Brake housing peeling off at integrated bar entry holes

Took on building a new bike and have to admit I am very inexperienced.

I noted that the brake housing is peeling off at the entry holes of the integrated handlebar (picture attached) . This only happened after connecting the (rim) brakes and squeezing the lever a couple of times. I replaced the housing again and same thing happend. The housing is pristine untill I pull the brake lever.

Is this safe? Would it be ok if I simply cover with electrical tape and bar tape? Or am I doing someting grossly wrong? Any suggestions on how to avoid this from happening? Thanks

Comments

• trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409
    edited February 2023
    What make of outer cable is it ?
    It would suggest that the cable is stuck to the outer or there is lots of friction in there .The outer casing shouldn't move when you pull the brake .
    I would suggest a slightly longer hose pushed fully into the bars then into the brake caliper with more of a loop .
    .The hole in the bars also looks to be more in tge front rather than the bottom of the bars where it would create a smoother entry
  • DDre
    DDre Posts: 8
    Thanks for your help. The inners and outers are both Campagnolo. The outers are cut long quite long already. The front break comes from underneath the handlebar straight into the rim caliper. The rear goes into the frame with a cable stop and it has a steel ferrule. Both front and rear are peeling at handlebar. The cables are quite crowded withing the handlebar itself with not much room to wiggle around.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    As said above, the outer shouldn't move very much of at all if its seated correctly in the lever and calliper. Do your brakes work effectively? I would not expect them too with that much movement in the outer cable.
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 409
    edited February 2023
    DDre said:

Thanks for your help. The inners and outers are both Campagnolo. The outers are cut long quite long already. The front break comes from underneath the handlebar straight into the rim caliper. The rear goes into the frame with a cable stop and it has a steel ferrule. Both front and rear are peeling at handlebar. The cables are quite crowded withing the handlebar itself with not much room to wiggle around.

Disconnect at the caliper and push tge outer in as best you can to make it seat inside the bars ,I'm pretty sure you'll get an inch or 2 more .and if possible seat the brake outer behind the shift outer and tape it in place
  • DDre
    DDre Posts: 8
    Thanks. You were absolutely right. Re-done the outer housing and managed to get it one inch deeper in the shifters.There has been no sheering of the housing since.

The rear brake housing seems tightens / moves when I press the lever. The brakes work absolutely fine. I suspect the movement is now due to the curve I gave the outer housing before entering the frame as the inner tries to straighten out under tension. Is this something to expect?
  • Once you tape it up it should eradicate any small movement and the inner cable will slide rather than pull the outer .
    Just make sure you tape it nice and tight .
  • would it be worth sanding the hole in the carbon bars a bit? Sometimes the edges can be quite sharp
    left the forum March 2023
  • would it be worth sanding the hole in the carbon bars a bit? Sometimes the edges can be quite sharp

I've had bars I've done that before due to sharp edges .Normally use round jewellers files