£3k bike to work voucher to spend in March. Help

Hi,

In terms of background I’m looking to spend a £3k bike to work voucher before end of Mar. I am tempted with a 2022 Cannondale Evo Supersix model with Rival AXS for £3k which importantly is available for delivery.

So before I.go and find one in person to test ride does anyone have or know this bike and be willing to share feedback?

In addition can anyone recommend any alternative road or gravel or even electric bike for the £3k mark that are available via cyclescheme in March

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Thanks for the link. I agree that looks very good value. I won’t get any change from the voucher so looking to spend all of it so keen for any other recommendations at the £3k mark.

Thanks
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    People have different brand preferences, but a Specialized sl7 RIVAL AXS is still £5,500 and a supersix evo is every bit as good IMO.
    The wheels might be the weak link - as with most bike builds - but something like these would complete the bike nicely if you have a few spare quid.

https://www.merlincycles.com/cannondale-hollowgram-35-carbon-clincher-disc-road-wheelset-700c-271253.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/vision-sc-40-carbon-clincher-disc-road-wheelset-175221.html
  • Thank you. Like you i thought the Cannondale looked good value with rival AXS for £3k compared to some of the other mainstream bikes

Will need to see one in person and ride it to be more sure but so far I’ve not found similar road bikes at this price.
  • I don't have experience of the newer supersix evo but I have a Caad12 and have ridden previous generations of the supersix. Cannondale are very good bikes IME, to be fair most of the bikes on offer from the major manufacturers is going to be a decent bike.

Is the bike you are looking at the one that is reduced from £4.5k? At that price you probably won't find a bike with as good a spec as that has. I Had some DT swiss 470 rims on a previous bike (if it is the bike I am looking at with these wheels). They are a perfectly good wheelset, never had any issues with them.
  • Hi. Yes it’s the 2022 model that is available at £3k reduced from a claimed list of £4.5k. And yes the wheels are the DT Swiss 470.

On paper it seems a lot of bike compared to the alternatives.
  • Yes, looks like you will get a fair bit of bike for the money.

As you say, go and have a look in person and see if it is the right bike for you.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I don't think you'll do any better spec wise for 3k, well more like £1800 with the tax savings!

It's unusual you have a 3k voucher, as everytime I have used one, I have had to raise a request for a voucher, and specify what items I am buying, so once it was a groupset, another time it was a bike, mudguards and additional handlebars - I then received a voucher for exactly those two amounts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • That’s interesting as you are right I don’t yet have the voucher but I was told by cyclescheme I had to spend it all in one shop and if I didn’t spend it all any balance was lost.
    I might go back around with the cyclescheme team to double check as if I could buy a groupset with one company and then (a cheaper) bike with another company for example that could be something I would consider.
  • richys
    richys Posts: 28
    I’ve got a 2020 Supersix EVO Hi Mod (with mechanical Ultegra). It’s a great frame — comfortable, fast (seems to accelerate above 40km/h compared to my old round tube ‘Dale), and a general joy to own. Never had a problem with the BB. I did change the standard alu bars and stem for the carbon semi-integrated Knot cockpit. I found the alu bars a little harsh on our crappy roads. Nothing too bad though. I also have the Knot carbon wheels rather than the DT Swiss wheels this comes with. So, can’t really comment on that. So long as they’re round and straight, they should be fine ;)

I also have Rival AXS (XPLR, to be specific) on my Ti gravel bike. Really impressed with Rival. The front chainset looks a bit of a clunker on the 2x drivetrain, but the changes are super snappy and effortless. I actually really like the SRAM button arrangement compared to Shimano as well (at least for 1x). Hoods good and comfy, and the brakes seem as good as Ultegra discs too.

Basically, go for it. £3k seems a bit of a bargain these days for that amount of bike…
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,174
    you bugger, my voucher was limited to 2k 🫤
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023

That’s interesting as you are right I don’t yet have the voucher but I was told by cyclescheme I had to spend it all in one shop and if I didn’t spend it all any balance was lost.
    I might go back around with the cyclescheme team to double check as if I could buy a groupset with one company and then (a cheaper) bike with another company for example that could be something I would consider.

You can only spend the voucher with one company, otherwise there would theoretically be two separate 'Letters of collection' and you are only permitted one contract within a 12 month period.

I was exceedingly lucky with my first one, the bike plus the mudguards and bars came in at £2998.98 - and not long after the bike got bumped up by £150, which would have meant I would have had to drop something from the order.
    Second time, December last year, was a groupset.

Mine has really opened up recently in terms of value and flexibility.
    At one point it was a bit of a joke, 1k limit, and only a 4 week window in March in which you could use it!

We had someone really good join HR who I politely lobbied with some facts, and she moved it to 12 month availability and a 3k limit. Sadly she has since moved on :(

I've used the 1k limit once, and am now on my 2nd 3k one - having been within £1.02 of the limit in 2021, in 2022 I went to within £1 :D

I see you are with Cyclescheme - mine use Cycle Solutions, which are accepted at less providers than yours I think, though still quite a lot out there.

Looks really nice in that green, I'd already have it bought/ordered/reserved if I were you - well as long as you know it will fit.

EDIT: Just realised that is the 2023 bike that Sigma are selling, but even that is reduced by 20% to £3600.

It's been far too long since any really good deals like that (on a complete bike) have been around.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Obviously, different companies have different practices as ours is cyclescheme and you have to apply for a specific amount. I think there can also be problems with receiving an item of a lower value than the voucher as it's like buying a crap house with a large mortgage, if the bank ends up owning it they lose money.

That is a cracking bike and can update the wheels next year. I am a bit tempted.... :/

• daniel_b
    It would seem an odd practice to just provide a voucher for a given amount, rather than match it up against a bike and or components.

I'm fairly sure the OP could get it for less than 3k if he asked, as otherwise you'd end up trying to find clothes/accessories to get your moneys worth.

However as I gather the bike is exactly 3k, that's perfect, and as I always say with C2W, the more you spend.......
    The more you save B)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Don't forget to factor in the final value fee at the end of the lease period, e.g. 12 months or extension options.
  • It's been far too long since any really good deals like that (on a complete bike) have been around

Can't quite remember where, but I was reading an article on the state of the bike industry recently. Couple of people (lbs owners I think) saying it was the mid range where you will start to see deals in the next 12 months. Suggestion that lots of places are overstocked on these types of bikes and will struggle to shift them.
  • I chatted with my local evans bike shop this evening. They checked for stock and unfortunately they are all held in their warehouse. They did confirm my view on sizing though and so I think I will order after your feedback too.

Glad I called as I nearly had an issue though as evans charge £20 for delivery and he said this had to be paid for out of the voucher. I said I can’t as the bike uses all my voucher (bar £1). Thankfully he has said if I bring the voucher in he will order it and waive the delivery fee.

So. I think I’m decided !
    Thanks everyone for the responses to my thread 👍🏻
  • katani
    katani Posts: 132
    me-109 said:

Don't forget to factor in the final value fee at the end of the lease period, e.g. 12 months or extension options.

Cyclescheme normally includes an option to extend the lease for another 36 months free of charge, which in practical terms means it's yours, even though formally it isn't.
  • ugo.santalucia
    katani said:

me-109 said:

Cyclescheme normally includes an option to extend the lease for another 36 months free of charge, which in practical terms means it's yours, even though formally it isn't.
    You still have to pay a small fee at the end... I think it's 7% of the initial value after 4 years

• ugo.santalucia
    to throw a spanner in your works, when I got my Bianchi Sprint, had I had 3K, I would have upgraded to the Aria, which is stunning. They never look good on the website, but in the flesh is a stunner.
    Rim brake version with Ultegra is now under 3K. I bought mine from the dealer in Wrexham, which I highly recommend.
    https://www.bianchibikes.co.uk/product-page/bianchi-aria-ultegra-2020
  • Also worth noting that a lot of retailers will charge you an additional "fee" if the bike you want is reduced below it's RRP. They take too much of a hit otherwise with cycle scheme vouchers (apparently)
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023
    katani said:

me-109 said:

My provider by default extend it to the full 5 years, pretty sure the paperwork said at that point you owe nothing, which is pretty handy.
    Otherwise it will be a nominal amount due to depreciation.
    I'd be surprised if they have a system in place to collect it, but I'll find out in due course, as I think my first 1k purchase will be 5 years ago in 2024.

Also, how many people will leave their company of employment during that 2-5 year period - quite a few I would wager.

EDIT: I got it wrong, they extend it by a further 5 years, so 6 years in total, and this is the proof:

I guess not all C2W providers will provide that option.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    daniel_b said:

katani said:

me-109 said:

My provider by default extend it to the full 5 years, pretty sure the paperwork said at that point you owe nothing, which is pretty handy.
    Otherwise it will be a nominal amount due to depreciation.
    I'd be surprised if they have a system in place to collect it, but I'll find out in due course, as I think my first 1k purchase will be 5 years ago in 2024.

Also, how many people will leave their company of employment during that 2-5 year period - quite a few I would wager.

EDIT: I got it wrong, they extend it by a further 5 years, so 6 years in total, and this is the proof:

I guess not all C2W providers will provide that option.
    Thats interesting, which provider is that?
  • ugo.santalucia

Also worth noting that a lot of retailers will charge you an additional "fee" if the bike you want is reduced below it's RRP. They take too much of a hit otherwise with cycle scheme vouchers (apparently)

Also worth noting that a lot of retailers will charge you an additional "fee" if the bike you want is reduced below it's RRP. They take too much of a hit otherwise with cycle scheme vouchers (apparently)

yes, Cyclescheme charge them 10%, so typically they split it with the customer if the bike is reduced. If you are lucky, it is only going to be 2.5% for you.

• daniel_b
    edited March 2023

Thats interesting, which provider is that?

That's a company called Cycle Solutions - you can buy a reasonable range of bikes direct from them, and I believe they give you an extra 10% off the headline price or you can get a voucher to use at a large number of physical and online retailers.

Looks like as the 'hire period' is extended to 6 years, although you pay it back in 1, there is then nothing additional to pay - bonus.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • So the bike has arrived and I’ve had a quick look at setting it up and first impressions are the handlebars are really wide !

Centre to centre is 44cm but outside to outside on top of the bar tape is 46.5cm.

This isn’t advertised anywhere that I can see. Does anyone know what the 56cm frame comes with as I don’t fancy these wide bars on the 58cm frame.

Thanks
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    edited March 2023
  • daniel_b
    edited March 2023

So the bike has arrived and I’ve had a quick look at setting it up and first impressions are the handlebars are really wide !

Centre to centre is 44cm but outside to outside on top of the bar tape is 46.5cm.

This isn’t advertised anywhere that I can see. Does anyone know what the 56cm frame comes with as I don’t fancy these wide bars on the 58cm frame.

Thanks

woof, that must be like driving a bus :D

I managed to find some documentation for a 2020 model as below:

That doesn't specifically say what the handlebar widths are, but I would have thought in the current day, unfortunately a 58 likely would be fitted with a 44.
    Usually modern bikes in 56 & 54 come with a 42 c2c in my experience.
    50 & 52 (Or 51 in Cannondale's case) would have 40s, and 58/60 the 44s.
    If they fit the 38s as stock, I suspect it will be on the women's range.

Is it worth asking the retailer (Who are they?) if there might be an option to change it, or you simply change it/get it vhanged yourself, and sell the original on - although how much demand there will be for a 44cm wide set of bars remains to be seen.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks for sharing this. I will ask the shop (evans) if they can do anything or I might consider swapping for the 56cm frame if that has 42cm bars but given the shape I think I’d actually choose 40cm wide bars in this style.

Quite how Cannondale can include such wide / square bars on an aero styled bike is beyond me. Especially without sharing that info in the specs.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Virtually all the manufacturers seem to do it. I can't imagine there's a single tall rider in the pro peloton that's using the same width bars as we'd be given buying the same bike off the shelf. With all the proprietary parts and integration it's harder than ever to swap them out too.