E-Road Bikes, electric assist; Are They Worth The high £-price ??

Many people changing their road cycling bike to electric assist road bikes, ie, E-road bikes, in the UK they are limited to 15.5 MPH and a Battery Range of 30; to 60 miles max. Do you think they are worth the high cost, ? I'll be 75, this year and been considering buying one? as some of our cycling club members have already gone over to E-road bikes. I'm not sure I'm ready yet to make the leap to an e,Road Bike.
Anyone else thinking of getting an e-Road Bike? if so; what are your thoughts on them?
Thanks

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    They’re not for me, however there is a massive utility to e-bikes.

My wife and I were having a picnic up the struggle in the lakes. Two old boys, who must have each been over 70 were making progress on their road bikes up this not unsubstantial climb.

We finished the picnic and drove to the top of the climb where we passed to two,old fellas, both had lights on the their top tube and were riding E bikes.

Historically riders were limited by their fitness where they chose to ride. Nowadays with E bikes you can ride climbs and further with assistance.

Sorry I can’t see any downside except for ill informed comment it’s not proper cycling which is elitist and just wrong on so many levels.

It’s about smiles per mile…..
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Mostyn
    Mostyn Posts: 30
    slowmart said:

They’re not for me, however there is a massive utility to e-bikes.

My wife and I were having a picnic up the struggle in the lakes. Two old boys, who must have each been over 70 were making progress on their road bikes up this not unsubstantial climb.

We finished the picnic and drove to the top of the climb where we passed to two,old fellas, both had lights on the their top tube and were riding E bikes.

Historically riders were limited by their fitness where they chose to ride. Nowadays with E bikes you can ride climbs and further with assistance.

Sorry I can’t see any downside except for ill informed comment it’s not proper cycling which is elitist and just wrong on so many levels.

It’s about smiles per mile…..

Yes my thoughts exactly; the members in our club that have E-road bikes are all younger than me, but none of them are ex RR & TT competitors from the past. I'm still unsure about taking the plunge? I may wait a wile longer before getting one.

• If they get you riding more often, further and/or to places you might struggle to ascend under your own power, they're a great option.

My biggest concern with them has been the longivity of the "e" parts, especially the battery and how much a replacement one might set me back.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I was looking in to one for a daily 7 miles each way commute, regardless of weather & weighted down with luggage whatnot it'll still average the 15mph. The cost of e bike isn't actually that much more or in fact cheaper than non electric bikes. Again as motor doing some work a lower tier groupset say 105 alloy frame Ribble e bike is cheaper than their carbon Ultegra non electric one.
    In the end I decided to go non electric but if needed I wouldn't hesitate.
    The only draw back is whether you can currently average 15-16mph on your own if you can then the additional weight penalty but again depends what you're comparing it to and again unless having to carry/lift bike or battery dies mid ride the weight doesn't matter when the motor is assisting.
    The only other factor as you mentioned is the range on one charge depending what sort of riding you want do , I'm sure over time it'll improve as it already has done , maybe soon solar power or dynamo hub charge mor like cars braking adds bk .
    There is also issue of battery life , increase risk of fire (numerous stories of catching fire) and not as environmental friendly IE higher carbon foot print,.
    One question I had that I didn't find an answer to is the running costs with electricity prices as they are, what does 1 charge cost and how often you use it n.need to recharge.
    I've heard they're easy enough to hack and deregulate the speed limit.
    I certainly don't see it as "cheating" as some do, unless if course it's hidden and being dishonest.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    andyh01 said:

I
    One question I had that I didn't find an answer to is the running costs with electricity prices as they are, what does 1 charge cost and how often you use it n.need to recharge.

With a bit of guess work a full charge will take about 1/2 a kilo watt hour , cost about 16pence.

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    My opinion about ebikes?
    Good for commuting, but in the long run the cost of lost health is put on the account of the tax payers, the profit will be in the producer and sellers pockets...
    I'm70 and very happy I don't need them.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    keezx said:

My opinion about ebikes?
    Good for commuting, but in the long run the cost of lost health is put on the account of the tax payers, the profit will be in the producer and sellers pockets...
    I'm70 and very happy I don't need them.

I look it at another way. An eBike may well allow someone to keep cycling beyond the stage at which they would have retired and hence there is health benefit. Similarly an eBike may actually allow someone to start cycling when they wouldn't with an ordinary bike,

I'm about to turn 60 and plan to keep cycling as long as I can but when it gets harder or too hard I'll switch to an eBike.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ladrLKmlavw
    Check this vid out. An interesting and informative look at a Cannondale (12kg) road e-bike giving 300km range! You would find that a lot of the time you would be over the cut off limit without really trying so not using the battery. It’s just nice to have the small amount of assistance at the end of a long run if needed. The Mahle rear hub motors feel more like a gentle push in the back when in use. And don’t forget you still have to pedal all the time so i can assure you there is no loss of health benefits from it not being a normal bike.
    You could have this ultegra e-version for same as a normal bike.
    https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39b0s418p10723/CANNONDALE-700-M-S6-EVO-Neo-2-SGG-demo-2020
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited March 2023
    It depends. If you live in a flat area, I would say no.

If you live in the mountains, then an e-bike could be fun.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    The steep hill thing is odd, just get off and exercise the legs in a different way. I think it's just a load more environmental waste.

Crazy.