Paris-Nice 2023 ***Spoilers

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited March 2023 in Pro race
It's Pogacar vs Vingegaard time, once again!

Joining their party will be a host of top sprinters, but a rather lightweight under card of GC riders.
(S Yates, Gaudu, Bardet, Martinez, Powless, Skejlmose, Jorgenson, Haig but not much else.)

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    What has Danni Martinez done to upset you, @blazing_saddles ?
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 628
    You forgot about Warbasse too. He claims to have been passing Pog lots in training this winter.

Think there's more genuine GC contenders in J-V's team for T-A than there are in the entire P-N field.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • blazing_saddles
    andyp said:

What has Danni Martinez done to upset you, @blazing_saddles ?

Omission rectified.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    Merlier from Bennett from Mads in today’s sprint.

Pogacar picks up 6 bonus seconds in the intermediates and is already 3rd on GC. Maybe he’s worried about Jumbo and the TTT on Tuesday.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    red.rider said:

Merlier from Bennett from Mads in today’s sprint.

Pogacar picks up 6 bonus seconds in the intermediates and is already 3rd on GC. Maybe he’s worried about Jumbo and the TTT on Tuesday.

I think the TTT might be the decisive stage given the insane strength of JV's TT squad overall, so sensible to build pressure on JV wherever Pog can.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    Crash
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,131

Crash

1.2km to go, after a 90kmh bunch descent, peloton still going over 60kmh. Hope the guy with the yellow flag trying to tell them there's a lane divider is OK.
  • kingstongraham
    Pedersen wins the reduced sprint from Kooij.

Weird that JV don't think Kooij is up to the job of sprinting in a GT yet.
  • blazing_saddles
    De Lie finding these sprints a step up in class.
    Once again out of position when the time came.
  • kingstongraham

I think it might have been Beullens who was piloting him through before they broke off to show the crash, then all of a sudden they went back (at the roundabout) - he was at the front and De Lie was in about 25th. No chance from there.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    The swinging left and right around the roundabout made a mess of it for quite a lot of riders. It seemed a lot more rollercoasterish than initially implied, and one that favoured the bold.

(Incidentally, quite a few fallers today - looked partly like bunch rustiness, but some of the road furniture looked a little evil)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Lesson learned - never pick the new kid for PTP after seeing one (impressive) performance by him.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Pross said:

Lesson learned - never pick the new kid for PTP after seeing one (impressive) performance by him.
    Merlier and Bennett were out of position as well. Think it's more down to the parcours. De Lie ought to be more of a Pedersen type classics sprinter/rider than a pure sprinter, so might not really always be in it in bunch sprints even in future years.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    The run in was difficult as who took charge was unclear seeing no break was up the road ... That mass half wheeling plays with your head
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    Fortune favours the brave. Dodgy run in, handled perfectly by Mads P. Nice to see Magnus Cort in 3rd as well
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Pure sprinters being overly reliant on their lead out trains is a good talking point for a cycling podcast this week. 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    edited March 2023
    Are we going to see some weird surprises in the ttt because of the new rules letting a strong tester not being held back in final few km having to keep their 3rd/5th man across the line ?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200

Are we going to see some weird surprises in the ttt because of the new rules letting a strong tester not being held back in final few km having to keep their 3rd/5th man across the line ?

I doubt anyone has really got deep into strategy tbh. Jumbo-Visma say they're not going to ride differently, UAE might do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595

I doubt anyone has really got deep into strategy tbh. Jumbo-Visma say they're not going to ride differently, UAE might do.
    Surely they want to get the fastest time for their GC rider?
    That means him and whoever can drag him across the line. Seems too obvious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

JV have 5 decent TT riders in the team though, so not much benefit to them of riding it differently until the last km.

UAE might find it quicker to burn off riders a bit earlier and leave only 3 riders who can keep up the pace.
  • kingstongraham
    Schmid is out, so Quickstep have nothing approaching a GC rider, and a couple of smart TT riders. They shouldn't hang around for anyone who can't keep up.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

JV have 5 decent TT riders in the team though, so not much benefit to them of riding it differently until the last km.

UAE might find it quicker to burn off riders a bit earlier and leave only 3 riders who can keep up the pace.
    That's what I meant by "whoever can drag him across the line".
    A strong team will have more riders at the pointy end of the race.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    Lotto going solo to the line
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

How early do they jettison weight ? Too soon you might over cook it mid course
  • mididoctors
    Wtf jumbo helmets
  • mididoctors
    This is quite interesting
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2023

pblakeney said:

How early do they jettison weight ? Too soon you might over cook it mid course
    Too late and your GC rider is losing time.
    That's the DS's cross to bear. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    Yates boosting his position a bit here
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    I'm quite enjoying this - a bit more jeopardy and intrigue than the standard TTT
  • mididoctors
    Pog saving a good handful.of secs on his own