand which appeared during lockdown, but not knowing when the boom would turn to bust.

There is a great video on YouTube by GCPerformance explaining the situation. He shows how and why the industry found itself in this position.

There are loads of sales on at the moment to clear the surplus. Unfortunately, these tend to be low to mid range, not higher range bikes. Going forward, I can see a return to the usual cycle of discounts when new models are released, but I think pretty much every product will never return to the pre covid rrp.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Not cycling related, but costs on other things are still going up faster than before the pandemic. Energy prices are pushing things up, transport is still way more expensive than before and raw materials prices are higher. Add to that inflation is pushing wages up, which has a knock on effect on prices. And round it goes again...
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Prices and wages are sticky so neither will go down. It’s more likely that inflation will fall and over the course of a few years wages will rise more quickly than prices so it’ll start to feel more affordable again.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I've found I don't even look at bikes now - I couldn't tell you what the latest models are or what they cost.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Inflation dropping ≠ prices dropping. That would be deflation which would be bad for the economy. You might get sale prices again but higher MRP's are baked in.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited March 2023

I've found I don't even look at bikes now - I couldn't tell you what the latest models are or what they cost.

There are a few EOL deals to be had out there at the mo and the Halfords Easter sale has me considering a folding bike, an adventure bike and a semi-aero road bike.

Also looking at gaming laptops as our Surface Pro 4 is dying, would give us something portable that could play Zwift nice and also play our Steam library collection wherever... Although it might be cheaper to buy an Apple TV 4k (£170), a replacement lounge 4k tv (~£300) and a Steam Deck (~£500?)! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Prices are going down already ,the will drop 20% due to overstock by oretty much all the big players having lots of already built bikes
  • As above, prices are not going to return to pre pandemic levels and bike manufacturers seem set on continuing to price gouge.

The sense, having read various pieces on the state of the industry, is that mid range bikes are the most overstocked and more liable to price drops.

As with any goods, if you are in the market, the best thing is always to find what you want, go into a shop and see if you can negotiate a price.

I honestly don't recall paying full price for a bike. I have always gone in, told them what I after, given a budget and asked if they could do it for that price. I have never had a refusal. You have to remember, a lot of 'buyers' have little intention of buying. When a bike shop (or most smaller/independent retailers) can see you are a genuine buyer there is usually a bit of wiggle room on price.
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    Is the pandemic over? A few weeks ago 9 people in my office out of about 20 had covid!
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,312
    Prices will come down right around the time call centres stop kicking off calls with a recorded message about experiencing higher than normal volumes.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudsucker said:

Is the pandemic over? A few weeks ago 9 people in my office out of about 20 had covid!

Bet there all glad they got vaccinated to stop the spread
  • Bet there all glad they got vaccinated to stop the spread

Vaccination was all about reducing your own personal risk to serious Covid disease and death.

Vaccination was not about reducing transmission.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731

Vaccination was all about reducing your own personal risk to serious Covid disease and death.

Though if we are all getting Covid every year anyway is there a need for vaccination ? I admit I didn't bother with my last vax as I'd not long had the virus so I figured I'd have some natural immunity.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,842
    edited March 2023

Though if we are all getting Covid every year anyway is there a need for vaccination ? I admit I didn't bother with my last vax as I'd not long had the virus so I figured I'd have some natural immunity.

Well this is what long Covid has done to me from just a cycling perspective...

I've only knowingly had Covid twice, previous time was mid March '20, wasn't great (post-infection crippling fatigue for ~6 weeks) but not as bad as last ~5 months. Body didn't take too well to my three vaccine jabs, but my last one was the Dec '21 booster. Not offered vaccine since because I'm not 50 until next year and I'm not classed as medically vulnerable.

I believe that if I'd been offered a seasonal vaccine in '22 no later than around the first week of September, I would not be sitting here with long Covid. And I would happily have taken another vaccine jab, despite the side effects I had in '21, because the side effects were for a far shorter duration.

Hindsight is 20/20, but maybe I should have not been so cautious about getting Covid after the first time, especially after the vaccines. Maybe I should have gone out of my way to get it around Feb '22, while my booster was still quite strong. Problem was, I was being so cautious because my better half already had long Covid and we had no idea what a re-infection would do to her.

================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,208

Well, it was until we realised it didn't stop the transmission. It's a new vaccine, we didn't know what it would achieve.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 416
    edited March 2023

Natural immunity is now proven to be more effective .And they 100% pushed tge " don't kill granny " narrative .
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001

Natural immunity is now proven to be more effective .And they 100% pushed tge " don't kill granny " narrative .
    Natural infection is proven to be more hazardous than vaccination
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Please don't. Just don't.
    There is another more suitable thread for Covid vaccines.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,914

There are a few EOL deals to be had out there at the mo and the Halfords Easter sale has me considering a folding bike, an adventure bike and a semi-aero road bike.

Also looking at gaming laptops as our Surface Pro 4 is dying, would give us something portable that could play Zwift nice and also play our Steam library collection wherever... Although it might be cheaper to buy an Apple TV 4k (£170), a replacement lounge 4k tv (~£300) and a Steam Deck (~£500?)! :D
    If your still think of a Deck, they're on a 10% sale for the first time.
  • As above, prices are not going to return to pre pandemic levels and bike manufacturers seem set on continuing to price gouge.

The sense, having read various pieces on the state of the industry, is that mid range bikes are the most overstocked and more liable to price drops.

As with any goods, if you are in the market, the best thing is always to find what you want, go into a shop and see if you can negotiate a price.

I honestly don't recall paying full price for a bike. I have always gone in, told them what I after, given a budget and asked if they could do it for that price. I have never had a refusal. You have to remember, a lot of 'buyers' have little intention of buying. When a bike shop (or most smaller/independent retailers) can see you are a genuine buyer there is usually a bit of wiggle room on price.

Yep, same story. But even then, market level prices affect small stores too, they can only discount you that much sadly. Still in the end, I've noticed that I've been spending a tad bit more on average compared to pre-2020 on parts.
    Merida Scultura 300 -Sometimes shooting at the local range(9mm and 223 ammo)