Hive Experts - ZOOM App - Queries

All, need some assistance. My mother is using Zoom on an iPad to join in some group meetings periodically.

Issues:
1. The iPad is old tech now, several years out of date, does not have facial recognition, or even fingerprint thing to access it.
2. Her hearing is not great, so message notifications that play a sound if any, often get missed.
3. Her eyesight is really not great (hey. she's headed for 90!), and all the fiddling with text size and high contrast settings don't seem to make much difference to the usability for her.
4. Logging into Zoom is *fairly* simple as it appears to retain at least last few meeting numbers and password, but still need to select at least one from the TINY dropdown list
5. I've never actually used it, so no experience with how it sets up and works, defaults etc

Questions:

1. if I update her to a new and much larger iPad with facial recognition, can the Zoom credentials be saved as defaults with FaceID access?
2. Anyone have any experience with improving the visual layout of Zoom for someone with poor eyesight?

Once it's is going, she's ok - just needs to listen in and that goes fine, but the login process trips her up very easily. Since I am not there to fix it hands on, I'm looking to make it as robust a process as I can.

TIA
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• As an alternative could you get a cheap laptop? Chromebooks start from about £150.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Yes, I think as big a screen as you can get is the best bet. Not sure there are that many options to customise the appearance of Zoom, but getting login details saved in her Keychain would help with login. On the desktop app, when you open the app you see all meetings to which you have accepted invitations on the left hand side so if clearly named you just need to click on the meeting and in you go.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally. Plus I have her on my family sharing account so she gets music streamed. Apple Music has been great for playlist and the ease of the Hey Siri play Frank Sinatra or whatever function. I have her iPad connected to a hifi for that.

Biggest issue is that even a bigger screen isn’t the solution. She no longer watches TV as at any size the images are still sufficiently blurred she gives up. I’ve a 77” OLED here running 4K content and even that doesn’t work for her. I considered getting her one for Airplay from iPad, but the Zoom thing is about hearing the chatter, rather than any visual stuff. Just needs a bullet-proof login option.

Might try an old laptop laying about though and see if that will do it without too many Help Desk calls to me.. 😀
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally...

... Just needs a bullet-proof login option... 😀

A couple of anecdotal comments. Don't underestimate how much older generations are reluctant to change. Keep things as similar as possible.
    I don't have an iPad but with my face recognition iPhone once I've opened it up using facial recognition there is no more logging on required apart from banking etc.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally. Plus I have her on my family sharing account so she gets music streamed. Apple Music has been great for playlist and the ease of the Hey Siri play Frank Sinatra or whatever function. I have her iPad connected to a hifi for that.

Biggest issue is that even a bigger screen isn’t the solution. She no longer watches TV as at any size the images are still sufficiently blurred she gives up. I’ve a 77” OLED here running 4K content and even that doesn’t work for her. I considered getting her one for Airplay from iPad, but the Zoom thing is about hearing the chatter, rather than any visual stuff. Just needs a bullet-proof login option.

Might try an old laptop laying about though and see if that will do it without too many Help Desk calls to me.. 😀

Good luck. My mum was pretty good learning laptop stuff in her late 70s, but at least her eyesight was good, even if anything complicated got her a bit flustered and she'd either turn the thing off or give me a helpdesk call. Sorry I've not got any solutions for your particular problem - very frustrating when one seemingly simple step proves problematic, especially when such connectivity for older people can be such a lifeline.

For our weekly 'Zoom Inn' thing a few friends have been doing since lockdown, we've finally given up on Zoom and moved to a Facebook video call... gets over the logging in faff (one person just calls the group) and the constant updates Zoom needs, and the occasional glitchiness. Though I know that won't be a solution for your mum.
  • pblakeney said:

Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally...

A couple of anecdotal comments. Don't underestimate how much older generations are reluctant to change. Keep things as similar as possible.
    I don't have an iPad but with my face recognition iPhone once I've opened it up using facial recognition there is no more logging on required apart from banking etc.
    Oh, change is the last thing I want to do... hence the desire to just update an iPad in the hope it solves the issue.

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Oh, change is the last thing I want to do... hence the desire to just update an iPad in the hope it solves the issue.

I think that it will but you want an iPad user to confirm.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally. Plus I have her on my family sharing account so she gets music streamed. Apple Music has been great for playlist and the ease of the Hey Siri play Frank Sinatra or whatever function. I have her iPad connected to a hifi for that.

Good luck. My mum was pretty good learning laptop stuff in her late 70s, but at least her eyesight was good, even if anything complicated got her a bit flustered and she'd either turn the thing off or give me a helpdesk call. Sorry I've not got any solutions for your particular problem - very frustrating when one seemingly simple step proves problematic, especially when such connectivity for older people can be such a lifeline.

For our weekly 'Zoom Inn' thing a few friends have been doing since lockdown, we've finally given up on Zoom and moved to a Facebook video call... gets over the logging in faff (one person just calls the group) and the constant updates Zoom needs, and the occasional glitchiness. Though I know that won't be a solution for your mum.
    Was not *that* long ago my mother was really quite capable with the tech stuff, and even now she gets the concepts pretty well. It is the frustratingly simple things like this Zoom login that simply reinforce the view that she's "too old" for this stuff. She's only using it because at her age, getting out and about to meet up with friends etc is getting beyond her.

I'm now in charge of any and all email and/or banking transactional stuff since she elected to ditch her mobile phone a year or so ago, and the company who provisioned the email service she used folded. It took 6 months for us to even find out the email account was dead...

The vision loss is the worst bit for her. She was a serious word puzzle user, crosswords and similar, and loved doing jigsaw puzzles, both real and on the iPad. Now, she can't do any of those things.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688

Had considered the laptop route, but seriously trying to avoid a platform change. Has taken me years to get her used to the tech, and she’s kinda got the hang of iOs finally. Plus I have her on my family sharing account so she gets music streamed. Apple Music has been great for playlist and the ease of the Hey Siri play Frank Sinatra or whatever function. I have her iPad connected to a hifi for that.

The vision loss is the worst bit for her. She was a serious word puzzle user, crosswords and similar, and loved doing jigsaw puzzles, both real and on the iPad. Now, she can't do any of those things.

As my gran said frequently in her later years, "It's not funny getting old". Must be tough on your mum, losing all those activities. Good luck on getting something sorted. Just a thought - have you tapped into local charities or sight-loss support groups for ideas? Just wondering if there are any voice prompt options, or anything else for those with little or no sight...
  • pblakeney

As my gran said frequently in her later years, "It's not funny getting old". Must be tough on your mum, losing all those activities. Good luck on getting something sorted. Just a thought - have you tapped into local charities or sight-loss support groups for ideas? Just wondering if there are any voice prompt options, or anything else for those with little or no sight...
    That's a fair point which I knew sounded familiar. There is "Accessibility" in settings on my laptop and my iPhone so I would expect it on the iPads. You may not even need a new one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

That's a fair point which I knew sounded familiar. There is "Accessibility" in settings on my laptop and my iPhone so I would expect it on the iPads. You may not even need a new one.
    Apple stops doing updates for iPads past a certain age
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Apple stops doing updates for iPads past a certain age
    True but they still work. My elderly neighbour has a V1 and it is still plodding on.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    Re the Zoom login issue, if rhe Zoom iOS app is the same as the desktop version, you only need to log in to your Zoom account once and then it should all be saved in your keychain. If your mum is sent a proper invite to each meeting (i.e. an email with a button to accept the invitation, not just the meeting details in the email text) then I think the meetings should just show up in the Zoom app. Then it's just one tap to join a meeting.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition